CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
BigBad64
Level 2: Rookie

Charged for diverted calls while line faulty

Answered

I recently had to report a fault to 132203 re a noisy line. The call centre employee asked me if I wanted incoming calls diverted to a mobile until the fault was fixed. I asked if this would cost me anything and was told "No, because it is a fault it costs nothing." So, based on this advice I went ahead with the diversion.

I have just received my account and we have been charged for each diverted call. Smiley Mad

Under "Type" it says "Non Telstra Mobiles - Forwarded". I was not asked if the mobile I was diverting calls to was a Telstra service, I don't know if that would have made any difference. I was just told it would be free. If I had been told it was going to cost me I would not have requested the diversion.

I reported the fault on a Saturday afternoon and it wasn't fixed till the following Thursday. Reading the government "Customer Service Guarantee", it appears that accepting the diversion (or "alternative phone service") also means I am not eligible for compensation for the fault not being fixed by COB Tuesday.  

Great. I've just come back to Telstra and things were going so well.

I will be ringing the accounts number on Monday and requesting they refund the diverted call costs. Anyone tell me what the go is in the meantime? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
BigBad64
Accepted Solution

Re: Charged for diverted calls while line faulty

Thanks for replying Ben.

Contacted 132200 just then and after the call was answered promptly the operator agreed I had been incorrectly charged and arranged a credit. Smiley Very Happy 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

@BigBad64 wrote:

I recently had to report a fault to 132203 re a noisy line. The call centre employee asked me if I wanted incoming calls diverted to a mobile until the fault was fixed. I asked if this would cost me anything and was told "No, because it is a fault it costs nothing." So, based on this advice I went ahead with the diversion.

Sounds about right for Diversion from what I recall

@BigBad64 wrote:

I have just received my account and we have been charged for each diverted call. Smiley Mad

Under "Type" it says "Non Telstra Mobiles - Forwarded". I was not asked if the mobile I was diverting calls to was a Telstra service, I don't know if that would have made any difference. I was just told it would be free. If I had been told it was going to cost me I would not have requested the diversion. 

They show the heading as Non Telstra Mobiles as the (normal, non fault) diversions can cost different amounts.

BigBad64 wrote: 

I reported the fault on a Saturday afternoon and it wasn't fixed till the following Thursday. Reading the government "Customer Service Guarantee", it appears that accepting the diversion (or "alternative phone service") also means I am not eligible for compensation for the fault not being fixed by COB Tuesday.  

That would be correct, even if you refused the service you wouldn't receive payment as it was offerred to you. That being said, its worked out by a robot.

BigBad64 wrote: 

I will be ringing the accounts number on Monday and requesting they refund the diverted call costs. Anyone tell me what the go is in the meantime? 

You can try LiveChat (http://livechat.telstra.com ) who are pretty awesome at fixing Account Queries, and they are open 24/7.

B.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

BigBad64
Accepted Solution

Thanks for replying Ben.

Contacted 132200 just then and after the call was answered promptly the operator agreed I had been incorrectly charged and arranged a credit. Smiley Very Happy 

Level 17: Bureau Chief

@BigBad64 wrote:

Thanks for replying Ben.

I must admit that when I saw the description of the problem, it seemed cut and dry. Even if there was a misunderstanding about the mobile not being a Telstra one, I didn't expect you to be held to the payment. And my initial thought was: Just call up and they'll fix it. It's not always all bad :-)

--
Kevin
[ I am a Telstra Employee however my posts here are done in a personal capacity.]
vonni
Level 1: Cadet

The same thing happened to me about 6 weeks ago. I was told there would be no charge when offered the diversion because the fault to our landlines wouldnt be fixed for about 5 days. So I agreed, especially as at the time I was expecting some important calls. When my bill arrived I had been charged. Not impressed to be given the wrong information! Even worse though, tonight I had no landline again due to a fault and a diversion to my mobile phone had been set up without my permission or knowledge. I only noticed it because someone called me on my landline who didnt want to ring my mobile and I told them that was what they had called, they retried twice before I realised what had happened and  also tested it myself after the call. When I spoke to customer service I was told there is no charge for the first 24 hours and he took the divert off for me. But what is very wrong here is that I can't make changes without having to identify myself, which is fine as I do agree with the privacy laws, but why is it that Telstra can make this decision for me without even notifying me. If I hadn't recieved that phone call I may not have even know that this divert had been set up for days and would have been charged for something that I definately would not have wanted after my last experience. Not many people ring me on my landline particulary in the evenings and on weekends and to be honest if it didnt happen to come up in conversation as it did tonight, there was genuine potential I may not have been aware of it until my next bill. There should be a law against this, anything involving extra charges should not be set up with out our permission, let alone without advising us so that at the very least we can ring up and cancel it. The customer service was great but the process automating call diversion seriously needs to be reviewed

kathyh
Level 1: Cadet

Have just had a diversion put on for my home phone to my prepaid mobile as the line has a fault,  I was really suprised after making a phone call to get a text from Telstra telling me my bonus talk time was gone and my credit was below $5.  After ringing the faults department and quoting my case number and explaining to them what had happened I was informed that a diversion only goes one way (incoming calls) not outgoing calls.  I tried to explain to the operator how ridiculous that is, why would I pay for outgoing phone calls from my mobile when I am on a plan that receives free international and local and telstra mobile calls at a cost of $130.00 per month.  So they are virtually saying that I should be happy to donate 2 weeks of my hard earned money to them for no service.  I would have to be stupid.  Apparently I was not offered the outgoing calls, which I tried to explain I should not have to be offered anything just give me what I am paying for.  So be very carefull when you are offered a diversion it only goes one way, their way. I was able to convince them after upgrading to the supervisor and 90 minutes later to reimburse the money to my prepaid account.  I notice they did not reimburse my bonus minutes.

As this has been an ongoing fault with our line for the past 12 months (not our fault their fault) we have been able to have this problem rectified almost immediately, it would appear that it is pot luck on who you get on the phone to help you with this problem.

Very stressfull.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now