Deborella
Level 2: Rookie

Blocking spam and scam numbers

I've been searching for a solution to block unwanted numbers and have tried to follow the advice below.

I've logged in to my account and get as far as  "Add-ons' , click on the hyperlink (there is no manage button) and it just takes me to the 'how to forward my phone calls to another number ..."  There isn't an option to 'create a new rule'. 

What have I missed?

Hope someone can help! 

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.53.41 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 10.54.10 pm.png

"If you log into your account https://www.my.telstra.com.au/myaccount/home there are options in here for you to set up blocking.

If you do not already have your Telstra ID set up you will need to do this part first.

Once you are logged in, under Plans & usage, select Home Phone, scroll to the bottom of the page to the Add-ons, click the blue Manage button, click on Call Forwarding. To Block numbers you know, click on Create New Rule (you can set the name here, eg UnwelcomeCalls, rule status should be ON. Set the call forward number to 1272250025, for Call Types, select All Calls, and then Caller Types is Selected Numbers. Then you can Add Phone Number. Don't try to add too many at one time, eg add 123456789 and then click save. You can continue adding as you need to. You may also wish to add a block against Incoming International Calls,  the ones we most commonly block are 001, 011, 009 and 0011.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES
Level 20: Director

Re: Blocking spam and scam numbers

You can never block it all not matter what you do.

First thing is to do is put your number/s on the Do Not Call Register . You can actually call Telstra and block certain countries but with VPN's it's easy for them to get around it.

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Deborella

Thanks Ozmoz .. Every phone we have is on listed on the thoroughly useless Do Not Call Register. The advice given on the forum was from Telstra ... sigh ..
Highlighted
Deborella

Level 20: Director

@Deborella wrote:
Thanks Ozmoz .. Every phone we have is on listed on the thoroughly useless Do Not Call Register. The advice given on the forum was from Telstra ... sigh ..

@Deborella That would be because the spam calling is coming from oversea's who don't have to adhere to the registry. There was a couple of businesses locally who recently got heavy fines for ignoring the listing.

Telstra does offer a help page to provide further information...

https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/unwelcome-calls

Also, people have had luck with using a Telstra Call Guardian 301

More information on that phone at Telstra Exchange

Mmmmm... hot pineapple donut and a coffee!
Technical Support
Technical Support

@Deborella until the issue with logging these yourself is resolved, please call our Unwelcome Calls team for further assistance. If you have a list of numbers you would like to block one of our consultants will be happy to help you. Our team are there from 6am until midnight 7 days a week, and this is something we can definitely help with. The Do Not Call Register is definitely worth being listed on, however, if the calls which you are receiving are 'scam calls' then this is not something the DNCR is able to assist with - as they help with genuine businesses. And as @Ozmoz has mentioned...the Call Guardian handset! We think it's one of the best things ever - you can block and allow callers at the touch of a button.

I am a member of the Telstra Unwelcome Calls Team.
If you would like to contact us please call 1800805996 - 6am til midnight (7 days).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

That feature in myaccount is no longer active
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Deborella

Why has that feature been removed?  With the current explosion of unwanted callers, the invasion of privacy, the preying of trolls on the vulnerable. and the fact that the 'Do Not Call Register' can't block the calls, surely Telstra could develop a solution? Telstra's enormous profits could surely be used to assist customers to rid themselves of these predators. 

Deborella

Why has that feature been removed? With the current explosion of unwanted callers, the invasion of privacy, the preying of trolls on the vulnerable. and the fact that the 'Do Not Call Register' can't block the calls, surely Telstra could develop a solution? Telstra's enormous profits could surely be used to assist customers to rid themselves of these predators. Re suggestion to purchase another handset .. customers have to expend more money on purchasing another piece of equipment, when previously a feature was provided at no cost. More revenue raising.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more