CrowdSupport®
Kate36
Level 2: Rookie

Fix home phone or wait for NBN?

My home phone no longer works due to corrupted wiring. It is going to cost quite a lot to fix.

Should I get it fixed as NBN is coming? Will I still need phone wiring? Does NBN work off different wiring so is spending over $1000 redundant? Cannot get straight answers out of Telstra have been advised to buy a mobile and get new wiring. 

K

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Fix home phone or wait for NBN?

Is the wiring no good to multiple points or just to the main phone point?

If you are getting FTTN, then you will still need to have a main phone point as this is how the service is delivered. You could get all the other sockets disconnected and just get the line to the main socket repaired (which is covered by Telstra on an old style phone system, or NBN Co if the area has already changed over).
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kate36

Hi Jupiter
Thank you for your quick reply. I have two phone points neither are working. Telstra say it is my problem as the line is corrupted between the telephone pole and my unit. NBN have come and gone from my area without connecting my block apparently they are coming back to connect us but no time frame has been given.
Regards
K

Telstra should reestablish your connection as it is on their side of the boundary (although given that it is an NBN area, that could cause a few issues). You have no ability to fix the problem yourself. You (your licensed cable really) are not legally allowed to carry out works on the line once it goes past the Network side of the first phone point.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Kate36

Thank Jupiter

The first phone point is 50 meters from my unit, so unfortunately I am responsible for the wires from that point. I arrange for Telstra tec to come out. $135 to arrive and $40 per hour to do the work. Think I am in the wrong job.

Regards

K

OK. Thought you were referring to a house.
The first phone point, by definition is within your unit, unless your block of units is connected via an MDF cabinet and then the wiring from the MDF to the unit is normally your responsibility.
When the NBN arrives, this does not change.
$40 per hour isn't bad. My sparky who does the cabling work on my place charges $80 per hour with an $85 minimum.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now