Frustrated75
Level 2: Rookie

Have internet but no phone on NBN

Answered

Six weeks with no landline since going to NBN. Internet is great but no phone. I am tired of playing call centre bingo with no results and few call backs. Nothing has worked. I was sent a new smart modem. Same issue. Finally told it was my phone. New phone no difference! By the way they said go to the Telstra shop to buy another. Well they don’t sell landlines at the Coffs Harbour store. 

There has never been a light indicating the phone is connected, ever. Multiple resets and hours on the helpline without success. Now they say it should be working according to their tests. well it’s not. And yes the phone is connected direct to the modem and there is no splitter.

any ideas? Just get a loud hum of a dial tone. All other lights on the modem are green

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Have internet but no phone on NBN

Not registered indicate the VOIP phone service not registered with the server. It doesn't indicate the handset is not registered. If a DECT handset is registered it will be shown in the DECT Tab. The VOIP not registering with the Telstra VOIP server can only be caused by a network fault (Telstra has not configured your phone service correctly or no connection to Telstra VOIP server) or a faulty modem. There are no VOIP settings in the Modems GUI. Factory resting the modem has fixed the problem in some cases.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
15 REPLIES 15

The modems phone light should be green and it should change to blue on an incoming call or when an outgoing call receives ring tone and during the rest of the outgoing call. The phone light should be green when idle and blue when in use even with no phone connected.
If the phone light is green and it changes to blue when you dial your number from a mobile phone then it could be the phone is not compatible with the modem.
If light is not green or does not turn blue when your number is dialed then it could be fault in Telstra Network.
Frustrated75

Thanks,
There in lies the issue. Nobody at Telstra has been able to rectify the network fault. As outlined, there is no phone light at all and there has not been since the switch

If you log into the gateway http://192.168.0.1 and go to Advanced > Telephony > Information you should see phone line enabled and registered if working correctly. A example of what you should see is shown in section 17 of this document.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zTNtnPDXF_nyOK58cxXUig_JuWXr_-Uj/view

If phone line not registered then Network fault or faulty modem.
Frustrated75

Thanks,
I tried that. Telephone is enabled but no handset is registered
Accepted Solution

Not registered indicate the VOIP phone service not registered with the server. It doesn't indicate the handset is not registered. If a DECT handset is registered it will be shown in the DECT Tab. The VOIP not registering with the Telstra VOIP server can only be caused by a network fault (Telstra has not configured your phone service correctly or no connection to Telstra VOIP server) or a faulty modem. There are no VOIP settings in the Modems GUI. Factory resting the modem has fixed the problem in some cases.

Frustrated75

Thanks again. This is the second modem and have tried resetting several times. This has been the basis of my issues with Telstra. They cannot or won’t fix it.
Mr-Know-It-All
Level 1: Cadet

Sound like my problem that I just got fixed today.

With what you report regarding the lights on the modem and your phone not being active and if your modem is also not showing speeds as expected you may have a line fault in the street.

Turned out only 1 wire into my house was showing active signal so phone didn't work but NBN connection was using 1 wire to send and also recieve internet signal making it appear twice as far from node box as it actually was.

An NBN Technician spent an hour re-wiring pits up and down my street.

Connection speed went from 0.58/16.70 to 18.15/54.99 Mbps.

No charge because it was NBN's fault (degraded wiring).

Frustrated75

Yep, all along I have suspected it to be a line problem. However, six weeks of call centre bingo and now the slow complaint process. Why can’t they just send a technician? It doesn’t take a genius to see something is wrong when you have reset the modem many times, replaced the modem and the phone and it still doesn’t friggin work! The Telstra system sucks, so does their response or lack there of. Time to get other agencies involved. What a great way to treat a customer of 40+ years.
Support Team
Support Team

Hey Frustrated75, thank you for your post.

I am so sorry to hear this has been bounced around that is annoying. G
ive our nbn support team a call direct on 1800 834 273
let them know you would like to book a technician as you have completed all troubleshooting and replaced the devices.

Let me know how you go.

Thank you.
- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Frustrated75

Ryan,
I am so suck of ringing that NBN team. Even though they know the whole situation they appear to have walked away despite my previous request for a technician
I have now lodged a formal complaint with Testra but that will take even longer. Just not good enough.
Support Team
Support Team

Ok I understand, what was the complaint reference number? If you provide this I will use it to contact complaints and request a case manager be assigned as a priority to contact you.

Thank you.
- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Frustrated75

I was contacted yesterday by Henry from complaints who said he would be following up on my behalf. That being said the wheels turn slowly! My reference number is SR 1-1660820862651. I would appreciate any assistance in getting this issue fixed. It has gone on long enough.
Support Team
Support Team

Ok thank you. I have contacted your case manager and requested they call you back as soon as possible to follow this up.

Please advise when Henry calls.

Thank you.
- Ryan

Frustrated75

I had a call today from Henry and someone in the tech dept. I am told it is a configuration issue to do the IP address different to the internet. Frustratingly I was told this once several weeks ago or something very similar and it was not fixed. Surely they have the ability to rectify and follow up. Given it is now Friday, nothing will happen over the weekend so another 2 full days passes by. To say I have little or no confidence is an understatement. Why does it take a formal complaint to even get responses. I expect better from Telstra, as a customer for more than forty years this does not sit well at all.
Support Team
Support Team

Thanks for the update, if you have any further trouble with this please let us know.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now