CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
JoKoSt
Level 1: Cadet

I cannot receive calls on my home phone after switch to nbn. Outgoing calls and internet connection

Answered

I migrated my home phone from Optus and switched to a Telstra NBN plan with the view of supporting Australian companies. Since the installation of the nbn connection box last Thursday 23/8/18 I cannot receive calls on my home phone. I can receive calls from Telstra customer service but not from anyone else. I have spent hours last Saturday, Sunday and Monday on my mobile with the so called Specialty Team, all troubleshooting tests were done, the problem kept escalating to a higher level in customer service, but as of today Tuesday 28/8/18 the fault has not been rectified. My incoming calls are now being redirected to my mobile phone.

Can anyone please help me with advice on what to do next. I'm 80 years old with a sick wife and I need the complete phone service.

JoKoSt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

Re: I cannot receive calls on my home phone after switch to nbn. Outgoing calls and internet connect

@JoKoSt

We've seen this happen a few times in Technical Support, and the issue is usually resolved by a settings change on our side.

The reason that our Technical Teams can call you is that we use VOIP Phones.

You'll find that other people on the nbn can also call you without issue as this is also a VOIP service, however you will have problems with anyone still on a regular copper connection until the profiles for your service are updated.

I would be able to check on the progress of this for you with a reference number, however you have indicated that one was not provided.

Just to double check though, was this perhaps emailed or SMS'd to you at the conclusion of your call?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: I cannot receive calls on my home phone after switch to nbn. Outgoing calls and internet connect

It's odd that you could receive calls from the Customer Service Consultants but no-one else. I've never come across that sort of behaviour for a ported number. Normally you would either expect no calls to go through, or only calls from Optus phones to go through. I can understand why it needed to be escalated, it's plain odd.

Unfortunately, when things that are out of the ordinary happen, it can take extra time to fix. Did the consultants that you spoke to give you an INC or SR type number?
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
JoKoSt
Level 1: Cadet

No number given, only told that problem is escalating to network level team.

JoKoSt

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)
Accepted Solution

@JoKoSt

We've seen this happen a few times in Technical Support, and the issue is usually resolved by a settings change on our side.

The reason that our Technical Teams can call you is that we use VOIP Phones.

You'll find that other people on the nbn can also call you without issue as this is also a VOIP service, however you will have problems with anyone still on a regular copper connection until the profiles for your service are updated.

I would be able to check on the progress of this for you with a reference number, however you have indicated that one was not provided.

Just to double check though, was this perhaps emailed or SMS'd to you at the conclusion of your call?

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now