OB301
Level 2: Rookie

Home Phone

Answered

I have a Model DJA0230 Smart Modem. A dial tone is present and calls can be made and received on a telephone handset plugged directly into it (approx. a metre of cable) but there is not even a dial tone from the same handset plugged into a wall socket that is connected to the modem. All cabling has been double checked and verified as electrically continuous. The length of the connecting cable is nearly 100 metres. Is this too long or is there another possible reason for this phone not working.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
OB301
Accepted Solution

Re: Home Phone

G'day again cf4,

Got it at last! In that 15 metres of 'shared' cable, an intermittent short between the line in and phone connection pairs. Probably a fault from manufacture. Now I will be able to sleep tonight. Thanks for your efforts.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 24: Supreme Being

Has the wall socket been isolated from street lead in cable and is it connected to green socket phone socket on modem?

Highlighted
OB301

Hi cf4,

Thanks for the response. Yes and yes. New  modem and cabling. Modem on one end (plugged into a green socket clearly marked 'phone') and 2 wall sockets on the other end(s). One of the wall sockets has not and never will be used. There is about 15 metres of 2 pair cable in the run to the wall sockets in which the other pair is the line in from the street. Not connected but in the same sheath. I'm  clutching at straws here but inductive interference?? Everything that I can see says it should work, but it doesn't. I'm obviously missing something.   

I don’t think there would be conductive interference over such a short distance of 15 meters to cause a problem even if there was crossed pairs. Have you checked the resistance between remote socket and the socket connected to the modem by placing a loop on one end and measuring resistance between the a and b wires of the pair, also the restinance with no connection on both ends? Also have you measured resistance between a and b wires of the phone socket used for phone and the a and b wires of the socket connect to street cable?

OB301
Accepted Solution

G'day again cf4,

Got it at last! In that 15 metres of 'shared' cable, an intermittent short between the line in and phone connection pairs. Probably a fault from manufacture. Now I will be able to sleep tonight. Thanks for your efforts.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now