CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
adzi
Level 4: Private Eye

Engaged signal on NBN

Answered

Something really weird is happening to the NBN service at my relatives house. 2 days ago. We could not get any incoming calls on the phone. It kept going to Telstra Message Bank which was never switched on but Telstra took it upon themselves to switch the service on. I switched it off by typing in #99# into the phone. Then nothing but an engaged signal on all incoming calls. I thought Hmm! Maybe the phone is cooked! So I went and purchased a new phone. Same issue! Could make outgoing calls but nothing inbound. (The phone is connected directly into the modem and there are no other phone sockets in the house, but the internet is working fine)

So I call Telstra! 2hrs of trouble shooting and they tell me to call Uniden who was the manufactorer of the new phone I just purchased. So stupidly I did. The guy from Uniden laughed at me and said try plugging another phone in and see if it works. So I did! Still same problem!

I call Telstra back. Get someone els and spend another 2 hours trouble shooting! Doing the same thing I did the first time, I was on the phone with them. Annoyed much! You bet! 

I say to the Tech on the phone. I have a spare Telstra Gateway Modem router to try incase its the modem that is cooked. He says great but you cant use it because all modems are coded and he cant initiate that modem in this service.

Hmm! Doesn't seem like there was much he could do to help.

It would seem that Telstra's overseas call centres will avoid at all costs to send a Tech out to fix a problem which clearly cant be fixed over the phone. I was on the phone pretty much the entire day to Telstra overseas Tech support and no matter what I said, they would not escalate it to a Tech visit.

Either way the problem still exists and the online Tech support left me high and dry because he couldn't fix it. He refused to send a Tech out to have a looked at. 

Not feeling the love from Telstra at the moment. Very poor phone tech support which sounds like they have no idea what they are doing and reading off a script! Wont lodge a Tech support request! 

Next step! Communication ombudsman. It'll probably take a month to sort out but clearly it takes government intervention to get any kind of Tech support from Telstra.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 22: Superhuman
Accepted Solution

Re: Engaged signal on NBN

If you have one of the white modems, will be a tiny hole on the front near the power button, using a paper clip hold it down for 10 seconds, then allow 5 minutes for the modem to reboot.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27

Have you factory reset the modem?
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

adzi

I did not do a factory reset. This was not an option given to me by Tech Support.
Can you explain the process to me and i will give it a try.
Accepted Solution

If you have one of the white modems, will be a tiny hole on the front near the power button, using a paper clip hold it down for 10 seconds, then allow 5 minutes for the modem to reboot.

adzi

No good! Did as you suggested by holding in the reset button for 3 seconds. All the lights went out. Took quite some time to come back on but phone is still engaged on incoming calls.
Thanks for the advice anyhow.

You'll need to hold it in for 10 seconds, I'd also try disconnecting all the land line phones then only connect one to the green port on the back of the modem when it has re-booted.

adzi

I only have 1 phone socket in the house which has the modem connected to it. So I only have 1 phone and it’s plugged into the green phone socket on the modem. I’ll try again holding the reset button in for 10 seconds this time without the phone plugged in at all.
adzi

Same result unfortunately. Engaged signal on incoming calls. Can call out perfectly fine. It’s weird and frustrating. At this point I don’t believe it’s the modem. I have tried everything inside the house accept changing the modem completely.

Some of my neighbors have this issue
A simple reboot fixes the problem
Hope it does for you.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

I think your landline number may be different or have changed, if you call your mobile you should be able to see the calling number, try calling that number back and see if it works.

Level 24: Supreme Being

You mentioned you have a spare Telstra Gateway Modem. If it is NBN compatible I suggest you try the spare modem. The server should automatically configure the gateway. If the connection is working correctly the phone light should change from green to blue on an incoming call even with no phone plugged in. If phone light doesn't turn blue then probably a network problem.

If incoming calls don't work with spare gateway then the problem is probably due to the way your phone service has been configured when message bank was added.

adzi

Rebooted many times and same issue. Clearly not as simple as a reboot.
adzi

Yeh! That’s what I thought to and I did try it yesterday as a last resort after Tech support gave up but the replacement modem wouldn’t even connect to the NBN. The Tech support did say it wouldn’t work but I thought I would try anyway and he was right. It wouldn’t even connect.
adzi

Yep! Did that and it’s the write number. Confirmed from my mobile.

What model is the spare gateway?

Does phone light turn blue on an incoming call on the original gateway. If it doesn't then problem due to the way your phone service has been configured when message bank was added.

As you've already tried support and haven't had any luck, I'd recommend raising a complaint to get this looked into, you can raise a complaint here

adzi

Its got model number: F@st 5355 written on the bottom of it and the blue light does light up on the phone light when I make a call out.

It shoul also turn blue during incoming call when the call gets connected to modem. The modem then sends ring current to the connected phone.

Strange that your spare gateway din't work. I bought one from cash converts and the internet and phone both worked.

If you factory reset the second gateway and connect it, it should phone home to get the voice service details.

adzi

Thanks for the link.
Ill give it a go. I wont call the number 132200 because thats the one I called yesterday and got Tech support which was of no help. I think Ill have to try the online form and see if I get any response.
Just doesn't seem to be any local support from Telstra anymore. Feel Totally let down.
But I do appreciate to comments coming through to try and help. Greatly appreciated.

Did support give you any reference numbers such as INT 1- or INC numbers?

adzi

Yeh thats what i thought to but on incoming calls the blue light doesn't show up and all you hear on the other end of the line is an engaged signal. It works fine for outgoing calls, just nothing coming in.

Yeh I dont know why the second modem wouldn't connect but the Tech did say that it wouldn't work. Something to do with the internal serial number and how its not assigned to the account. I didn't understand it but I did try it and it wouldn't connect.
adzi

Yes they did. I made sure of that.

Make sure to include them in the complaint

adzi

Yes I will. Thanks for reminding me. The first 3 letters are INC. Ill make sure to put that in the complaint.
adzi

UPDATE!
So I attempted your suggestion once again. I thought, what if I reset twice while in a reset? This time I waited until all the lights went out and then just as the modem was rebooting, I pushed the reset button again. Kind of like a reset on a reset. I let them modem completely boot back up again and plugged the phone back into the modem. Called the house phone and what do you know!! The house phone rang. PROBLEM SOLVED.

I dont know what the difference was between holding in the reset button once and letting it reboot and doing it twice before allowing it to reboot. But it fixed the problem.

Thanks heaps for the advice. You should get a job working for Telstra support! LOL! I know I read your underline.
Anyhow Thanks again!

Support Team
Support Team

I'm glad to hear that sorted things our, thanks for letting us know @adzi,

I hope you have a good weekend.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

adzi

I wonder if Telstra support know about the reset button at the front of the modem? It was never mentioned to me during the whole 2hrs of being on the phone with them. Probably could have sorted this out in like 10minutes had this been an option provided.
How do we get this message to support so it may help others in a similar situation to resolve this much faster?
But it was great to have the crowd support. I was quite suprised at how much response I got to my problem.
Much appreciation to everyone who tried to help.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now