CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
geom57
Level 2: Rookie

Landline phone problem

Answered
I had cause to lodge the following complaint online and am posting it here as a perusal of CriwdSupport shows there are many others who have, or are experiencing, the same problem.

I will outline the problem simply:
* Transferred landline (xxxxxxx) from Optus to Telstra (originally landline was with Telstra 20 plus years ago).
* Telstra Technician made the switch on Friday 7 December.
* We can make out-going calls.
* We can not receive incoming calls.
* Calling from a Telstra mobile or landline (as tested by the technician and Telstra Technical Support) we can receive the call.
* However we have tested ringing through to the landline from my Optus mobile, neighbour’s Vodaphone, my neighbour’s Optus landline, and cannot receive the calls.

I wonder whether the landline has a delayed waiting period before it is fully activated? Unfortunately, the Telstra Tech Support person contacted today (Saturday 8 December) was unable to confirm or deny this. In fact, he was useless and unable to address the problem other than following his ‘script’ which was not addressing the simple question and the overall problem.

The fact that we cannot receive calls is very problematic. My mother is elderly (86 years old) and not in the best of health. She needs a fully functioning phone service. She must be able to receive calls from Help Providers.

I changed from Optus to Telstra due to poor Optus customer service. Please, let me hope that I will not be compelled to cancel the Telstra landline account. If I do, I will simply purchase a mobile phone for my mother and do without the landline.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response to this complaint that is met with immediate problem fixing, I will be lodging a complaint with both the Telstra CEO and Telecommunications Ombudsman.

Added to this complaint with:

I am adding to the complaint I lodged on Saturday December.

I had reason to phone Telstra Support following my call earlier in the day as the Telstra rep did NOT call me back within the two hour time frame as he said he would with possible solutions to our landline problem. It’s a new connection and we cannot receive incoming calls from a non- Telstra line.

The person I spoke with the second time assured me the landline will be functioning on Tuesday by 7:00pm. However, I am skeptical as the 7:00pm time frame bothers me. Why not earlier in the day? I have reason to doubt because he told me he will arrange to have all calls to the landline diverted to my mobile. Yet no calls have been diverted. I have tested this using friends’ landline phones and mobiles. So, I was mislead.

I have since read on Telstra’s Criwd support pages about same complaints where the problems have not been fixed. I find this very disturbing.
3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: Landline phone problem

Hi @geom57,

Thanks for contacting us. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your landline service and for the inconvenience this has caused. I can appreciate your concern for your mother. I can see that your complaint was just recently raised. I've reached out to our Complaints team and asked them to investigate this matter further as a priority and follow up with you as soon as possible.

Furthermore, if your mother has been diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition, if you or she already hasn't, I recommend applying for Priority Assistance Priority Assistance for Telstra customers.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

- Tim 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

geom57
Accepted Solution

Hi Tim,

Since my last reply to you, I have just checked the landline and it is FULLY operational. So I am now very pleased. Thank you for your support on this. It is disappointing that the Technician did not inform me of the waiting period for connection to the exchange, nor Tech Support. It would have alleviated a lot of anxiety as well as lodging complaints. The matter is now resolved, so thank you.

George

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi George, it is great to hear that this has been resolved, thank you for letting us know.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Post the complaint SR number as well, official reps can use that to get in contact with the assigned complaints manager
I am a Premium Services Support Consultant (Telstra Platinum, Telstra Smart Home, Locator/Device Locator and Neto POS). However, I am not an official representative on CrowdSupport.

IT Helpdesk and Technicial Support by Telstra Platinum
Smart Home Automation & Monitoring from Telstra
Helping Australians Find the Things that Matter Most with Telstra Locator
Run a Modern Retail Business with Neto Point of Sale
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

That problem indicates that Optus have not updated the redirect in the numbering database to redirect incoming calls to the Telstra network (it is a messy system that gets used), calls from outside Telstra still think that your number is an Optus number.

Telstra calls come through because the Telstra numbering database has you recorded as a Telstra customer.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
geom57

As requested:
reference number: SR 1-1811300944796
geom57

I have GUESSED as much myself. The point is no one from Telstra tech support told me this nor if it will be fixed and when.
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @geom57,

Thanks for contacting us. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with your landline service and for the inconvenience this has caused. I can appreciate your concern for your mother. I can see that your complaint was just recently raised. I've reached out to our Complaints team and asked them to investigate this matter further as a priority and follow up with you as soon as possible.

Furthermore, if your mother has been diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition, if you or she already hasn't, I recommend applying for Priority Assistance Priority Assistance for Telstra customers.

Let me know if you have any questions. 

- Tim 

geom57

Thank you Tim. I am HOPING that the problem will be resolved today as promised by tech support. It is, apparently, a simple matter of physically hooking up the line at the Exchange. Apparently before or by 7:00 pm today. Let’s hope so as I really don’t want to have to change providers yet again.
George
geom57
Accepted Solution

Hi Tim,

Since my last reply to you, I have just checked the landline and it is FULLY operational. So I am now very pleased. Thank you for your support on this. It is disappointing that the Technician did not inform me of the waiting period for connection to the exchange, nor Tech Support. It would have alleviated a lot of anxiety as well as lodging complaints. The matter is now resolved, so thank you.

George

Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi George, it is great to hear that this has been resolved, thank you for letting us know.

Representative
Level 3: Gumshoe

My situation has some similarities regarding having the voip services returned to Telstra. My fathers whos account I am authorised to conduct business on his behalf has been without phone since 5th December. That might not seem much but he has a life threatening illness and I feel so sick that Telstra are not treating it as such and say they will have a technician out on the 17th. Medical priorities are supposed to take half the time as normal installations. having said that, They should veef up service to all of us. I am serious when I say that if my father does not have access to a phone in a medical emergency, which is a real possibility, He could die! They wont help after 15 hours on phone calls and 2.5 on chat
Representative
Level 3: Gumshoe

My Father is on Medical priority assistance and has been without a voip service 6 days so far. I have called repeatedly and explained myself and spent over 15 hours on the phone to date. However person to person different call centres and departments they suggest he apply for medical priority as a solution. He already is but his order is not being treated as such. He has been without a phone since 5th December and a technician wont be out until 17/12/2018. Thats what they call priority. My father has a life threatening illness and has been hospitalised several times over the last few months. His wife was able to call an ambulance then, not now though!
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Representative, I can appreciate the need for this line to be restored as soon as possible. If your father is a Priority Assist customer (http://tel.st/pkyv9) then a faster repair time should be provided or an interim connection provided while the restoration work is being completed. While we're not able to access accounts via posts on these forums for privacy reasons, I can contact the technician assigned to the repair if you can let me know the fault reference number in question (This would usually begin with '16' or 'SR-1'). 

geom57

How I empathise!
Earlier this morning I was given this information and link from Tim of the support team:

Furthermore, if your mother has been diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition, if you or she already hasn't, I recommend applying for Priority Assistance

Priority Assistance for Telstra customers.
geom57

How I empathise!
Earlier this morning I was given this information and link from Tim of the support team:

Furthermore, if your mother has been diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition, if you or she already hasn't, I recommend applying for Priority Assistance

Priority Assistance for Telstra customers.

You can click on the live link in the tread above.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now