CrowdSupport®
MICKDUNNDEE
Level 4: Private Eye

FTTC AND HOME SET UP

his is my currant set up

I have ADSL no NBN but getting FTTC mid next year.

Box outside my home has lead coming in from Telstra pit.

In box I have 2 pairs of cat 6 cable going up the wall in thru the wall to the center of the house to two phone outlets.

One is only for phone and fax and the other is for internet only.

Now lets start with the phone it is connected to a Hills home hub punch down telephone module where I have six lines for phones and two lines for fax.

I also have a home alarm connected to it but its not back to base it just calls my mobile number when it goes off.

Now for the internet 

I have a D LINK AC 3200 DSL 4320L modem and router in one.

Telephone line connected to DSL socket.

Than from port 1 from back of Dlink I have cat 6 patch lead going too a TP LINK  TL-SG1016D 16 PORT GB switch plugged in port 1 as well.

All other ports are being used except 14/15 and 16.

Now house is wired with cat6 data cable evan patch leads all cat 6 cabling.

Now as I am getting FTTC I want to keep and use my DLink unit as a modem and router and my TP switch.

I also need a telephone as I have relatives overseas OLD SCHOOL

Now I have read that I cant use my unit in a modem only as a router.

Does that mean I can not use my TP switch or am I mistaken.

As nbn gives me a modem that sends power back to DPU how is that connected to my DLink unit.

NOTE DLink does not have a WAN port but read some were to use port 4 on the back of unit.

So I connect NBN modem to port 4 on my Dlink so I will be using modem from NBN and router from my DLink unit.

Now as my DLink unit does not have VOIP on the back how do I connect my  Hills home hub punch down telephone module to it.

I am not sure of this set up and need help and possibly pictures.

I read that I need to use Telstras Smart Modem and just use it for phone only.

If this is true than how do I connect it to NBN modem and or my DLink or can I connect to TP switch.

I also need to keep my home number.

All replies thank you in advance and more easy to understand replies and pictures are an advantage.

NOTE Can I send pictures with this questions

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: FTTC AND HOME SET UP

You can use your D LINK AC 3200 DSL 4320L modem as the main router connected to the modems EWAN port (LAN port 4) connected to the NBN NCD.

Internet Wall Socket--------NCD--------LAN Port 4  of D LINK AC 3200 DSL 4320L modem

Connect Switch to D LINK AC 3200 DSL 4320L modem's LAN port.

D LINK AC 3200 DSL 4320L modem LAN port -------------- TP LINK TL-SG1016D

WAN port of Telstra Modem can be connected to either LAN port of D LINK AC 3200 DSL 4320L modem or to spare port on switch

D LINK AC 3200 DSL 4320L modem LAN port -------------- WAN Port Telstra Modem

or

TP LINK TL-SG1016D----------- WAN Port Telstra Modem

Disconnect Hills home hub punch down telephone module from Telephone lead in cable and connect to green phone port on modem. The phone socket has maximum loading of 3 REN so will only support a maximum of three devices connected to Hills home hub punch down telephone module. Fax machine might not work.

Settings in TP link

WAN access type as Residential gateway page 68 of manual.

Internet connection type as Dynamic (DHCP) page 69 of manual.

IPv6 Auto detection

Turn SIP ALG off page 105 of manual.

Telstra Modem Settings

Change its LAN address range and IP address so it does not match that of the TP links LAN address range (192.168.0.xx). Example change to 192.168.1,xx.

Note for phone to work correctly initially Telstra modem WAN port will have to be connected directly to NBN NCD for SIP details to download from server to modem.

Support Team
Support Team

Hey MICKDUNNDEE, 

Thank you for your information above. To investigate this further give our team a call on 133 933 and we will go through it all with you and assist.

Please let me know how you go.

- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

MICKDUNNDEE

I need time to get my head around it

Support Team
Support Team

No worries, that line is open 24x7 when you decide to call.

- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

You can insert pictures into your post by saving the images as jpeg or png files and then inserting the files into the post using the photos icon next to video icon.

MICKDUNNDEE

Thanks for replying cf4

Why do I need Telstra modem as I have NCD as modem.

Or do you mean I need it for the phone(s) to work. If not I'll have two modems which I don't want and is stupid.

What happens if I want VOIP home phone with currant number and purchase a ATA unit and have it connected to the DLink or spare switch port.

I read that the RSP needs to give me the SIP code(s) and with out that phone wont work.

My contract ends in 3 days and I dont know if I should get the Telstra modem but have it installed when I get NBN FTTC in mid next year.

I am unclear of what is meant when you said Settings for TP link

If I need Telstra modem to work so i can use phone then whats the point of having the NCD as a modem.

I want to keep my D Link and TP switch

1. Telstra modem is used as only as ATA. Can only use a Telstra modem for a Telstra VOIP service over the NBN as Telstra and some other ISPs do not provide the SIP details.
  2. The NBN connection box (NCD) is a VDSL modem and also provides power for DPU in the street,.Both the Telstra Modem and the Dlink cannot supply power to the DPU so a NBN NCD is required..
  3. TP link settings was a typo I meant DLink settings.These are the settings required to configured DLink as a router instead of a modem, the correct settings required for Telstra NBN service and the settings for the Telstra modem to function correctly as an ATA.
  4. You can keep your Dlink and Switch but you will also need the NBN NCD and if you want a voice service a Telstra modem.

Level 22: Superhuman

You really need a business grade service from NBN / TELSTRA.  You'll really struggle to keep this under 3 REM.

Your fax machine will only possibly work on a very, very, slow baud rate. I think you'll need to get a real expert to guide you, as I very much doubt you'll get a Gen 2 Smart modem to drive all your equipment.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now