CrowdSupport®
Salo
Level 2: Rookie

Faulty home line

Answered
Can’t make or receive a call and get a static noise on the line. This happens every three months or so. The infrastructure is at least 45 years old. Pity the NBN using these copper lines
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Faulty home line

Hi @Salo that's not good to hear. 

For NBN support there's a 24x7 contact on 1800 TFIBRE where we can test for faults and arrange a tech booking if needed to pop around and fix any issues we find. Let us know how you go. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 22: Superhuman

You can report this to Telstra on 132203
Here is a link to Telstra home phone assistance, though you appear to know the cause
https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/faults/fix-your-home-phone-problem
I agree that the Government should not be forcing NBN to use old technologies, it's extremely short-sighted.
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @Salo that's not good to hear. 

For NBN support there's a 24x7 contact on 1800 TFIBRE where we can test for faults and arrange a tech booking if needed to pop around and fix any issues we find. Let us know how you go. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Salo

I'm not on NBN. That was my opinion about the future of NBN using this ancient infrastructure. I'm on normal landline and very few months I get this problem. 

Support Team
Support Team

Okay sure, in that case please submit your details here: http://tel.st/mu7mv and we can investigate further for you.

htelect
Level 1: Cadet

The same thing happens here whenever it rains. I've been reporting this for over 30 years. Several technicians , all too hard. I pulled the plug out and rely on the mobile phone. Telstra suggests call forward, but that costs.
Salo

That's exactly what happened here
htelect

I have had the static for more than 35 years on my phone line and had to cancel adsl for the computer.
A string of complaints by me and a string of people calling themselves technicians (Too hard) to fix or too lazy.
This week another technician who listened to what I told, him did a complete check of the line and found the fault inside the pipe below the ground in the distribution box at the footpath.
I wish all Telstra employees had the same dedication as this young man. Finally after all these years of substandard service we have a reliable home phone.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @htelect

Very sorry to read about the many years of home line issues that you have had to endure.

I am pleased to read that a tech has been able to resolve the fault to provide a usable line. This is great news.

Thanks for your time and please reach out if you have any other questions or concerns going forward.

- Jimmy

MK2018

I have exactly the same problem - I have lived in my current location for over 20 years. Dial up internet did not work due to the phone lines back in the day so had to go with Telstra Cable as it was the only option. I have two phone lines as I work from home and would be rich if I was paid a dollar for every time I have had to report noise or a dead line. As we are in a cable area we will be the last to get NBN and Telstra dont want to look at fixing the phone situation properly when NBN is eventually coming. I have been overseas and returned a week ago to find both of my phone lines are so noisy they are unusable (usually any sort of heavy rain is the cause) - I have been on hold right now for over 1 hour. I cant find any other way to report the fault. Thanks Telstra for putting small business out of business!
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi MK2018, Sorry to hear about the issues you are having, I understand this can be frustrating, you can report faults with your landline service online here http://tel.st/ewgl2 or via our live chat team 

http://tel.st/764lh;

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now