CrowdSupport®
Cranky82
Level 2: Rookie

Landline and nbn

Answered

I have moved houses where the connections are the same... fiber to the premises. Nbn box on the wall is the exact same, netgear modem is the exact same and home phone hand set is the exact same. I have internet working fine but the phone does not. Telstra says it shows there’s a connection from their end and all we have to do is plug the phone into the back of the modem. I can’t...I have never been able too because there’s no phone port on the modem to do so. We have used this same set up for the past 3 years and now because we’ve moved house they want us to use their smart modem because it’s the “only option” is this right? We had everything working just fine 3 weeks ago with the same same set up. They can not give me a reason except pushing their own product. Any answers please???? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cranky82
Accepted Solution

Re: Landline and nbn

Ok great thank you. We’ll do that. Thanks for all the help

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 25: The Singularity

To use a phone service on the NBN, you either need to have the phone plugged in to the Telstra modem, or have a UNI-V service active.

How did you have the phone plugged in at your previous house?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Cranky82

We had it plugged in at the UNI V port but Telstra keeps telling us that we HAVE to use their modem to be able to use it now. We have had countless calls back and fourth but they don’t seem to get it. 

Do you still have the UNI-V voice service showing on your bill (it's supplied as a separate service, distinct from your main connection)?

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Cranky82

Yes we do. We keep telling them we need the connection through the uni v voice ports but yet they keep telling us that we have to plug into the back of our modem. We’ve been Telstra customers for 18 years and never once plugged our landline into the back of any of our modems. The uni v voice ports are right there on the nbn box and they keep telling us we are in the wrong. I don’t get it? 

If you've been speaking to the consultants on the 1800 834 273 number, then the next step would be to lodge a formal complaint via https://telstra.com/complaints

That way you only have to deal with one person to get it sorted.

It sounds like the move order for the UNI-V service wasn't put through to NBN Co. It may still be connected at your old address.

Cranky82
Accepted Solution

Ok great thank you. We’ll do that. Thanks for all the help

View solution in original post

vK-2
Level 3: Gumshoe

If it doesn't have a phone port it's not NBN compatible.

Highlighted
Cranky82

The modem doesn’t have a phone port, never has. We have for years only used that only for nbn. The nbn box on the other hand has the uni-v ports and that is where the landline connection comes from. Telstra has not set up a connection with nbn through the nbn uni-v ports. We are now having to wait for Telstra to contact nbn and sort that out.... now the long waiting game. It’s already been a month. 

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now