CrowdSupport®
Gaz21
Level 2: Rookie

Duet multiple number suddenly stopped working

Hi,

I have had Duet multiple number on my home phone for many years & suddenly it has stopped working (I don't have NBN so it is not related to that).

I called Telstra & she didn't really seem to understand what I was talking about but said it was no longer available.

Is this true?

I have still been billed for it recently n advance so I thought Telstra would have provided some notice about discontinuation of this feature.

My duet number just says it has been disconnected if I try to call it from my mobile.

Appreciate any thoughts.

Gary.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Duet multiple number suddenly stopped working

Duet was removed as a service on the 30th September 2019 (due to it being incompatible with NBN services - Telstra are progressively removing features that aren't compatible with NBN services and this was one of the last), you should have been notified about this around February this year from memory when it was announced. Would have been easy to miss.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Gaz21
Level 2: Rookie

Interesting.

I checked back & no mention of cancellation on any of my past bills.

I was still included on my last bill of 27th October too.

Level 9: Captain jhwiz
Level 9: Captain

It was sent out as an email/SMS depending on your preferences titled "Some fixed line features are ending" namely Fax duet, Call Control, Call Forwarding etc. all features not worth maintaining as not supported on nbn.

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.

P.S they will give you a pro-rated credit for the unused portion of the fax duet add on depending on the date it was disconnected so look out for that on your next bill. Believe the monthly cost was $6.00

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
BePete
Level 1: Cadet

I have also have discovered my Duet has been removed and I received no notification. Very poor form Telstra. Where has customer service gone?

Highlighted

@BePete As previously "It was sent out as an email/SMS depending on your preferences titled "Some fixed line features are ending" ". However, you may have missed the notification, double check Telstra have your up to date details what what contact method you prefer.

Bondi2

Hi Gary - yes same thing just happened to us - having had a duet line for the past nine years it was suddenly - and without any notice from Telstra - disconnected. I have just gotten off the phone from Telstra - the duet is apparently not supported by NBN (needs copper wire) and Telstra apparently wasn't aware of that! If you want a second phone line into your house with NBN through Telstra, the fee is almost $300. The Telstra complains guy just told me they have had lots of complaints about this - he said their system isn't set up to notify users that the duet was being cancelled!

kimds

I just found out that the service had been cancelled - NO notification from Telstra - they don't know what customer service means! Hopeless call centre in some foreign land had no idea either

The fee for a subsequent line regardless of provider is $297, this is a completely nbnco fee. They've basically decided that everyone gets a 'standard installation' for free as part of the transition, additional lines with additional infrastructure have additional fees.

You also need to be aware that in most cases it is not possible to get a second NBN line installed. It will depend on the infrastructure in your area. 

NBN Co policy is currently to provide only a single connection per property.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
CL2019

I just discovered that the Multiple Number on my home phone was discontinued with no notice, in Oct-Nov. it took many hours and phone calls today - Christmas Eve - to find someone who could explain what had happened. Although most of the staff I spoke to tried to be helpful, they passed me from person to person, either because they didn't understand what I was asking, or because, having understood, they didn't know the answer. In the end someone confirmed that the service has been withdrawn. No notice at all. Very poor service. And very difficult for customers like me who used the second number for a home office. Suddenly clients tell me they can't get through.

Level 23: Superhero

Telstra sent a letter many months ago giving notice that it had to withdraw several services which were not compatible with NBN.  It's surprising that you didn't receive it, as millions were sent. Maybe it was thrown away without reading it.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
CL2019

Thanks for the reply. Nope. I don't throw letters away. 

CL2019

All in all, it has been a disappointing experience. We have been Telstra customers for about 25 years. Latterly we stayed with Telstra because I valued the convenience of the multiple number landline, which is handy for a home office. It was useful to have everything bundled. However, obviously 2020 will require different solutions.  

Thanks for your input. 

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit