Highlighted
ozbigben
Level 3: Gumshoe

Configuring call control (NOT activating)

Answered

There once was a time you could log in to your Telstra account and set up your call control options quite easily. Now, you can find web pages, forum posts and PDF user guides telling you that you have to (and how to) activate the feature before you can use.  So you activate it, confirm that it's active and then what? Wait for an option to appear in My Account (after a period of X hours)? Call Telstra?  Nothing in the Home Fatures User Guide and searches here only come up with activating for solutions.

(shouldn't have posted in this section... must have added it after a search, should've been in Home > Home Phone & Services. Can someone move it please?)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ozbigben
Accepted Solution

Re: Configuring call control (NOT activating)

so the instructions would be:

1. Subscribe to Call control
  2. Activate it as per instructions on Telstra site
  3. Check that it is activated
  4. Contact Telstra to get the blocking level set (or changed) (?)

After that you can activate/deactivate as required.

If you only want it active all the time then save your money and get call barring set up for free.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Ben_F
Community Alumni (Retired)

Once call control is active on your account, start here for instructions.

----------------------------

New Users - Click Here!

ozbigben

• Turn Call Control on or off : Turned ON
  • Check if Call Control is on or off: Checked, it's ON
  • Change your PIN: Not relevant
  • Maximum PIN attempts: Not relevant
  • Troubleshooting problems with Call Control: > Call Control is overridden by the following products, so check if you're using any of the following:  NO

Been there, done that... So which of these tells me how to select which types of calls to block????

Ben_F

You need to confirm with Telstra what version of Network Barring they have set for you.

Call Control gives you two options of the level of barring - Your "Normal" level and your "Barred" level.

To change either, you need to ring Telstra or chat on LiveChat.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

ozbigben

So you can purchase A product with a couple of clicks of a mouse but you actually get one of two products setup with no instructions or options in your online account to configure it? Not very impressive.  Trying live chat

ozbigben

1. Configured for me while on Live Chat

2. Provided me with a link to another doc

http://telstra.com.au/customer-terms/download/document/fixed-features.pdf

Still a little confusing.

Under call barring

"9.2 We programme these barring options into the exchange. You cannot add, change or
remove them yourself. You need to ask us to add, change or remove your preferred
barring option. (You can get barring options that you can turn on and off yourself
by subscribing to the Call Control HomeLine or BusinessLine Feature.)"

Under Call control:

"2.20 Call control lets you turn on or off preset call barring options."

So in theory I can set it myself BUT I still haven't seen an option anywhere in my online account to do it, nor any documentation describing how to do it.  Am I missing the bleeding obvious?  What do other people who have subscribed for Call Control do?  Is Call control a bit misleading if you can't set it yourself?

Call barring:

"9.3 For Telstra direct retail customers there is no charge for these barring options."

Call control:

"2.21 We charge you the following for call control" ...  Per month  $3.30 (inc. GST)

A monthly fee for the privilege of setting call barring options with no mechanism for actually doing it???

Ben_F

"Call Control" is a product which allows you to have 2 levels of barring on your Home Phone. Your Home Phone has a barring level (we will call this the Network Access level) and Call Control adds a level called the "Network Barring" level.

Your "Network Access" Level is the level your phone sits at normally. This can be all calls, all calls but Premium services etc.

When you activate Call Control, its interesting that it doesn't prompt you for a level (I just tried this with bogus details, HL500051020 if you want to cancel Mods).

Below are the various Network Levels:

1. NA000: 000 & TELSTRA ONLY
2. NA0: LOCAL, TK OP, STD, VAS & 0011
3. NA1800: 1800 & TELSTRA ONLY
4. NA1: LOCAL ONLY
5. NA2: LOCAL & TK OP
6. NA3: Obsolete
7. NA4: LOCAL, TK OP, STD & VAS 
8. NA5: Obsolete
9. NA6: LOCAL, STD, VAS & 0011
10. NA7: LOCAL, STD & VAS 
11. NA8: LOCAL, TK OP & STD
12. NA9: LOCAL, TK OP, STD & 0011

To tell you what each of the abbrevations mean:

1. TELSTRA ONLY = 000/106, 132200, 132000, 132203, 132674, 132999, 1100, Homelink(180090x, 180091x), * & #
  2. 1800 = 1800, 18, 1223, 1225, 12551, 12550
  3. LOCAL = local, 01983, 1194/1196, 125111, 188, 016, 189, 0192, 0016, 13, 1300, 1345
  4. TK OP = 1234, 1251, 12454, 12455
  5. STD = std, Mobile, 0500, 12456
  6. 0011 = 0011, 0012, 0014, 0015, 0018, 0019
  7. VAS = 019

Hope this helps....

B.

New Users - Click Here!

Ben_F

I have nominated this post to be added to our Community Knowledgebase. Thanks for raising this important question.

New Users - Click Here!

ozbigben

Almost... it explains the levels but not how to set them.  It's not really a problem for me at the moment since the options have been set for me, but for completeness it would be interesting to know since someone else may be reading this for the same reason at a later time.

Prior to Call control becoming an additional subscription fee you could set this up online by simply ticking the option you wanted in your account.  From my experience to date I'd suggest the answer is don't bother with Call control and either call or use live chat to get call barring set up with the options you want.

Ben_F

The levels are set by Telstra. You can choose two levels and switch between them.

B.

New Users - Click Here!

ozbigben
Accepted Solution

If you only want it active all the time then save your money and get call barring set up for free.

Ben_F

@ozbigben wrote:

Yup.

Call Control is designed for people who only want to lock down the phone at certian times (such as when leaving Teenagers alone in the house).

B.

New Users - Click Here!

ozbigben

@Ben F: Thanks for taking the time to look at this. Smiley Happy

ozbigben

Just a quick follow up to this.

When you activate call control for the first time you have to reset your PIN.  Having checked that it was active using my NEW PIN I then requested the type of blocking to be set via Live Chat which was done on the spot (... it actually took a while but I wasn't in a hurry, may be quicker to call). It worked as expected until I went to deactivate it to make a call, getting a message that my PIN was incorrect. Tried a few time to verify it wasn't my mistake and eventually tried the defaul PIN which worked... grrr

In light of this I'd suggest a different order.

2. Contact Telstra to get the blocking level set (or changed)
    It will be activated as well
  3. Update your PIN
  4. Check that it is activated.

For 3 and 4: https://help.telstra.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/16977/c/1986/

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now