CrowdSupport®
MaxSophie
Level 3: Gumshoe

How to handle 'spoofed' calls on VOIP

Answered

Occasionally we receive random calls to our home phone (which is via Telstra/NBN VOIP) reportedly from various states (QLD, NSW, SA) which appear to be 'spoofed' disconnected numbers.

If we answer, line is silent.

I've rung some of the numbers back from my private mobile and they all come back saying "this number is disconnected", so I assume they've spoofed the number via VOIP (?).

Not a big issues as we now just don't answer the unknown numbers.

But does anyone know of a way to block these calls (using the Telstra Gateway Arcadyan model) as the numbers are always changing? I guess the only option would be a wild-card (eg. 07 ******** to block all 'QLD' numbers)

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: How to handle 'spoofed' calls on VOIP

Hey @MaxSophie, thanks for reaching out. We are unable to track/block the numbers that are phoning as they are generally using a VOIP service which regulates a new number each time they phone. I recommend registering with the Do Not Call list here https://tel.st/7zvfy. This is a free government service where consumers can securely register their home, mobile or fax numbers for free to reduce unsolicited telemarketing calls. I also advise to have a chat with our Unwelcome Calls team on 1800 039 059 Monday-Friday (9am-7pm AEST) to discuss options on dealing with these calls. If you’d like to report the caller, this can be done online here: https://tel.st/j2g6l. We also do have the Telstra Call Guardian 301 which is a handset that can help block nuisance calls on your home phone. For more information check here: https://tel.st/k67ew. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hey @MaxSophie, thanks for reaching out. We are unable to track/block the numbers that are phoning as they are generally using a VOIP service which regulates a new number each time they phone. I recommend registering with the Do Not Call list here https://tel.st/7zvfy. This is a free government service where consumers can securely register their home, mobile or fax numbers for free to reduce unsolicited telemarketing calls. I also advise to have a chat with our Unwelcome Calls team on 1800 039 059 Monday-Friday (9am-7pm AEST) to discuss options on dealing with these calls. If you’d like to report the caller, this can be done online here: https://tel.st/j2g6l. We also do have the Telstra Call Guardian 301 which is a handset that can help block nuisance calls on your home phone. For more information check here: https://tel.st/k67ew. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

There's no wildcard options for number blocking on the Telstra modems

I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Mkrtich
Level 13: Super Sleuth

Unfortunately our telephone numbers are being targeted by many people who have gained access to customer databases or just use a computer generated list to dial out numbers.  Sometimes I get 4-5 calls a day from bogus parties from all parts of Australia and overseas - the best one I have seen came from a number which displayed 007007007007.

Ten years ago, I installed a Panasonic DECT Cordless Phone System with a Digital Integrated Answering Machine which greets incoming callers with my personal message indicating that their call is being screened and recorded and if they are family or friends to leave a message. If I am home and it is a genuine call from someone I know, I will hear their voice and pick up the phone. I get a 100% success rate of hangups from unwanted bogus Call Centres - they never leave a message and life continues uninterrupted by these annoying distractions. 

Highlighted
abthomp
Level 11: Detective

Telstra Call Guardian 301 - great piece of kit.

Very much recommended.

We've gone from anything up to half a dozen scam calls a day to none.

They don't bother trying to get past the bit where they have to identify themselves and then you simply look later and place a block on the number.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now