sirh
Level 2: Rookie

How to connect basic "corded" phone wirelessly to modem on nbn

I want to use my one phone in a different room away from my  nbn HFC  connection box and original Telstra Gateway(TM).  How can I connect it wirelessly to the Telstra Gateway?  Will Telstra Wi-Fi Extender do that? Phone works plugged in via a telephone Extension Lead which is unsightly and a tripping hazard.  Telstra person suggested buying a "wirelessly connected phone" (not from Telstra) but that is another expense, and so far I have not seen such a thing. This must be a common issue for homes where the central convenient place for a phone is not near the nbn box.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How to connect basic "corded" phone wirelessly to modem on nbn

You could purchase a Telstra Voice Extender to accomplish what you are after.
User Guide: https://www.telstra.com.au/content/dam/tcom/personal/home-phone/pdf/TVE-User-Guide-Final.pdf

Cost $48 outright or $2 per month over 24 months.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Mkrtich
Level 8: Inspector

Hello sirh - Telstra has used the name Gateway for a few of their modems and since you are on the NBN, I assume you have, as a minimum, the Gateway Sagemcom F@ST 5355 which supports integrated DECT iq 2.0 Cordless Telephony where the Gateway acts as the cordless base station. I assume this is what the Telstra person may have been alluding to. Other Gateway models also feature DECT iq 2.0 which allows you to connect one or more Telstra T-Voice 503 Cordless Handset ($50) wirelessly to the Gateway. In addition Telstra has a T-Voice App which allows you to make and receive your home line telephone calls on your iOS or Android mobile phone/devices through the Gateway; not sure if provided independently of T-Voice 503 purchase and if both products are still available for purchase or download. I am not familiar the track record of the T-Voice 503 or the T-Voice App in terms of practical implementation, robustness of voice quality on variable distances from the Gateway or reliability.

It wasn't clear in your posting, but if you have a telephone socket already near the Gateway which is in parallel to the room where you wish to use the telephone, it is also possible to connect the Gateway through both sockets using the parallel wiring.

Alternatively, you can connect the Gateway to an Analog Cordless Phone System such as a low cost Panasonic DECT 6.0 Combo Answering Machine + Cordless System (approx. pricing single [$60] or dual handset [$80]). If it is feasible to connect the Gateway to a nearer telephone point or location without running a long cable on the floor to the desired room, i.e. by feeding the required telephone connection cable from the Gateway via a pre-drilled small hole through a wall or floor and you have a spare power point near the Gateway or alternative location as appropriate, then connect the Panasonic base station to the Phone port on the Gateway with the supplied standard telephone cable, allowing you to have the base station located where you would like it and use the cordless handset(s) anywhere within the operating range of the base station which is usually generous in coverage and works very well.

Cordless Phone Systems have great handsfree loud speaking facilities, easy to see Messaging Notification, Call Screening with Answering Machine plus Incoming Caller ID with Name Display so that you can avoid answering those annoying marketing call centres.  

Hope this helps.

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

T-voice app was discontinued a while ago now.
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Mkrtich

Thanks for the update Yastiandrie. Sometimes product life cycles have limited and unexpected time frames. Cheers
sirh
Level 2: Rookie

Thanks to both replies.  I have a Voice Extender now and my handset works in a more convenient place.  Time will tell how well.  It is a modest purchase, enough for current needs , which also gives me a lot of flexibility, eg to use my existing (old) cordless phone on a power point if I prefer for its features.  I wish Telstra and NBN had mentioned that kind of thing as a possibility, amongst all the words and youTubes about connecting to the nbn.  If I'd known right at the beginning, I would not have fretted about details and wifi coverage and spent lots of time trying to solve an exaggerated possible problem.  MKTRTICH's explanation of the newer cordless phones cut through the jargon for me.  I had remained confused over what I needed after read the blurbs on packaging at Harvey Norman and Office Works telephony products and user manual references! 

Mkrtich

sirh - Glad all was resolved and working well. All the best. 

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now