CrowdSupport®
Corky39
Level 4: Private Eye

Home phone NBN connection

Answered

In a non NBN area, home phones are connected by copper street wires from the local exchange. This restricts that exchange number range to the local area or suburb. When the area becomes NBN, does this mean that if I move house, can my same home phone number still be used anywhere in NBN areas (eg other suburbs, country towns) as connection is no longer dependant on copper wire? Just interested in the interconnection of landlines to NBN VoIP.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Home phone NBN connection

Numbers on consumer NBN VOIP are still assigned to services as per the pool for the exchange service area the address is located in like PSTN. I'm pretty certain there's some leeway though if you're moving to say the next ESA over. While it's technically possible for a number to move with you, at least within the same state, I wouldn't expect to see anything like this happening while PSTN services still exist, if at all

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

One could guess.... but... to get an authoritative answer... this is an NBN engineering question best directed to them

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Technically there is no reason why you can't take your number with you but I am not sure if Telstra allows you to do this. I have taken a Australian VOIP number provided by another VOIP provider with me when traveling using a VOIP app on my phone. Have even used the number overseas. 

Accepted Solution

Numbers on consumer NBN VOIP are still assigned to services as per the pool for the exchange service area the address is located in like PSTN. I'm pretty certain there's some leeway though if you're moving to say the next ESA over. While it's technically possible for a number to move with you, at least within the same state, I wouldn't expect to see anything like this happening while PSTN services still exist, if at all

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Corky39
Level 4: Private Eye

Thanks everyone for replies. I agree that I don't think Telstra would allow this to happen. Probably no landlines in 15 to 20 years anyhow.

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

It's got very little to do with Telstra and a lot to do with the Australian Numbering System Rules that are administered by the ACMA.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now