CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Shell10
Level 2: Rookie

Home phone on NBN

Answered

Since connecting to NBN my home phone drops out during a call. I have updated the phone to NBN ready VTech and it is still happening. Have recognised that it seems to drop out after 15 minutes into a call. Can anyone help with this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shell10
Accepted Solution

Re: Home phone on NBN

Today I finally had a technician come to the house and he actually knew what the problem was. It is what our thoughts had been all along and tried to explain to NBN Assurance. The connection at the pole in the street and the conncetion in the old foxtel box were corroded. The phone is no longer crackly and breaking up to the receiver on the other end and my first phone conversation of more than 15 minutes did not drop out. I was able to end the call myself after 31:21 minutes.

I hope this information will assist you if you have a HFC NBN connection and experience the same problem as what we had.

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
14 REPLIES 14
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Contact NBN Assurance via 1800 834 273 so they can check it on their end

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Shell10

Thank you for your advice. I called the NBN Assurance on the number you provided today. It has been quite an experience. The first call cut out after 15 minutes whilst I was explaining the issue, then I expected the call centre to call me back. That did not happen so I called again after about 20-30 minutes and went through the whole computer operated system again. The call centre called me back on my mobile (which is not a telstra moble service) and gave me a reference number and instructions to call back the NBN Assurance again and quote the reference number. This I did and after 21:45 minutes into the call the phone droppped aout agian. They called me back and then asked for S/N number and MAC number from the telstra modem/router, 49 minutes elasped and still no further whith a technician appointment to see what is causing the timed phone call drop out. Will keep you informed. Not a very good experience. Very frustrating expecially when you are paying for a service and not receiving that service.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hello Shell10

1800 numbers can be free calls from services did you check with your service provider if it is a free calls.

In regards to the drop outs you can troubleshoot your Telstra service via the NBN using the information on our Digital Accounts Services page, the following link will connect you tel.st/unap

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Shell10

Thank you, for your input. The problem is the phone line cuts out after  15 to 20 minutes into a conversation. That means my land line phone does not work efficiently under the NBN network, I did not have this problem when I was connected under the old ADSL and telstra phone network. No new cables have been installed from the road to our house. NBN have used old Foxtel cable from over 25-30 years ago. The foxtel cable has never been used since then. Could that be where the problem lies???? 

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

The NBN uses the existing infrastructure to connect customers.

When you speak to our NBN Support Team they can check if there are any issues with line or the equipment they are open 24x7.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Shell10

Thank you but that does not help me. I just want the service I have had with Telstra for the past 42 years. I am loyal and I hope they will resolve this issue. NBN is not providing a an efficient service but we are paying for the same equivalent service. We are now retired am concerned that we are not going to have a service that we can rely on if an emergency occurs. We just want what we had before NBN came ibnto play. It is not faster by no means and is not reliable.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

We are no longer able to supply services via the old Network once the NBN has been rolled out.

- Kath

Shell10

Thank you for your input. It does not help.

Shell10
Accepted Solution

Today I finally had a technician come to the house and he actually knew what the problem was. It is what our thoughts had been all along and tried to explain to NBN Assurance. The connection at the pole in the street and the conncetion in the old foxtel box were corroded. The phone is no longer crackly and breaking up to the receiver on the other end and my first phone conversation of more than 15 minutes did not drop out. I was able to end the call myself after 31:21 minutes.

I hope this information will assist you if you have a HFC NBN connection and experience the same problem as what we had.

View solution in original post

Support Team
Support Team

Hi @Shell10

Glad to hear the tech was able to sort out the issue you were experiencing

Definitely a good idea to contact our NBN assurance on 1800 834 273 if you ever have any trouble with the NBN connection for phone or internet 

You can also find some helpful troubleshooting tips via How To Troubleshoot NBN Issues 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

Shell10

Yes this has been an experience and hopefully NBN Assurance have been updated on the possible issues. Before you commit to HFC NBN, make sure your the NBN technician checks your connections from the street to your old Foxtel box, for the amount of amps coming through and the strength of the signal. I wish you all the best.

Shell10

In addition, I wish to add when the NBN was coming through our street, the houses that had an old Foxtel box that may have previous been connected to Foxtel at some time, did not get new cabling. The houses without an old Foxtel box received new cables. Old connections have not been checked if at some stage you were previously connected to Foxtel. Corrosion set in on our connection within that period.

Jekel
Level 1: Cadet

I have been "connected" for three weeks without any phone access.  Three tech visits and still no answers.  My business is suffering as I work from home.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Jekel,

I'm really sorry to read your NBN isn't working the way it should, I can see how that would be concerning for you under the circumstances, 

If you have an SR case number you can share with me, I can contact your case Manager, send them a copy of this correspondence & ask that they contact you. 

Angela

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now