CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

NBN and MessageBank messages

Answered

We've identified some issues with NBN and Telstra's MesageBank messages and so we've put the below together as a quick tip guide.

What is Stuttered Dial Tone?

Stuttered Dial Tone is a MessageBank indicator, letting you know that your MessageBank requires action, whether it be setting it up for the first time, or retrieving messages that have been left - this may affect your new NBN service.

How can I fix it?

The Stuttered Dial Tone can easily be removed by listening to any new MessageBank messages that you may have, if there are no messages waiting and you still have the stuttered dial tone please follow these additional steps:

1. Leave a new  message on your MessageBank, you can use your mobile to do this
  2. Then listen/ remove your new message,  you can also do this remotely if you are not at home

Once the above has been completed it should then clear the stuttered dial tone.

In the rare situation where the above steps do not clear the stuttered tone please call us on 1800 834 273.

If you are wanting to turn off MessageBank on or off:

Turn off MessageBank
  • Dial Tone # 9 9 #
  • Announcement

Turn on MessageBank
  • Dial Tone * 9 9 #
  • Announcement

Hope that helps...

CrowdSurfer

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

Re: NBN and MessageBank messages

This post has been nominated to our Community Wiki and a new article created here https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones-Services-KB/NBN-and-MessageBank-messages/ta-p/649...

I will be locking this thread also, please feel to create a new thread if you want to start a discussion on NBN or MessageBank services.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
27 REPLIES 27
Bally333
Level 1: Cadet

I've just signed up to NBN and now my message bank want recognise my password, has this happen to anyone else?
Support Team
Support Team

Hi Bally333,

If you have just switched over to the NBN and you are trying to access your messagebank service for the first time you may find that the PIN has been reset to the default PIN which is why yours is not working. If you aren't sure what the default PIN is (for security reasons I won't post it in public here on CrowdSupport) send me a private message and I will let you know

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

LMarc
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have this stuttered dial tone, so I reported it to support by phone. The person there tried various things but nothing worked and she said she would put it up for next level support. I have had no follow up - no email, nothing -after a week or so.

Now the phone doesn't connect immediately it is answered; sometimes I can hear a caller and other times I can't, sometimes they hear me and other times they don't. My phone was fine but it started doing this all of a sudden in the past few weeks.

I am on NBN but was told originally that there was no need for a dedicated phone line as part of the package because it would work OK on the Technicolor gateway (which, incidentally changed software to Coral which I asked to have rolled back twice so I could get the old functionality back but was never resolved after two sets of calls so I gave up).

Is this something that also can't be resolved? Should I just abandon my fixed line service? 

LMarc
Level 3: Gumshoe

Well, given all of the problems and the lack of answers, I decided I ring the support people at Telstra. I was told that the technician had reviewed my issue and had resolved it! However, this was untrue as the same stutter dial tone was present and there was a delay when I couldn't hear the caller, and they were hearing a ring tone three rings after I had answered!

So the support person re-enabled voicemail, left a message on it, deleted it and removed voicemail. This seems (fingers crossed) to have fixed it finally.

LeilaD

I am having the same problem. How can I contact you to find the basic voicemail login?

huterfgg77

I am having the same issue, after our NBN installation the pin for home phone message bank no longer works. Please advise how to have this resolved.

KTC

tried to turn off 101 from my home phone following all the options given and nothing happens, it is still there, there is no option to remove this stupid service that i do not want, HELP !!!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi KTC

To turn it off completely you'd need to contact Telstra either via Live Chat:  http://tel.st/hsc3 or over the phone on 1800 834 273 to arrange it.

[Edited to provide correct NBN contact number]

mat7

The website WWW.telstra.com/messagebank does not help if you are on NBN.  To turn messagebank off #99#.  To turn it on *99#

MikeC69

Hi Ashley. Have got exactly same issue you refer to with my msg bank. Old Password no longer accepted. Can you give me the default pin so I can access, thks

Lexcrilldug

Please let me know the default pin as well, as my message bank now has six messages I cannot access.  Also we have random scammers trying to contact us regarding fitting another 'box' with our NBN.  Please be aware of these.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Mike,

You will need to contact Tech Support for assistance with this as we will not be able to reset your Messagebank Pin via a request on Crowd Support

- Shelly

Pistoli

I also have just connected to NBN with home telephone via UNIV port on NTD patching to old copper service with in the house. After all being well for first 4 weeks I had my monitored alarm kick up a trouble light the other night which when investigated was that it had tried to contact base 8 times unsuccessfully so went into fault. On picking up the handset to check the line I found this strange stutter dial tone that wasn't there after the NBN phone service was first connected.
Further investigation led me to work out it is Home Message Bank with messages waiting (take one guess who left those, our mates from the dodgy call centers just repeating themselves saying hello, hello).

Firstly the #97# from PaulQ doesn't work and says it's invalid.....
I then read in another post here that NBN message bank is different to conventional message bank and that it is #99# to turn the service off.
That didn't work either I just got a voice prompt message saying "Your request has been unsuccessful".

I tried ringing Telstra on the 1800834273 from PaulQ post to seek more information about Home Message Bank, it's use, maybe a manual of codes (so I can turn it off) and then I asked them to turn it off at a hardware/account level as I don't want it turned on cause it effects my monitored alarm from dialing out.
Then they ask me, that's right, ask me "ok sir tell me how to turn that off for you".
I said "how do I know that's why I'm ringing you to get it disabled". Suffice to say they are absolutely useless and a joke to Telstra customer support....

So now I'm posting here trying to get some support.
Any help or suggestions greatly received.

Regards,
Pete.
Pistoli

Also I tried live chat from this link http://tel.st/hsc3 that Steph posted to KTC above and that live chat/bigpond session went no where with them telling me to ring 132203.
Tried dialing that but it seems like it goes to the same centre as the 1800834273 so I hung up.
pw_aos

Ashley

I have the problem that others have in that I cannot access my voicemail. You suggested in other post that when changing to the NBN it resets voicemail PIN to defualt, can you advise what that is . I cannot get through to NBN support, the waiting time is very long

vrrrb

I also have this problem after setting up our NBN. We have messages that we can't access. Can you advise the default PIN so that I can reset this or tell me how to cancel the whole thin ??

ffasteddy

Can you advise me of the default pin number as well?  Thanks

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Vrrrb & Ffasteddy,

Can you please confirm if you're using the default NBN messagebank  or Telstra Messagebank? If you're using Telstra Messagebank the pin is typically the last 4-6 digits of your phone number however we can remove this if you like by contacting us online here or by calling us on 132200.

-Chris

cpscott

Well, after a some time on the phone without luck I tried this advice and it worked...  Thank you Chris, but I would have thought that those on the help line would have had this information.

signal1

Steph, you need to update this information.  The 13 22 00 number is the recorded voice and you can't get past her limited enquiry responce.  Chat line doesn't deal with NBN.  Got on the merry-go-round for different departments.  Why do I have to go through Support to turn off Home Messages?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Telstra customers on NBN should call 1800 834 273 for any query as it will give options for Billing, Sales and Tech Support. 

- Shelly

moggyw

Hi PaulQ

Looks like you made a typo. I tried #97# and it didn't work. Then I scrolled down and saw someone had put #99# and my message bank is off. You might just want to update your message as it is at the top of the list.

cheers

moggyw

peteryates383

Being driven mad by message bank beeping madly but it won't recognise our pin . I think you said you may be able to help .we have tried everything but do not know default number .appreciate any help. Thank you in advance

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi peteryates383

You'd need to contact our support teams to get your PIN - we can't get this over CrowdSupport sorry. 

If it's for the NBN, our team on 1800 TFIBRE can give you a hand with your PIN

robynblack

please send me default pin, this is bloody ridiculous, why was I not told about this!

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@robynblack

You'd need to contact our support teams to get your PIN - we can't get this over CrowdSupport sorry.

- Matt

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Accepted Solution

This post has been nominated to our Community Wiki and a new article created here https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones-Services-KB/NBN-and-MessageBank-messages/ta-p/649...

I will be locking this thread also, please feel to create a new thread if you want to start a discussion on NBN or MessageBank services.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now