CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
MoB3
Level 2: Rookie

I want my hard wired Telstra-owned phone disconnected. Why is this so hard?

Answered

Connecting to the NBN makes my 22 yr old rented wall phone inoperable. It is hard-wired. Telstra Support page says contact them and a technician will remove it free of charge. Ha, not if you happen to have your ADSL through a provider. Although Telstra own the rented phone and the line, they say I have to get my provider to speak to them. Spoke to my provider, Dodo "you'll have to get a private technician". No, just pick up the phone and speak to Telstra, get them to call me to arrange an appointment for free removal. Sound of crickets... not getting anywhere. Help! What if I just pull the damn thing off the wall, wires and all? (joking). What can I do?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: I want my hard wired Telstra-owned phone disconnected. Why is this so hard?

Do you have a phone and Internet service with Dodo? Is the phone service still with Telstra? Even the phone service not with Telstra if you are still paying Telstra rent for the phone they should come out and remove it free of charge

Did the person you spoke to in Telstra know that you are still paying rent for the phone. I would ring Telstra again and make sure they know that you are still paying Telstra rent for the phone. If they don't agree to send some one to remove phone point them to the Web page with the information on it and if they still want send some one out to remove phone tell them you wish to lodge an official complaint. Official complaints can also be lodged on line using this form.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

View solution in original post

Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Try the Online Support system at http://dodo.com/feedback or by email to complaints@dodo.com.au

After that it is a trip to the TIO.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
16 REPLIES 16
Level 22: Superhuman

Hello, if the phone is in fact definitely inoperable, I can't see a reason why you can't unscrew it.
I wouldn't just pull it off the wall, but the wires can be carefully removed, and for surety, just wrap the edge of the wires in tape, separate to each other. Thanks
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles you to be an expert at everything !!"
Level 21: Augmented

If it was Telstra owned you should be paying rent. Which is different to Telstra branded.

But, I can't see Telstra going into any home to remove phones that have become obsolete due to the NBN. After all, it wasn't them that installed the NBN. The NBN also owns the copper wire as part of the roll out.

Imagine the cost to do that all around the country.

Where abouts did you read that Telstra would do that?

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
MoB3

MoB3

And yes, I've been paying rent for 22 years on this phone!
MoB3

The phone is still operable. As it's hard wired, there is presumably a power supply to it so it will work in a power cut. Not comfortable removing wires in that situation. However, the phone will no longer operate when I connect to the NBN shortly, but will its power supply still be live? Telstra has had hundreds if not thousands of dollars rent for the handset over 22 years and I'm less than happy with their response.

@MoB3wrote:
https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/home-phone/installation-reconnection/return-a-rented-hom...

That is for returning the phone. Not them coming out and taking it away. I haven't read anything that Telstra come out and remove the phone once the NBN is installed in the area.

I returned mine years ago to avoid paying rent. And just got my own.

MoB3

Did you read it all? Telstra states, in writing, "Note: If your phone is hard wired to the wall and can't be removed, please call us on 13 22 00 so we can organise an appointment for the phone to be removed, free of charge." Telstra does not say that the NBN changes anything, and the phone is still their property. Believe me I'd like nothing better than to return it, but as I have now said several times already, it is hard wired - that is the issue. How did you disconnect your hard wired phone to return it?

Yeah, I didn't read right down to the bottom.

None of my phones were ever hard wired, even going back 35 years. Even then I would've just removed it myself, but that's just me (Although technically not the right thing to do)

This phone, is this your only phone connection? If it is that is going to require more work to have the NBN installed, even if it is just FTTN. Which would also remove the phone at that time anyway and put in a new wall socket.

FTTN connections come in as the first connection to the home. Extensions would need to be re-wired to work. 

Accepted Solution

Do you have a phone and Internet service with Dodo? Is the phone service still with Telstra? Even the phone service not with Telstra if you are still paying Telstra rent for the phone they should come out and remove it free of charge

Did the person you spoke to in Telstra know that you are still paying rent for the phone. I would ring Telstra again and make sure they know that you are still paying Telstra rent for the phone. If they don't agree to send some one to remove phone point them to the Web page with the information on it and if they still want send some one out to remove phone tell them you wish to lodge an official complaint. Official complaints can also be lodged on line using this form.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

MoB3

You are correct. The phone is still with Telstra. I did make it clear that I was paying rent but to no avail. Dodo bill me for the rent and silent number etc but I assume that they pass these payments back to Telstra as they don't "own" these? I sense that Telstra customer service staff don't actually think things through - at least that was my impression with this operative.
I will call Telstra again and if I get the run-around I will lodge a complaint. However, if anyone out there can tell me how to remove the phone safely myself, I'll do it and throw the handset away. Dealing with this telco behometh is beyond frustrating.
MoB3

The NBN will come into my home to a socket that's "behind" an ADSL splitter as I had a monitored alarm so I am confident that I will have no problems NBN. All the other phone sockets are beyond the splitter and I know they will die as I found this out when I disconnected the phone line in to my alarm system and it killed all the phones but the internet still worked because of the splitter. So, I will just plug a DECT phone in to the NBN router-modem and Bob's your uncle! That pineapple donut and coffee is looking good right now
MoB3

Thanks. I did check with Dodo and they confirm that the monthly payments I make for phone rental and silent number are paid to Telstra so I will take this up with Telstra and invoke the complaints procedure if I don't get anywhere.

Got to love Dodo. All they had to do was to put in a request on your behalf to Telstra (as is the procedure) and it would have been sorted. The problem is going to be, as you are not technically a Telstra customer, there is not going to be an account number to book a technician against.

Dodo is notorious for not wanting to put through requests to Telstra as they don't want to run the risk of being charged for a Technician's visit if a billable problem is found.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
MoB3

You're not wrong there! All Dodo had to do was pick up the phone. What part of 'I just want Dodo to make a call to Telstra' did they not understand? Answer: all of it! Does anyone know how to escalate a complaint with Dodo? Talk about rock and a hard place...
Accepted Solution

Try the Online Support system at http://dodo.com/feedback or by email to complaints@dodo.com.au

After that it is a trip to the TIO.

MoB3

Cheers. Much appreciated. I'll try this right away.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now