Ningana
Level 1: Cadet

EMERGENCY ANALOGUE PHONE?

Is it correct that a person who is over 70 and with a medical condition, can have one analogue phone plugged into an ADSL wall phone socket to ensure they have 24 hour phone service in the event of a power failure?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: EMERGENCY ANALOGUE PHONE?

Hello
No ... for a number of reasons.
Its not true.
There hasn't been an analogue network for dome years.
Also... there's no physical way
to connect such a phone to a wall socket.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Most modern medi alert alarms have a built in battery and dual sims for calls outs in emergencies. I would recommend discussing your needs with a medical alarm provider, as well as having your medical priority listed with Telstra on your landline and have a charged mobile phone handy.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 21: Augmented

Well, if this is an ADSL connection, then I believe neither @ProfessorPhone nor @343GuiltySpark are fully correct.

If and only if this is ADSL (NOT NBN), then you can have the old fashioned phone that gets power through copper. However, this changes as soon as NBN comes and then @343GuiltySpark's advice is the best advice you can get.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

We have confusion of terminology !!
I took the OP to mean an analogue Mobile phone.
ForensicsGuru talks of a POTS phone, ie an ordinary old home phone.
Guilty spark mentions that medical alarm systems have 2 sims.
I am connected to the biggest home medical alarm provider, with 40,000 customers, and their latest system (3G) only has 1 sim (Telstra). Curiously, I did mention to their CEO it would be wise to have.
2 sims. In addition, their portable optional (mobile) separate mobile alarm, a miniature mobile, again only has 1 sim using 3G.
Best wishes
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Level 21: Augmented

@ProfessorPhone,
the biggest problem of this type of boards is that people either a) do not read the original post in full, or b) respond to subsequent posts without reading the original post.

In this particular case, you clearly did the a). The original post clearly says "can have one analogue phone plugged into an ADSL wall phone socket", so it is hard to understand why you were thinking about "analogue mobile phone"... You don't plug analogue mobile phone to wall socket, do you?

@343GuiltySparkthen probably did b) or just wanted to provide overview of what's available and what will OP probably face as soon as NBN comes.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now