CrowdSupport®
Gameboy
Level 6: Bloodhound

Call Control - How does it work?

Answered

Hello,

I have heard of call control, but the Telstra website is very vague as to what level of barring is available (http://telstra.com.au/home-phone/features-services/index.htm?red=/features_services/call_control.htm...)

From reading various websites (like Whingepool/Whirlpool), it seems you have some options like

• Local Only
  • Local and STD Only
  • Local, STD and IDD Only

My question is how does it work exactly.  If call control is on (and I have selected barring of Local STD and IDD Only), can I make a phone call to a STD number, or do I have to enter the PIN, turn call control off, and then make the phone call?  How does this affect calling mobiles?

I've tried looking at the user guide as well and ended up scratching my head???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Call Control - How does it work?

@Gameboy wrote:

You must Lock the phone when you want the call control enabled, and unlock it when you want to use it. There is no one time unlock code, you need to open it, make your call, and lock it again.

Hi Ben,

To clarify the whole thing.  If I have call control on with the selected level of barring of local calls only, how does this work?

1. Call control will not allow me to make any phone calls.  If I turn off Call Control, I can only make calls to local calls.

OR

2. Call control will only allow me to make calls to local numbers.  If I want to make a STD phone call, I need to turn call control off.

What is the cost of Abbreviated Dialing?

Thank you, you have been helpful.

Call Control is an additional barring level. All PSTN services have a Network Access level (Usually set to "All Calls" but can be changed at no charge). Call Control gives customers the ability to change between 2 barring levels.

If your Call Control Barring is set to "Local Only" but your Network Access level is set to All Calls, then call control needs to be on to stop calls from being made to STD, Mobile and 190x numbers. If call control is off then you will be able to make calls to all numbers (Based on your Network Access level).

Pricing can be found at http://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/features-services/#abbreviated-dialling

• Up to 8 storage numbers – $3.30 per month.
  • Up to 40 storage numbers – $5.06 per month.
  • Up to 60 storage numbers – $6.16 per month.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 22: Superhuman

If call control is on (and I have selected barring of Local STD and IDD Only), can I make a phone call to a STD number,

No – otherwise it would defeat the purpose of having Call Control (being in the active state), wouldn't it?

or do I have to enter the PIN, turn call control off, and then make the phone call?

Looks like the procedure to me. No one-off override for a single instance of calling, as far as I can see.

How does this affect calling mobiles?

Mobile numbers are grouped under STD, for the purposes of determining network access restrictions.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Gameboy

Looks like the procedure to me. No one-off override for a single instance of calling, as far as I can see.

And there lies the problem.  Everyone thinks thats the procedure, but no one can actually answer it, or what levels or barring are available.

Mobile numbers are grouped under STD, for the purposes of determining network access restrictions.

That's handy information, thank you.

And there lies the problem.  Everyone thinks thats the procedure,

Wanna bet that the procedure works as stated? If it works, there is no problem – the functionality requirement is satisfied, and the user outcome (of being able to successfully place an STD call) achieved.

You didn't actually ask the question of whether there is the alternative of using a one-off override for a single instance of calling, just whether the ‘long’ procedure will work.

but no one can actually answer it,

I can't tell you whether a one-off override is an alternative because it's not stated in the documentation (given there is no actual need, even though I'd agree it'd be a good idea for completeness' sake, if such an option is part of the current implementation of the product) to which I have access, and I don't use Call Control at home so I can't draw from personal experience.

or what levels or barring are available.

That information is available in the internal knowledge-base. You can ask a consultant (on the phone, or via Live Chat) to tell you the different levels of network access restrictions available in Call Control; tell him or her it's in KnowHow, under Work Instructions, if some guidance is required to find it.

Obviously, it's not my place to disclose the actual information to you here and now, since I'm not a Telstra representative.

That's handy information, thank you.

You're welcome.

——
Departed from CrowdSupport as of 12 June 2013, when the fun factor for me had finally completely evaporated with all the recent site layout and functionality changes, and the apparent efforts to turn a community goodwill-powered vehicle into something closer to a customer service channel.

The opinions and sentiments expressed above are mine only, and do not necessarily reflect Telstra's views or position. I work at Telstra, but my participation here is strictly in a personal capacity as a fellow Australian telecommunications services consumer, and you can safely assume you are not my customer, client, patron, benefactor or friend when I post in this forum.
Highlighted
Gameboy

I guess I'll wait for a Telstra rep to look through here and post the required information form KnowHow, and explain the functions.

I gather from the instructions it works as I guessed, however I'm not sure if you can still process 1300 / 13xxxx or 1800 numbers with call control on or off - but this may depend on the level of barring.  I would ring Telstra, however the wait time is currently 10 minutes, and the point for a forum is generally for future reference for others.

I'm not sure if you can still process 1300 / 13xxxx or 1800 numbers with call control on or off - but this may depend on the level of barring.

Correct.

I would ring Telstra, however the wait time is currently 10 minutes, and the point for a forum is generally for future reference for others.

I went onto Live Chat a few minutes ago to ask the question about a one-off override, and the wait time was seven seconds (and I was put through to a consultant even before the full seven seconds have elapsed).

She advised you can dial the Call Control PIN followed by the number (of a barred type) you want to call, and barring will remain active. If you have Call Control on your home phone already, I'd suggest you try that out and see if it works.

——

Ben_F

OK, So lets run through Call Control:

Call control is a product that allows you to lock your phone down so that you can't make Certian types of calls. There are about 8 or 9 levels, but I'll run through the most common:

Local Calls Only

Local and STD and Mobile calls Only - This is used to bar access to 190x Numbers

1800 Numbers Only - Used for Full barring of a Home Phone to 1800 numbers

Telstra Numbers only - This restricts the phone to 132200 only

ALL barring levels will allow you to call Telstra and 000, and if you have setup Abbreviated Dialing this will override Call Control (I'll get into this in a moment). 

To answer the most common question I get asked about call control: You cannot bar access to mobile calls, and keep access to STD calls (and vice versa).

You must Lock the phone when you want the call control enabled, and unlock it when you want to use it. There is no one time unlock code, you need to open it, make your call, and lock it again.

Little Known but useful fact: If you want to bar access to calls, but still have people be able to call specific numbers, you can setup "Abbreviated Dialing". This service (Monthly charges apply) allows you to pre-program a set of numbers that can be called even if call control is enabled.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, ask em here or send me a PM Smiley Happy

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Gameboy

You must Lock the phone when you want the call control enabled, and unlock it when you want to use it. There is no one time unlock code, you need to open it, make your call, and lock it again.

Hi Ben,

To clarify the whole thing.  If I have call control on with the selected level of barring of local calls only, how does this work?

1. Call control will not allow me to make any phone calls.  If I turn off Call Control, I can only make calls to local calls.

OR

2. Call control will only allow me to make calls to local numbers.  If I want to make a STD phone call, I need to turn call control off.

Ben_F
Accepted Solution

@Gameboy wrote:

Hi Ben,

OR

Call Control is an additional barring level. All PSTN services have a Network Access level (Usually set to "All Calls" but can be changed at no charge). Call Control gives customers the ability to change between 2 barring levels.

If your Call Control Barring is set to "Local Only" but your Network Access level is set to All Calls, then call control needs to be on to stop calls from being made to STD, Mobile and 190x numbers. If call control is off then you will be able to make calls to all numbers (Based on your Network Access level).

Pricing can be found at http://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/features-services/#abbreviated-dialling

New Users - Click Here!

View solution in original post

MrRooster
Level 2: Rookie

@Ben_F wrote:

@Gameboy wrote:

Hi Ben,

OR

Can I request my Network Access level be set to emergency and Telstra only?

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now