Highlighted
RMB
Level 1: Cadet

Connecting a cordless DECT phone to modem without a cable

Answered
I've recently connected to NBN and when the Telstra Technician came to install the Technicolor Modem he said If I purchase any DECT cordless phone it can connect wirelessly to the modem, which is perfect for me because I don't won't my phone near the modem as it's in a very inconvenient spot. So yesterday I purchased a Uniden XDECT 8155+2 phone which says NBN compatible on the box however I could not work out how to connect it nor could I see anything in the instruction manual. This morning I rang Uniden support and they advised me that no Uniden phone will connect wirelessly to the modem. I have rung Telstra, NBN and other stores that sell cordless phones to find out what phones will connect and i am getting a lot of mixed answers.....does anyone have an accurate answer......does such a phone exist??
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: Connecting a cordless DECT phone to modem without a cable

Hi Guys

Here is a link to the troubleshooting guide for the modem : http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet/download/document/nbn089-trouble-shooting-guide-148x210_l... and a short but yet informative thread about DECT handsets : 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
22 REPLIES
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi RMB,

I'm sorry that the community hasn't come up with a response for you yet!

I'll refer this to one of our tech people so they can take a look for you tomorrow.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

peterricho

Same problem here. NBN out for 2 days, I now need to re-connect Uniden XDect but the bloke on the phone didn't know how. Please send instructions.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Hi Guys

Here is a link to the troubleshooting guide for the modem : http://www.telstra.com.au/bigpond-internet/download/document/nbn089-trouble-shooting-guide-148x210_l... and a short but yet informative thread about DECT handsets : 

dutch29

You can not connect wireless to a modem or router but a voice box  "sisco" to router (CAD5 wired) to the phone main station (phone cable wired) could do the job.

the wireless system frequence only connects to the hand set(s)

worthwile to try but do some home work first as what i will do because I have a voice box but not activate yet which will be used to make all calls via VOIP

I think this is what they mean by NBN compatible

good luck

Drac

It seems that Telstra NBN installers are telling customers that if they spend money on a new Dect phone, it will connect wirelessly usinf the DECT enable button on the side of the modem. The only problem is, no one is able to provide with the information as to how to make the phone's base station talk to the DECT signal from Telstra's modem.

If Telstra istallers are going to provide this information, then they should ensure that Telstra at least have a clue as to how to support customers who have spent money to do so, but find that when they set up the phone wirelessly, the modem still does not connect to it.

Pessimists would see this as a ploy for Telstra to pretend that DECT phones are a convenient way of placing your phone's base station where it has always been, not hard-wiring it to a modem probably placed in a study. This would appease those who would think the NBN has simply 'stolen' our access to phone outlets throughout one's house.

Telstra needs to provide a solution to a supposed myth their installers are perpetuating. Either state that DECT phones cannot provide a wireless solution to connecting to the Telstra modem and telephone line, or explain to us how this is achieved given your own emplees' advice and additional cost to customers. 

Support Team
Support Team

Hello Drac

Have you confirmed this information with our NBN Support Team and asked them if it can be done and if so can they help you do it.

Their number is 1800 834 273

phase

I have two swiss epure and a panasonic that came with it's own Voip base.

Both have isuses but conected.

I used the web config to start the pairing then set the handset to search for a base.

tele-bleeder
Level 2: Rookie

Using a SagemCom 5355 modem on cable connection - I assume something similar for other modems..

In a browser connect to the modem (10.0.0.138) and login -default user 'admin' password 'admin'.

In top right on toolbar click 'Advanced Mode'

Click on the 'DECT' button in the bottom right of the screen (it should have a green border if it is available)

The DECT Base Settings screen will appear.

There is an option to perform 'pairing'. Don't click this just yet.

Your DECT handset will have a menu setting for 'registering' or 'pairing' depending upon the brand.

If in doubt get your user manual and follow the instructions - check online if you can't find this easily.

You may need to 'unregister' or 'unpair' if you have been using the phone/s with other bases.

When ready, click the 'pairing' button on the browser screen and set your handset into 'pairing' mode.

When the handset finds the modem base station it will ask for the pin - enter '0000' and you will be off.

Worked fine for me with my 'Oricom Slim 8800' handsets which are several years old (not made by Oricom anymore)

so should work with newer ones.

Good luck

biggles97

Thank you!  The above instructions helped -- I could pair a Sagemcom FAST5355-A on NBN with a Telstra 12250 DECT handset.  The answering machine feature on the base station no longer works, but we don't use it anyway.

Becstar1

Thank you this worked.

Aprilia

thanks heaps, fixed mine.

MrSHovel
Level 3: Gumshoe

We have a Technicolor TG797n G3 modem at work and just bought the Telstra Call Guardian 301 cordless telephone (2 phone pack) and I can confirm that these pair DIRECTLY using DECT to the Technicolor box.

Will be testing them soon on the SAGEMCOM Fast 5355 modem soon to see if it works on them as well. (I suspect it will).

MrSHovel

Confirmed - the current Telstra Call Guardian 301 cordless phones do connect directly via DECT (no cables) to the SAGEMCOM Fast 5355 as well as the Technicolor TG797n G3 units.

Freddo_Frog

I bought a Telstra T-Voice 503 cordless handset - no base station [Telstra price $48] which paired instantly with the Sagemcom F@st 5355 modem via DECT.  It works perfectly with all functionality.  An excellent solution to providing extra phones once NBN is installed. 

brob

Telstra tech support confirms the new T-Voice 503 handset will communicate wirelessly with the Technicolour TG799vac modem, allowing calls to be made without a cable between the phone and modem. It's also NBN compatible.

With the earlier 502 handset, it was possible to share or transfer smartphone phonebook contact details (name and number) with a Gateway modem, using the Telstra T-Voice App. These contacts were stored in the Gateway modem, and could then be called up from the 502 handset. However this App is no longer supported, and may eventually be withdrawn.

Does anyone know whether smartphone contacts can be transferred from a smartphone to the TG799vac for use with a 503 handset, and if so - how?

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi brob, 

The T-voice 503 handset is only compatible with the Telstra Gateway (Sagemcom F@ST 5355). So while it will work, as a phone, the extra feature won't work reliably if paired with the TG799. Therefore you won't be able to transfer smartphone contacts to this handset via the app.

brob

Hi Kenobi,

Thanks for your reply. Your statement that the T-Voice 503 handset is incompatible with the Gateway TG799vac is at variance with what I was told by another Telstra technical person when I rang with a few questions about my impending NBN connection.

So who is right? Has the T-Voice 503 been recently updated to work with the TG799vac, perhaps? I realise the old app which worked with the 502 is being, or has been withdrawn, and that its use is not a route towards transferring smartphone contacts to either the 503 handset or the TG799vac modem-router.

However, such a capability is such a basic requirement, that Telstra should be offering it by default. Especially for customers who have hundreds of contact entries. Maybe they want us only to use our smartphones for calling our contacts?

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi brob, 

I have provided you with the information that I have at hand about the T-Voice 503 and wouldn't have made the comment if I thought it to be an incorrect statement.

kj39

have a uniden xdect sse25 that was wired thats disconnected with the connection of Telstra Gateway BB893B that has a phone plugged in but would hope to have base +one xtra handset thru the house,can it be done on WiFi

Memyselfi
Level 4: Private Eye

No need to buy extra hand sets. Most smartphones can be added as a phone with the NBN Modem. 

LeeR79

@MrSHovelwrote:

We have a Technicolor TG797n G3 modem at work and just bought the Telstra Call Guardian 301 cordless telephone (2 phone pack) and I can confirm that these pair DIRECTLY using DECT to the Technicolor box.

Will be testing them soon on the SAGEMCOM Fast 5355 modem soon to see if it works on them as well. (I suspect it will).

Do the answering machine service work correctly when connected by wireless only method? 

MrSHovel

No, the base station (that contains the answering machine part) becomes basically just a phone charger when directly phone units to the Modem-Gateway.

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more