TraceC1
Level 2: Rookie

Cordless phone base station and NBN

Answered

The NBN is being connected tomorrow.

From my understanding, the base station with the answering machine is connected through the modem.  

Is there any way around this?  The current base station is in the kitchen/dining area where my very elderly parents spend most of their time, so it’s easy to physically get to the Phone.  The modem is in another room away from this area with the computer.  There is no way they will physically be able to get to the phone and see and hear who is calling before the phone stops ringing.  Seeing and hearing who is ringing is very important to them, as we get a lot of scam and overseas calls, even on the do not call register. 

I know now I can put a cordless handset where the current base station is, but that won’t fix the problem. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TraceC1
Accepted Solution

Re: Cordless phone base station and NBN

Thanks so much for your help.

Turns out that I’ve been sent the wrong kit, my current modem is not compatible with the NBN, so we are starting from scratch again.   The very helpful lady on the phone had not heard about the voice extender, but made some calls and found out about it.  I have to by one, but that’s ok. 

Thanks again, I much appreciate your help. 

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being

The only way around this is to get a Telstra DECT phone extender that will pair with the gateway. Your current phone can plug into the extender.
Telstra is supplying these with some of there NBN connection kits instead of the T-Voice 503 handset.
TraceC1

Thank you.  The only thing I received in my ‘kit’ was a grey Phone cable. 

I don't know how you get them.  You could ring support and request one. They retail for $49 so you should be able to get one from a Telstra store or ringing Telstra sales.

This post explains how they work.

https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/News-Feed/How-to-add-a-voice-extender-to-your-nbn-connection-...

TraceC1
Accepted Solution

Thanks so much for your help.

Turns out that I’ve been sent the wrong kit, my current modem is not compatible with the NBN, so we are starting from scratch again.   The very helpful lady on the phone had not heard about the voice extender, but made some calls and found out about it.  I have to by one, but that’s ok. 

Thanks again, I much appreciate your help. 

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now