Highlighted
spirited1au
Level 1: Cadet

New Line Connection fee

Answered

Hiya,

Moved into our rental property april this year, finally have everything connected, phone adsl, tbox and happy so far.

End of last week I get our first bill and find I have been charged a $299 line connection fee.

During signup I received a call regarding whether the propery already had phone lines installed to which I replied yes.(old point downstairs, new 2 x points in office upstairs.

A technician came out, checked downstairs connection, left for about 20 mins (to go to the exchange I believe) and then came back checked the newer upstairs phone points said all ok and left.

Today I spoke to a lady on live chat who informed me "

confirmed with the technician that a new line was installed at the Telstra pit, but not inside
your property.

Although the tech went inside the house and informed you that the line is okay, it was only to test
and confirm that the connection he did at the exchange was succesful.".

I have since checked with the real estate and have confirmed a previous tenant was connected from 2010 to 2011 (name and then number supplied), approx October 2011, as very last tenant was here only 6 months until we moved in.

So if there was a line here, used within the last year, why have I had to pay for a new line installation?

If someone could help clarify why I would appreciate it Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Sam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: New Line Connection fee

If you already had a line to the property that was previously connected, and hasn't since been connected to another providers equipment (such as Optus ULL or Naked DSL from another provider) then you should generally only be charged ~$125 which is the fee for an inplace connection requiring a technician visit.

If however the lines were connected to another providers equipment, such as the cases I've outlined above, then you may have to wear the full new line connection fee.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Accepted Solution

If you already had a line to the property that was previously connected, and hasn't since been connected to another providers equipment (such as Optus ULL or Naked DSL from another provider) then you should generally only be charged ~$125 which is the fee for an inplace connection requiring a technician visit.

If however the lines were connected to another providers equipment, such as the cases I've outlined above, then you may have to wear the full new line connection fee.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
spirited1au

Hi Kalak,

I am on Mt Crosby exchange (Qld) which is wholly Telstra from my understanding and attempt at finding other providers in the past Smiley Wink Naked DSL unavailable here.

Thanks for your reply!

Well then they should only be charging you the $125 connection fee.

grumpycustomer

im VERY dissapointed with telstra,we live in lara victoria wich is semi rural and only adsl provider is telstra,cable isnt available in the area and optus doesnt service the area at all,were recently moved here from newport in melbourne where we had optus cable running at most days 42m download speeds and oly were charged 99 dollars a month, no connection fee,no locked in contract,free modem and 500gig, here we are on adsl2 with 200 gig for just under 100 dollars were charge a hefty connection fee plus charged for modem and delivery of modem,highway robbery on telstras behalf if you ask me but thats what you pay when they have the monopoly of the market,hopefully another carrier comes soon as ill gladly cancel my contract and switch 

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now