CrowdSupport®
Level 2: Rookie

Home phone not working - ADSL patchy

Answered

My telstra home line does not work. ADSL patchy

No dial tone when picked up, when called from mobile it goes straight to messagebank.

I have unplugged it, plugged it in pre ADSL filter, tried different phones and still the same result. 

The ADSL is also dropping out 2-3 times per hour, when trying to watch netflix  for example.

Done all the telstra online troubleshooting. No outages reported. Given up trying to communicate with a person at Telstra, nobody has that much time to waste. Can anybody here give me any ideas? before i have to pay for an engineer to come out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Home phone not working - ADSL patchy

The $120 is what Telstra Wholesale have deemed is the cost for sending out a tech for a false callout. Typically the $120 would apply to a fault on any ISP who uses the Wholesale network, so if you change providers now before it is fixed, they will then still possibly need a wholesale tech to visit and fix the issue and likely (unless they absorb the fee which I only know one provider who did so) still have the same risk of the same fee.

Typically the techs only need access to the street as most of the time they fix issues at the exchange/pit rather than inside the property, if they need access to the property they will book that with you separately.

That being said, if you were looking at changing providers you could speak to the disconnection team and they may be able to arrange the tech for you to help try keep you as a customer. They are typically pretty good to deal with and are based in Adelaide if you call between 8:30am and 9pm on 132200 and say "disconnect"
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

You can report it online here -> http://tel.st/dv2z

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Reporting it there basically consents to paying telstra $120 to send out an engineer. 

This feels like like good money after bad to me, im sick of paying to call them (from a telstra mobile) because the house phone does not work. If they cant find or detect the fault without more of my money they can very likely loose me as a customer.

Highlighted

The $120 is only applicable if the fault is found to be your issue not a network issue. The $120 does not apply for a genuine fault or a network issue only if it is something outside their control such as a device on your end.

Also calls to Telstra, 132200, should be free from a Telstra mobile phone, it has been that way for 5 or 6 years now. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Highlighted

It just feels like a money grab, and a waste of my time. I cant stay home for an engineer, i cant get anybody at telstra to answer the phone. Yet because of random fault i'm expected to all this. It could be they are just messing me around, and it certainly feels like it. Cheaper and easier to get new connection for half the monthly amount, customer service cant be any worse than telstra. Thanks anyway.

Highlighted
Accepted Solution

The $120 is what Telstra Wholesale have deemed is the cost for sending out a tech for a false callout. Typically the $120 would apply to a fault on any ISP who uses the Wholesale network, so if you change providers now before it is fixed, they will then still possibly need a wholesale tech to visit and fix the issue and likely (unless they absorb the fee which I only know one provider who did so) still have the same risk of the same fee.

Typically the techs only need access to the street as most of the time they fix issues at the exchange/pit rather than inside the property, if they need access to the property they will book that with you separately.

That being said, if you were looking at changing providers you could speak to the disconnection team and they may be able to arrange the tech for you to help try keep you as a customer. They are typically pretty good to deal with and are based in Adelaide if you call between 8:30am and 9pm on 132200 and say "disconnect"
Helpful Links

View solution in original post

Highlighted

@rickardo9, you've got me banging my head against a brick wall at the thought of your logic.

You have a problem with your service. You don't want to report the problem with your service because you are worried that you will get charged $120. Your phone isn't working after you have done all the troubleshooting steps. That indicates that there is a problem beyond your premises (or at the very least a problem to the connection to your house). Neither of these attracts a charge for repair.

Changing providers will still require a Telstra technician to come out and fix the problem as your phone line does not work.

Dammit, the brick wall has collapsed. Oh well, we tried.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I have a similar problem - cant get telstra out here to fix it..2 weeks so far. my guess is telstra do not want to fix land lines anymore. the operator I spoke to did not file a fault report as I later found out..

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit