hobieone
Level 2: Rookie

Message bank on home phone with NBN

Answered

Hi, I no longer use my home phone and in act it no longer works as its built-in rechargeable battery is defunct. However when I call my home number from my mobile phone, the Telstra message bank on my home land line phone still works.  Consequently, some callers still leave me a message on my land line phone but I am unable to access those messages because my home phone does not work.  Rather than buy a new home phone (I don't want to use my landline) I want to turn off Telstra message bank.

As I can't turn off message bank via my own phone I've asked Telstra if they can turn it off for me however they say it has to be done through my own phone - Catch 22!!

Is there a solution to this problem?  I would have thought that as message bank is a Telstra 'product' they should be able to turn it off for me. BTW I can't access any messages left on my land line message bank with my mobile phone, or do I want to.

Cheers.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
hobieone
Accepted Solution

Re: Message bank on home phone with NBN

Thank you for your informative response.  I think I'll give Customer Service another try, but not hopeful - maybe I'll have to buy a cheap phone and do it myself.  Cheers.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being

With NBN and the NGC/VoIP setup, Messagebank is a self-service option controlled on the service itself. My understanding is that they are correct and it can only be deactivated from the phone. If you have a PIN and call 125 102 you can update the settings such as recording, but I don't believe that deactivating the service is able to be done via this option. 

Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Level 22: Superhuman

Telstra customer service can permanently disable message bank
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

From what I have been told both staff both in conversation and as a customer they no longer are able to do it on their end with NGC / NBN Voice services.

On Copper services they had the option, but apparently they aren’t able to do it with nbn and instead have to talk people through doing it them self. I have heard it from 4 staff now so hopefully they aren’t all wrong about something so basic
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

hobieone
Accepted Solution

Thank you for your informative response.  I think I'll give Customer Service another try, but not hopeful - maybe I'll have to buy a cheap phone and do it myself.  Cheers.

hobieone

Thanks for your reply.  I'll give Customer Service another try.  Cheers.

Level 22: Superhuman

Thanks for your Like. It worked for me But you must clear all messages first
Regards
PP
A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now