CrowdSupport®
SheldonCooper
Level 1: Cadet

How can I get rid of message bank?

My 89 year old mother recently changed from a simple landline to ADSL for reasons best known to herself, except that it "appeared cheaper".  The new service has a message bank which  she has great difficulty using - she can use the built-in answering machine on her phone OK.

Here is the problem: On at least five occasions over the last several weeks I have tried to turn off message bank (press 5, listen to all the warnings, press #). But the %#$@ thing is still there. Using Telstra's chat line wasn't helpful. How can I get rid of this service she didn't want so she can revert to her old faithful answering machine?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How can I get rid of message bank?

Ring 132200 and get the consultant to remove it from her service.

Does she use the internet? If not, she could have just got a basic phone service.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
SheldonCooper

Thanks Jupiter. I was hoping to avoid the call centre... there are only so many hours left in my life. Smiley Mad

Yes, she had a simple landline account but it's actually a lot cheaper to get ADSL and just use it like a phone line. My idiot sister set up the new account then disappeared back east leaving me to pick up the pieces. General rule when dealing with geriatrics - don't change anything. If it's working for them leave it alone.

SheldonCooper

OK I spent an hour and a half on the phone with Lee in manilla - she was great! Some salient facts to emerge:

1. Although Telstra sold my mother an ADSL service there are no available ADSL lines in her area
  2. Because of 1) the job was never completed
  3. Because of 2) it's not possible to remove message bank
  4. Lee closed the contract and replaced it with "Home Link Australia Ultimate" which is a cheap phone-only service, very much cheaper than the plan she was on previously.

Thanks for your help

Sheldon

Glad you got it sorted. Thanks for letting us know.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now