CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
JimBrack
Level 1: Cadet

Home phone number porting

Answered

I'm on the Telstra NBN but would like to port my home phone to another's provider but keep Telstra NBN is this possible and what costs are involved?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Home phone number porting

The Telstra NBN products required the phone service attached so porting out the number would typical trigger the cancellation of the entire bundled services because they are usually linked together.

The only way it might work is to have the number changed and have the number you want to port put on a number reservation and see if they can port it out from that but memory is that when on reservation it can’t always be ported.

Otherwise, getting a new number and just setting up number redirection...

The only suggestion I can make to actually find a resolution is to call 132200 and say disconnect, they can arrange pretty much anything that might help to find a solution so will likely be your best bet.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

If you have a Fixed Wireless or FTTP connection on the NBN, you can have multiple providers for Internet and phone services as they have multiple UNID ports on the NBN box inside your home.

For example - you could have UNID-1 set up for your internet with Telstra and then a second modem gateway connected to UNID-2 with another provider which you would connect your phone into, even if it is just a phone service.

If you have any other NBN connection type (FTTN, HFC) this will not be possible unless you have a second lead-in cable connection. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

jimbo14

Thanks for that.
I'm not requiring a "physical" Phone line, so last decade, The service provider i want to join is a real VoIP provider unlike Telstra's Mickey mouse excuse for VoIP, so all I need is Telstra's FTN NBN, which I already have, and port my existing number to a VoIP provider. Is that possible?
Sorry about the different logins, but I am the same person who asked the original question Smiley Happy
(another telstra strange thing)

Bottom line is I don't want to go through the process of updating my contacts  to a new Phone number  Smiley Happy

Accepted Solution

The Telstra NBN products required the phone service attached so porting out the number would typical trigger the cancellation of the entire bundled services because they are usually linked together.

The only way it might work is to have the number changed and have the number you want to port put on a number reservation and see if they can port it out from that but memory is that when on reservation it can’t always be ported.

Otherwise, getting a new number and just setting up number redirection...

The only suggestion I can make to actually find a resolution is to call 132200 and say disconnect, they can arrange pretty much anything that might help to find a solution so will likely be your best bet.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

JimBrack

Thanks for that very helpful.. Smiley Happy
My solution is get a new number(voIP) and turn on call forward always from my Telstra number,

So now where ever I go to in the world my home (land line) number will be always with me (just a app away) no matter what mobile provider i use. Technology is great, If only Telstra used it...

PS it this page let me log on this time Amazing!

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now