CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Landline number reallocated within hours

So now I'm annoyed. My parents have had the same landline phone number for over 25 years. They have just cancelled their Foxtel account and tried to transfer back to Telstra. Telstra have told them their current landline phone number cannot be transferred to Telstra as they have already reallocated it to someone else!! This landline is an emergency contact for many services, including hospitals for upcoming surgery. Their original landline is giving a message that it is disconnected. Can anyone please help them to keep the landline number they remember and have given to emergency contacts? Surely it cannot be reallocated within a couple of hours!!!! 😡😡😡

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Landline number reallocated within hours

Generally the number is quarantined for 6 months from memory. Id reconmend calling back and seeing if another consultant can assist otherwise id reconmend raising a complaint
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Thank you! Any thoughts, is it Foxtel or Telstra at fault here for the disconnection? Could either of them get the number back out of quarantine (if that's where it is)?
Highlighted

If foxtel was there home phone provider the number should be able to be ported over to Telstra. It gets complicated if the foxtel phone service was canceled then you're applying to telstra for that number. Normally you apply to a different provider and they port the number over from your existing provider. Since you're moving to telstra I would call them so they can request the number from foxtel.
For Official Support Chat Now, try the Online Troubleshooter, check for Outages or Raise a Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.
  • I work for Telstra in the following products.
  • Telstra Platinum, Telstra Business Services, Telstra Smart Home, Velocity, Locator and NBN faults.
  • I'm not here in an official capacity, I just like fixing things and respond in my own time when I can.
  • Include "@343GuiltySpark" in your reply to get my attention if you're after me specifically.
  • My opinions are my own and not that of Telstra's, just so we're all on the same page.
Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team

Hi @AnnoyedVic

If the number is active with another provider, in most cases, we would usually be able to bring it back to Telstra. 

If this is the case, please call us on 1800 676 442 between 8am–9pm AEST/AEDT. You will need your account details from the other provider. 

If the number is no longer active with the other provider, it may need to be reactivated with them before it can be brought back to Telstra.

If it the number was with Telstra & then disconnected, the number would usually be quarantined for 6 months. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit