CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
grantix
Level 1: Cadet

New connection in new apartment building

Answered

My wife and I have just purchased a new apartment in a recently completed building and are wanting to connect ADSL2+ broadband (which I have been told by Telstra is available to the address). 

I have spoken to Telstra twice today and have gotten two different answers about how much activating my line will cost me. From other threads I have read here it seams that when in doubt Telstra like to charge the maximum amount of $299 and so I'm reluctant to proceed with anything.

What I have been told so far is this (as I said each different person I spoke with gave me different advice):

1) That because it is a brand new apartment and no-one has had a phone or internet connection before, a technician will need to come out and connect the line which will cost anything from $99 to $299 and on top of this I will be contracted to Testra to have either a bundle or at least a land line (which will cost me $27.95/month for 3 months for a phone line I will never use or $100 to cancel). As I'm not interested in having any Telstra service (I'm not a sadist and I like spending money on things like beer and holidays rather than paying ridiculous amounts for data) this means to get a line into my flat it will cost me up to $399 according to Testra sales rep 1.

2) That if I agree to a Telstra bundle plan of 24 months then the $99 connection fee will be wavered. I asked if this was correct and explained again that this was anew build and we were going to be the first people to live there. The sales rep was confident that there would be nothing to pay if we agreed to a contract... I on the other hand wasn't so confident with this advice. Again, from reading other threads on similar topics I feel I would get an unpleasant surprise of an additional $299 added to my first bill. 

I also spoke to Belong (the Jetstar of Telstra internet) and the sales rep there did a search on my address, told me there was ADSL available and that if I signed up to a contract there would be no charge.

Is it possible that even though we will be the first to live in this property there might not be an charges to connect? It is a new block of 39 apartments on the edge of the Melbourne CBD. 

Thanks,

GRB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Re: New connection in new apartment building

Hi @grantix

The connection fee is $99 if you’re a new Telstra Home Phone or Home Broadband customer taking up a 24 month contract or $240 for customers taking up a casual plan. Standard Professional Installation is included at no extra cost if we determine it is mandatory at your premises.

You can find information about this on the critical information summary here

If moving though, a new connection would be $299. 

You can find moving connection fee costs here

You can find our current home broadband plans & check what's currently available at your address here

If you would like to discuss options suitable for your address, I'd recommend calling our sales team directly on 1800 709 957 between 8am-9pm AEST/AEDT.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
4 REPLIES 4
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I'm actually surprised that a new block of apartments has been connected with ADSL instead of NBN. I didn't think that was possible.

But being the first service being connected to the apartment, I would be expecting to be charged accordingly.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
grantix
Level 1: Cadet

NBN isn't available - is available one block away. Not scheduled until 2020.
Level 23: Superhero

I'm quite sure one way or the other that you will be intially charged $299.00 or whatever the current charge is.
I'm also quite sure that your first bill will show $299.00 but... its possible that the sales person who said you'll only pay $99.00 .. if he comes good ... would apply a credit for $200.00 to get to $99.00.
Its possible .but never sure.... he has this discretion if you are locked in for 2 years.
I'd be insisting on an email stating everything promised to you before committing.
Thank you
If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

Hi @grantix

The connection fee is $99 if you’re a new Telstra Home Phone or Home Broadband customer taking up a 24 month contract or $240 for customers taking up a casual plan. Standard Professional Installation is included at no extra cost if we determine it is mandatory at your premises.

You can find information about this on the critical information summary here

If moving though, a new connection would be $299. 

You can find moving connection fee costs here

You can find our current home broadband plans & check what's currently available at your address here

If you would like to discuss options suitable for your address, I'd recommend calling our sales team directly on 1800 709 957 between 8am-9pm AEST/AEDT.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

View solution in original post

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit