CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
tEODor
Level 1: Cadet

NBN Home phone line

Answered

I am about to install a Smart Modem Gen 2 and have the NBN connected. Instead of plugging in a single phone handset, can I connect it to my wall socket and thereby connect my current hardwired phones into the this line? I guess my incoming Telstra phone line will be disconnected when the NBN is connected. My connection will be HFC.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN Home phone line

If you have NBN HFC you can connect the phone socket of the modem to an existing wall socket providing the the incoming cable from the street is first disconnected. You can only connect a maximum of three hard wired handsets or wireless phone bases.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

If you have NBN HFC you can connect the phone socket of the modem to an existing wall socket providing the the incoming cable from the street is first disconnected. You can only connect a maximum of three hard wired handsets or wireless phone bases.

tEODor

Many thanks for the info - I'll give it a whirl.

Cheers

Just to clarify my answer the street cable has to be physically disconnected at point it connects internal house wiring. It might not work and could damage the modem if the phone line has been only disconnected in the exchange and not also were the cable connects to the house wiring.

tEODor

Thanks for the advice.  I'll make sure it's physically disconnected.

All the best.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now