CrowdSupport®
PMG67
Level 4: Private Eye

False missed calls every 36 minutes

Answered
Every 36 minutes I get a missed call on my cordless phone. There is no number. I have tracked it back to a multi frequency tone burst coming out both the phone ports on the Telstra Smart Modem at 36 minute intervals . I have recorded the tone but have not been able to decode it. It is there with the home phone unplugged. I have a FTTN service. It seems to be a common problem with the NBN as it is reported on outer posts , but without a solution. Thanks Malcolm.
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: False missed calls every 36 minutes

What modem model are you using and what firmware version is it running?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Kerborous
Accepted Solution

The mystery to the root cause of this issue relates to voice mail.

Can you confirm that the phone service from Telstra supports a voice mail capability?

You can confirm this by listening to the dial tone on your phone which will be a stutter dial tone only if you have voice mails present and then clearing all VM messages and listening to the dial tone again which will no longer be a stutter dial tone.

The multi frequency burst  you measured is the FSK signalling used to alert your phone to the fact that the Telstra NW has unlistened message or clear of messages. It is proceeded by a DC line reversal pulse. All this signalling is part of a standard used to alert phones to voice mail events and is periodically sent by the network.

The 36 missed calls is most likely  due to the fact that your home phone doesn't correctly ignore the line reversal event  which is a compliance requirement in Australian Standards S002. You can check this by observation by clearing all voice mail messages and missed call events in the home phone and then leaving a voice mail message and wait 2 mins  

The missed call counter on you phone will advance to 2 (one for the unanswered VM you left + 1 for the line reversal + FSK signalling from the NW).  You should challenge the supplier of the phone to ensure it complies with the Australian Standards S002 Clause 5.5 Signalling requirements.

https://www.commsalliance.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0006/1122/S002_2010.pdf 

PMG67
Accepted Solution

• Kerborous , thanks for getting back.  
  • Back to the beginning——————-
  • The False Missed Calls only occurred in the last few months , something has changed. 
  • I am not the only customer that has this problem appear in the last few months.
  • In this thread @Mischa68 shifted from another provider and got the fault on connection.
  • There should not be a NW alert !
  •  I have no messages.
  • I have an email from Vtech technical department, stating that the cordless complies .
  • A normal unanswered call registers as a missed call.
  •  I have no  Messages ,then why would the system send a missed call  reversal +FSK?
  • Is the FSK signal for No Messages different to Message left.and why would it exist?
  • Thanks Malcolm T. 
Kerborous
Accepted Solution

Well I have done some additional study in this perplexing problem...such is the curse of being an engineer.

What we know at the moment is that the Gen 2 GW when it sends the periodic (every 36 mins) message waiting status to the VTech phone which stimulates a missed call event.

1). My 1st thought that it was related to the line reversal signal being detected by the phone as a ring event. BUT no this is not the case since the diode bridge test would have suppressed the signal however the problem isnt fixed.

2). This leaves the FSK signal generated by the modem to stimulating a missed call.

The FSK signal use Visual Message Waiting Indication messages will be delivered using the Multiple Message Format

Simply put this can be ON/OFF - to tell the phone that there is a message in Telstra's message bank plus additional parameter like time/date - telling the phone when the message event occurred.

If the time/date data is suppressed then the  VTech phone doesnt increment the call counter. This can be seen on a CRO connected to the PSTN NW and noting the length the FSK signal. So the VTech phone is incorrectly using the time/date data to record a missed call event.

Work a rounds - disabling Telstra's VMWI service OR finding ta phone that complies with Multiple Message Format having a date / time signature.

Long Term fix Vtech - alters their design so that is time/date portion of the VMWI is supplied they dont count this a missed call.  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
69 REPLIES 69
Accepted Solution

What modem model are you using and what firmware version is it running?
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

PMG67

Telstra Smart modem 17.2.0406 .
I monitored the phone line between the green port and the cordless base and noticed a burst of tones which I recorded , the burst repeats at 36 minute intervals. My conclusion from this is that Telstra "pings" the Smart Modem to see if it is still working. This "ping" results in a Missed Call on my VTech cordless phone phone.

There is no setting that can be changed to ignore the "ping" - the phone simply responds to the signal it is being sent. If Telstra is unable to resolve the issue with their Smart Modem set-up , all I can do is continually delete the Call Log. Obviously this is not ideal considering I went to the trouble to buy an NBN compatible cordless phone and cannot use the missed call function as intended.

There has been a string of these that have occurred recently. We've sent this thread and the other examples to engineering to investigate

PMG67

If I report this problem as a fault is there any chance that it will get fixed.

Its already been raised to engineering. At best, NBN Assurance may just send you a replacement modem

Kerborous
Accepted Solution

The mystery to the root cause of this issue relates to voice mail.

Can you confirm that the phone service from Telstra supports a voice mail capability?

You can confirm this by listening to the dial tone on your phone which will be a stutter dial tone only if you have voice mails present and then clearing all VM messages and listening to the dial tone again which will no longer be a stutter dial tone.

The multi frequency burst  you measured is the FSK signalling used to alert your phone to the fact that the Telstra NW has unlistened message or clear of messages. It is proceeded by a DC line reversal pulse. All this signalling is part of a standard used to alert phones to voice mail events and is periodically sent by the network.

The 36 missed calls is most likely  due to the fact that your home phone doesn't correctly ignore the line reversal event  which is a compliance requirement in Australian Standards S002. You can check this by observation by clearing all voice mail messages and missed call events in the home phone and then leaving a voice mail message and wait 2 mins  

The missed call counter on you phone will advance to 2 (one for the unanswered VM you left + 1 for the line reversal + FSK signalling from the NW).  You should challenge the supplier of the phone to ensure it complies with the Australian Standards S002 Clause 5.5 Signalling requirements.

PMG67

I have a recording of the ping / tone, if you need it. I have run it past a number of redundant technical people and a consensus is that it maybe a dialup modem ACK / ANS signal. 

Highlighted
PMG67

I don’t have Stutter Dialtone. If I dial 101 # I am asked to setup MessageBank ,which I have not done. The service can not be remove by customer easycall codes .I have asked operators many times previously to have the SCL for message bank removed , but it’s just appears too hard. I will monitor the line potential prior to the FSK burst and check for a line reversal and get back to you. I have left a message with  VTECH asking about AS/CA S002:2010 and whether their NBN compatible cs18150-2 was compliant , the cordless system was purchased 9 months ago. . The missed calls increment every 36 minutes , this problem started about 3 months ago. It worked correctly before that. Thanks Kerborous. 

PMG67

I can confirm there is a 48volt line reversal before the FSK signal that caused the False Missed Call. 

PMG67

Kerborous, the story continues. Even though I didn’t have Message Bank activated, I did activate it and went through the procedure .Turn on the Message Bank, initiate an incoming call, leave a message , dial tone changed to Stutter dial tone. The Missed call counter advanced to 2 missed calls. I dialed 101 and listened to the message that I had  left . I deleted the left message and left Message Bank on the 36 minute false calls sill occurred .  I deleted the call log on the Cordless and still the 36 minute false missed calls occurred. I turned off Message Bank and reset the call log and the False Missed Calls still come. This problem did not always exist ,compliance or not ,the common link here is an Upgade or Changes that Telstra has done a couple of weeks ago to the VOIP system. 

PMG67

Yastiandrie, Are you suggesting that a different model modem is required to eliminate this problem. So why did it work and now does not. Surley it is a network signalling fault. 

I don't think @Yastiandrie is suggesting a different modem will fix the fault. At best Telephone support can do is to send you a new modem in a attempt to fix the problem. They will not be able to investigate and fix the problem.The problem has already been reported and is being investigated.

I have the same modem as you and don't have this problem with missed calls being recorded every 36 minutes...

PMG67

I enquired with Vtech Australia  and they confirmed that their cordless model cs18150-2  is compliant with   AS  S002 clause 5.5 . And the fault continues .

PMG67

Sending out new Modems seems a knee jerk action. I have had mine change 4 times since I switched to NBN . None where faulty. There must me millions of modems in the post . One would hope they don’t cost much. 

Level 22: Superhuman

I have a first hand solution that worked for me.
Actually set up your voicemail and you will most likely find voicemail messages. Delete them and then officially cancel your voicemail service. Your problem should be resolved
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Mischa68
Level 2: Rookie

Switched to Telstra from Optus myself on the 7 June 2019. Immediately found a number of silent missed calls registering on my VTech cordless phone screen. Would appear this is a problem that Telstra has known about for sometime re their Smart Modem Gen 2. Why an email advising of this from Telstra is not issued to new owners of this problem is a complete mystery to me. Bad PR. Total nuisance and I do hope Telstra fixes the issue with the modem or replaces the SM Gen 2 ASAP.

PMG67

ProfessorPhone.  I at one stage thought that might work so I went through the setting up of MessageBank ,and leaving a message as suggested by Kerborous. It did not solve the problem of False Missed Calls every 36 minutes.  I am wondering if completely disconnecting the service in data and the reconnecting / reprogramming may fix the problem. Who knows. 

Kerborous

Sorry I have been out of action for a while but I do note that you did make a key measurement "I can confirm there is a 48 volt line reversal before the FSK signal that caused the False Missed Call."

What this means is that the DECT phone is interpreting the line reversal as a missed call or as "ring" which is the root of the problem and not the GEN2 modem.

The 36 minute interval will be the timing of the NW alert which essentially indicating that you have a new message or no messages.

There are a number of ways an alert signal can be sent which precedes the FSK  signal to the phone

1. A short ring burst.

2. A line reversal.

3. No alert signal.

For point 1,2 and 3 the phones should not see the alert as a missed call as per the standard S002 that I referenced.

So at this time I would state that the DECT phone has the problem and that you should ask V-Tech to confirm that that don't incorrectly interpret line reversals as missed calls.

PMG67
Accepted Solution

• Kerborous , thanks for getting back.  
  • Back to the beginning——————-
  • The False Missed Calls only occurred in the last few months , something has changed. 
  • I am not the only customer that has this problem appear in the last few months.
  • In this thread @Mischa68 shifted from another provider and got the fault on connection.
  • There should not be a NW alert !
  •  I have no messages.
  • I have an email from Vtech technical department, stating that the cordless complies .
  • A normal unanswered call registers as a missed call.
  •  I have no  Messages ,then why would the system send a missed call  reversal +FSK?
  • Is the FSK signal for No Messages different to Message left.and why would it exist?
  • Thanks Malcolm T. 
Kerborous

The NW will send the status (alert etc) of the the NW messages periodically to indicate to the attached phones the existence of a message or if there are no messages.   This design allows for a newly connected phone to sync up when 1st connected or if the user unplugs their phone and moves also losing the message waiting status.

When a new message is left or a message is cleared from the NW this  triggers the NW to send the status to the phone.

In the case of @Mischa68 experience of moving between providers it depends two things:-

1. Did Optus provide a voice mail service and therefore the Alert / FXS signalling

2. What type of alert signal did Optus transmit - ie is there a line reversal?

BTW I would be very interested in the VTECH DECT phone model number that the thread is about. 

Ultimately there are  2 variables about this perplexing problem

1. It only happens with VTech DECT cordless phone*

2. It only happens with Telstra modem.

If we swap the provider of the service or VTech phone the problem goes away.

Note: *On a T1000C from Telstra it doesnt happen. On my Gen2/Telstra service. 

Thanks K.

Level 22: Superhuman

Please be aware that Telstra distribute 2 brands of Gen 2 Smart Modems that visually look almost identical, but perform very differently.

The Technicolor is less buggy than the Arcydyne.

The techncolor has air vents on both upper edges below the lid and near the serial number.

The Arcydyne serial number appears to start with arc

You may wish to isolate which brand you have and try to get the other brand.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
PMG67

@Kerborous  @ProfessorPhone the Cordless is. Vtech NBN compatible  cs18150-2.

I have checked the Modem it is Technicolor SN  CP 1826RAZVF. Model No.DJA0230 .

There were a several cases of this occuring recently to that model modem after a stutter dialtone fix was pushed out to them, which was why I asked for the modem model.

I'll see if there's an update to the investigation

PMG67

@Yastiandrie  So the cause was a firmware download for fix Stutter Dialtone , that was not compatible with certain modems .

Next . What is the fix of the fix ?  A different modem ? Waiting an update on what Has to be done to get this fixed.

@PMG67 it was a config update (not exactly a FW update) for smart modem gen 1's specifically. I'm not certain if there are any other similarities between the affected services besides them all using the same modem model, but if I was a betting man a different modem model has a high chance of resolving it as I have not heard of the same issue occuring on other models.

Kerborous

Hi PMG67,

I have done a deep dive in the regulatory requirements. Phones like the Vtech DECT  phone cs18150-2 to be compliant shall be uneffected by line reversals. 

The partial extract from the relevant Australian Standard S002 is below.  Now your earlier confirmation that the missed call counter is occurring after the line reversal gives good grounds to challenge vTech compliance.

>>>>>>

In clause  5.1.2.2 is states:

5.1.2.2 CE shall be unaffected by—
(a) a permanent line reversal; or
(b) a short term line reversal of 40 to 200 ms;
which occur while the CE is in either the OFF-LINE or the ON-LINE
states. Compliance with Clause 5.1.2 should be checked by applications of
polarity reversals.  

<<<<<<<

Please see the link to the full standard below:-

person7
Level 1: Cadet

Having this same issue with a VTech 17550 on FTTN coax setup.

Modem specs:

Serial No
CP1902SAFT2
Firmware Number
18.1.c.0347-950-RC
Modem Make Model
Technicolor DJA0231
PMG67

@person7  Welcome to the fix your own fault team @Kerborous   The Cordless works with a permanent reversal.

As for the fleeting test reversals , I have not a test setup to prove compliance , besides the supplier should have done it. If all else fails I may have to. An observation, when the Reversal and FSK signal arrives  it is Close to 200 milliseconds long ,but the cordless handset screen lights and the Talk button backlight flashes for about 10 seconds , before the missed call counter is incremented. 

Kerborous

Well the check for compliance would involve measuring the line polarity of the telephone line without any phone connected.

It would be approx 48Vdc (maybe less) and capture the duration of the short term reversal which would fall into the range 40 to 200ms.  This is the alert signal that the modem generates on instruction from the NW that happens every 36 mins or after you leave a message.

WARNING: Voltages on the line cord can be quite large especially if a ring signal were to be generated 48Vdc + Ring voltage. In the PSTN NW the peak can be very high like 175vdc peak.

This is why S002 mandates that phones should not be effected by line reversals which appears to be the case with the VTECH unit.

Kerborous

BTW: Your observation "The Cordless works with a permanent reversal" is a requirement  since the PSTN NW doesnt stipulate to connect the phone line copper pair to the phone with wires AB or swapped BA which means phone must work with +Ve or -Ve polarity.

@Yastiandrie wrote:
@PMG67it was a config update (not exactly a FW update) for smart modem gen 1's specifically. I'm not certain if there are any other similarities between the affected services besides them all using the same modem model, but if I was a betting man a different modem model has a high chance of resolving it as I have not heard of the same issue occuring on other models.

It appears that the problem is also occurring with the Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2 see person7's reply.

PMG67

@Kerborous  It has always been that telephones are not polarity conscious. If you give me few days I will do some CRO traces of the test reversals. If you would go back to my previous observations 3 weeks ago I identified that there was a  48 volt DC reversal associated with the FSK signal that initiated a False Missed Call. I will also try an old trick to mask the reversals and see what the result is. 

PMG67

@Kerborous I place a Diode Bridge in series with the line.

The Diode Bridge masked any change on the line polarity.

Apart from not recognising ring current as it also is rectified and becomes DC, the Cordless  Phone operated for incoming and outgoing calls . And registered a genuine missed call 

THE 36 Minute  FSK SIGNAL INCREMENTED THE COUNTER  that is with the  line reversal masked , so the FSK is by it self incremented the counter,  NOT THE REVERSAL.

So the False FSK is the culprit. It should not be there, as I have Message Bank disabled  #99#.

How is  Technical  support going 

So how do we get this fixed ?

Another confirmation update? 

Get Telstra to send out a Generation 2 modem out to all those who have got Generation 1 ? 

This is dragging out without a solution.

Issuing a Generation 2 modem will not fix problem. Person7 who has the same problem is using a Gen 2 modem.

I have a Gen 1 modem and am also using a VTECH phone T5250 but it does not register any missed calls every 36 minutes.

Okay so it's the v-techs:
18159 - from another thread

That are being effected

Have I missed any other makes/models so far?

PMG67

@cf4 @ProfessorPhone @person7 @Kerborous @Yastiandrie   

My service is now working properly. Whether Telstra found a fix or  I have found a fix I will never know.

so what did I do:   Activated Message Bank *99#

Left a message .

Accessed via  125102 

Listened to and deleted  5

Deactivated Message Bank #99#

Went to Telstra Chat and asked to have Message Bank Removed.

I was Transfered  to NBN support.

After considerable time the consultant advised that they would disconnect MessageBank and I was to wait a few hours and Restart my Modem . 

I waited a day and Thursday morning I restarted the modem.

the fault did not go away at this stage but by Friday Morning. 28/6/19 the fault had stopped.

But strange I can still dial 101 and get a NO MESSAGES  announcement.

I suspect that I did not fix the fault , but it is fixed for NOW.

I guess I will never know, such is CrowdSupport. 

Kerborous

When a diode is inserted in series with the phone line between modem FXS port and the PSTN jack of the phone then the Alert Signal will be altered as follows:-

Before diode is inserted the altert voltage signal would be:- 

+48Vdc, -48Vdc for ~150ms duration, +48Vdc

After a diode is inserted then the altert voltage signal would be:

+48Vdc, 0 Vdc for ~150ms, 48Vdc  assuming no stray capacitance so the phone will still be presented with a 150ms pulse of zero voltage which could explain the triggering of a call sense event.

To truely mask the alert a better test would be add 4 diodes (1N4004 or similar ) in a rectification bridge topology between FXS and phone terminals. This would effectively eliminate the alert pulse by rectifying it.

Now all these measurements may not be possible if message waiting was disabled.

regards

K. 

A Diode Bridge was inserted not a single diode.

A diode Bridge would convert the negative 150 millisecond to a positive voltage. IE there is no change in voltage.

In actual practice the normal voltage on a phone line is negative and the reversal switches the negative voltage from the a to the b leg but it will still be masked by diode bridge.

This voltage reversal was used in pay phones to indicate the completion of the connection and was also use in pay phones on STD calls to indicate a meter pulse. I am not sure if it is still used.

Kerborous

My mistake I was thinking that it was a single diode.... in this case the DECT phone could be counting FSK message used to describes the presence of a message in the NW as a call event.

Which would still be a matter for DECT handset supplier to rectify .

This is rather strange to comprehend as FSK signalling is used during incoming calls to notify the user of the number of the caller (ie Caller ID).

Potentially there could be a bug in the DECT handset which incorrectly counts the every type of FSK signalling as a call event rather than using the ring signal to count call events. 

PMG67

The fault has gone , does a body know what fixed it. @cf4  Fleeting test reversal was used to detect customers phone that were barred to STD. 

@PMG67  It was also used on pay phones. At least it was when I was a Technician. On the line reversal the coins dropped into the box. 

PMG67

7EB119CC-F3EB-4440-BFEB-196B44D10D23.jpegCopy of text to get message bank removed???

Support Team
Support Team

HI PMG67,

I'm glad you were able to get through to someone to remove that Messagebank. I hope that does the trick.

Was there something further I could help you with?

Angela 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Kerborous

The Line Reversal was indeed used for several reasons in the PSTN phone NW

1. Payphones to signal when payment was needed

2. STD baring

3. Alert signalling to advise when VMWI was about to be sent.

This is why the Australian sold phones are required to comply with S002 clause.

>>>>>>

In clause  5.1.2.2 is states:

5.1.2.2 CE shall be unaffected by—
(a) a permanent line reversal; or
(b) a short term line reversal of 40 to 200 ms;
which occur while the CE is in either the OFF-LINE or the ON-LINE
states. Compliance with Clause 5.1.2 should be checked by applications of
polarity reversals.  

<<<<<<<

When Telstra disable / disconnect Message Bank, the NW voicemail feature then ALL the NW signalling, line reversal and FSK hopefully will be suppressed.

This will mask the VTech DECT Handset problem at the cost of deprecating the Messagebank feature. A solution that may suit some customers.

Ginny16

I had the NBN connected 3 days ago and I also receive a missed call every 36 mins on my Telstra V580 a wireless phone. I Have to go into the hand held and delete calls to see if any missed genuine calls are there bit annoying. 

Mischa68

Hello PMG67 - I can confirm that these half hour (approx.)  ongoing constant missed phone call records on my VTech cordless home phone only commenced on switching from Optus and plugging in the Telstra Smart Modem. From what I can gather from many many other entries in CrowdSupport, it is not a case of only the VTech phone. I have been now requested by Telstra to try another phone but my previous Telstra cordless won't charge up properly ie, faulty and I am certainly not going to purchase another home phone to test their theory. I DO HOPE Telstra technical people are monitoring these CrowdSupport conversations and not putting their heads in the sand. Other customers should also clearly indicate if they are experiencing the same issue with other brand phones. I also too contacted VTech itself and got a no help. everything is right with our product reply.  

They aren't. An investigation is currently underway

Jickkay
Level 1: Cadet

Did this work?  I had a Telstra technician visit my home and he suggested that the missed calls may have started after a modem firmware update pushed through by Telstra as the problem never occurred about three weeks ago.  He installed a completely new modem and updated it.  This did not stop the 36 minute false missed calls from coming.  I have tried to call him back and have left several messages on his mobile answering machine but he seems to be ignoring me.  I think it is time to submit another complaint form.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Jickkay, 

Sorry to hear this is ongoing and it would be best to have our tech team check on this again here  https://tel.st/8rxsn and we can escalate this to another tech visit if needed. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now