CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
RodD-99
Level 1: Cadet

Can I plug in NBN phone line into home sockets?

Answered

Just had NBN installed with Telstra modem. Connection type is Hybrid Fibre Coaxial. I have plugged a handsfree master base station handset into back of modem and it works OK. I have an internal phone socket just near modem and wondering if the copper home cable is disabled at the grey distribution box outside the house and internal wiring for multiple sockets is OK, can I plug the cable from the modem into the internal socket and it would make the other internal sockets also work for the home phone. One of these sockets is in a lift. Home is new build 2 years old. Thanks in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Can I plug in NBN phone line into home sockets?

Before phone sockets can be used the lead in cable from the street will have to be disconnected. The phone socket on the back of the modem will only support a maximum of three phones, so can only use two addition phones plugged  into the phone sockets plus the existing phone base. Because the NBN is not guaranteed to work during a power outage you will need to find some other way of providing a phone in the lift.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

Before phone sockets can be used the lead in cable from the street will have to be disconnected. The phone socket on the back of the modem will only support a maximum of three phones, so can only use two addition phones plugged  into the phone sockets plus the existing phone base. Because the NBN is not guaranteed to work during a power outage you will need to find some other way of providing a phone in the lift.

Level 22: Superhuman

Do you have an uninterrupted power supply gor your lift? If so...you could have your modem wired i to that. But.. HFC NBN needs electricity in the street to power it... even if your modem has power
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
RodD-99

Thanks, that is what I suspected. I plan on using an old mobile in the lift with a prepaid $70 annual SIM card as the backup.
RodD-99

Thanks. As per above, I will have an old mobile in the lift as the backup. The lift manufacturer offers a battery backup 3G mobile unit but at a $1K plus SIM it was getting bit expensive.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now