CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

How to extend ring times for Message Bank on homephone landlines on the NBN.

Answered

My landline home phone on the NBN goes to message bank after only 4 rings. I have tried extending the time to 45 seconds by ringing *9945#. The phone rings through OK and I then get the following automatic reply: "Your message bank is on or your ring time has changed". However, this does not actually work and the phone still goes to message bank after only 4 rings still. I have rung Telstra support twice and they have been unable to solve this problem. My landline is a Uniden DECT 8355. I have switched off its answering machine as suggested by Telstra and also extended its number of rings to the maximum of 12 but neither has helped. Is this still a problem with Telstra land lines on the NBN or has someone managed to solve it and if so, how?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Re: How to extend ring times for Message Bank on homephone landlines on the NBN.

I also came across Toll Saver for Uniden but it wasn't the problem as I had a spare GE phone and the problem was still there after I removed the Uniden phone from the system. 

However, the good news is that the problem has been solved. It turned out to be a faulty modem. The Telstra technician and I trouble shot the problem, tried everything and there were a couple of clues. Telstra could ring my landline and get more than 4 rings at their end but I only got 4 rings here. I also told the technician that a strange thing happened when I unplugged the security camera system (DVR) from the modem ethernet port - the ring times would drop to only 1 then 2 and then after a while it would go back to the usual 4 rings. I installed a new modem and immediately the problem was solved. The *9930# works perfectly and I can dial up any ring time I want up to 60 secs. I had to change the WiFi settings for the new modem back to the old SSID and password for the installed security camera to work as it was locked to the previous SSID and password apparently but that meant I didn't have to change the passwords on any of my devices here. I also had to port forward the camera's port by entering the info into the portforward area of the modem (had to turn off my anti-virus to allow access to the "Go to Advanced" in order to access the portforwarding area. 

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: How to extend ring times for Message Bank on homephone landlines on the NBN.

It may not be picking up the full command sequence.

Try dialling *99 then press dial, then wait for silence on the line, then press 45#

You should then get the same message as before, but hopefully it has picked up the full sequence (suspect that it is not registering the 45 if you enter the whole sequence in one go).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

I just tried that ..I dialed *99 then waited for silence on the line and then pressed 45#. I again got the same message as before "Your message bank service is on or the timer has changed" but still goes to message bank after 4 rings. I also tried 15 seconds ie *99... dial up..silence ..15# but that also didn't work.

Is anyone else still having this problem with the NBN Message Bank?

Highlighted

Update: I tried a further 2 online chat sessions with Telstra support people but still no luck. They aren't able to offer anything beyond the standard response of trying dialing *9945# to change the ring time. For this particular problem, it was actually better than ringing them as I was able to dial up their suggestions on my landline while I was chatting to them online. 

In desperation, I had Telsta turn off message bank at their end but that only made matters worse as the phone still cut out after 4 rings but now there was no message bank.

In the past, I could turn message bank on and off via my landline phone. I had to get Telstra to turn message bank back on at their end as I wasn't able to do that via my landline any more.

Their latest suggestion is that a Telstra phone (as opposed to DECT or GE that I have) will definitely work so I'll give that a try.

Highlighted

I found this in the instruction manual under Answering Machine settings:

Ring Time

Set the number of rings (6, 9, or 12) before the
system answers. Toll Saver makes the system
answer after 2 rings if you have new messages
or after 4 rings if you don’t.

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any other reference to Toll Saver in the Manual, so I don't know how to turn that off if that is causing your problem.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

I also came across Toll Saver for Uniden but it wasn't the problem as I had a spare GE phone and the problem was still there after I removed the Uniden phone from the system. 

However, the good news is that the problem has been solved. It turned out to be a faulty modem. The Telstra technician and I trouble shot the problem, tried everything and there were a couple of clues. Telstra could ring my landline and get more than 4 rings at their end but I only got 4 rings here. I also told the technician that a strange thing happened when I unplugged the security camera system (DVR) from the modem ethernet port - the ring times would drop to only 1 then 2 and then after a while it would go back to the usual 4 rings. I installed a new modem and immediately the problem was solved. The *9930# works perfectly and I can dial up any ring time I want up to 60 secs. I had to change the WiFi settings for the new modem back to the old SSID and password for the installed security camera to work as it was locked to the previous SSID and password apparently but that meant I didn't have to change the passwords on any of my devices here. I also had to port forward the camera's port by entering the info into the portforward area of the modem (had to turn off my anti-virus to allow access to the "Go to Advanced" in order to access the portforwarding area. 

View solution in original post

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit