pickett
Level 1: Cadet

I would like to know why my elderly neighbour can't get her phone on . She is dying and going blind

Answered

My elderly neighbor has no phone , she is dying and is going blind , she has applied and was  told that she had to show a passport and some other item , she had none of these . Truly is this the way you treat old Australian's . This lady used to be one of your customer's, but she counseled when she was in Hospital for a long time after having stroke's . Please will you look into this . It is very upsetting for us living near her . Regards from a worrying elderly neighbor .   Audrey Marotzek 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Accepted Solution

Re: I would like to know why my elderly neighbour can't get her phone on . She is dying and going bl

It sounds like she is trying to get a new connection.

@pickett The best bet would be if you took her to the local Telstra Shop and get her to take a couple of recent utility bills (or council rates notice), her medicare card and pensioner card (assuming she has either) with her.

That should satisfy the identification requirements to prove who she is and that she lives at the address that she is trying to get the service connected to.

Make sure that the sales assistant organises a professional install for her service (assuming she is going on to the NBN), which should be free given her age (query that) as the setup will be completely foreign to her.

Having someone familiar with her who can help get her through the process will make it easier all round.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: I would like to know why my elderly neighbour can't get her phone on . She is dying and going bl

If her phone has no dial tone you can call 13 22 00 and report her phone as not working. As this is only a community forum and not an official support channel members of the crowd can only offer advice.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat Here, try the Online Troubleshooter or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure:
Level 21: Augmented

I think that the lady wants to have new phone connected, not that existing is dead. Unfortunately, I believe that it is Australian legal requirement to provide proof of identity before you can get any phone (fixed or mobile) in Australia.
@343GuiltySpark is also correct that this is a community ran support forum and we cannot sort this, all we can do is to provide some advice.
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

It sounds like she is trying to get a new connection.

@pickett The best bet would be if you took her to the local Telstra Shop and get her to take a couple of recent utility bills (or council rates notice), her medicare card and pensioner card (assuming she has either) with her.

That should satisfy the identification requirements to prove who she is and that she lives at the address that she is trying to get the service connected to.

Make sure that the sales assistant organises a professional install for her service (assuming she is going on to the NBN), which should be free given her age (query that) as the setup will be completely foreign to her.

Having someone familiar with her who can help get her through the process will make it easier all round.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.

She would seemingly qualify for Medical Priority Assistance. Telstra accept it on face value for the first 30 days whilst she gets her doctor to complete the form the Telstra stores can print out. If she is a pensioner she would also qualify for discounted connection and installation plus monthly rebate. Below the link has a dedicated 1800 phonr number for disabled customers. We are not a customer service channel for Telstra.
https://www.telstra.com.au/aboutus/community-environment/community-programs/disability/disability-eq...
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. My motto: "Doing the right thing is never wrong".
Support Team
Support Team

Hey pickett, thank you for your post.

A huge thank you to the members of the community here for their help, Jupiter is on the money with how to overcome this ID obstacle without having to do too much. For a breakdown of all of the acceptable forms of ID visit https://tel.st/qlvxx and let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.
- Ryan

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more