Robyn50
Level 1: Cadet

New house phone and internet connection

Hi,
I have recently moved to a newly built house and before building checked and was informed that both ADSL2 and sky muster would be available.
Now that I am trying to connect phone and internet, I have been told that skymuster isn’t yet available and Telstra will not connect ADSL due to insufficient infrastructure. There is a pit just across the road from us, so not sure what this means.
I was offered mobile internet at an exorbitant price for next to no data allowance, which I don’t think is viable due to sketchy mobile coverage. Mobile coverage is currently 1 bar if 4g which always drops back to 2 bars of 3G.
Not sure where to go from here. How do I get my ACCC guaranteed reliable phone and internet?
I would like to add that I am not in a remote area being just 2 mins from an NBN connected town and 20 mins from a large city.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: New house phone and internet connection

From my understanding only a landline phone service or compatible phone service (mobile phone provided) can be guaranteed where as there is no guarantee of an internet Service. Though if you're in a sky muster area in not sure why you can't be connected, though Telstra does not provide NBN sky muster services.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Robyn50

As it stands atm I don’t have either. No landline and unreliable mobile coverage. As for skymuster, nbn co are saying it’s available, but none of the service providers are providing access for another 9+ months. 

I need to know what to try next. Should I get a mobile signal booster?

Level 24: Supreme Being

If you contact Telstra you can request a landline service and they are required to provide a landline service or an alternative phone service if they are unable to do it via the copper network.

Only a select few providers actually deal in skymuster plans, unless it has improved often they were about the same as mobile broadband as far as data included and prices, so if It is going to be a number of months it could be worthwhile speaking to mobile support about booster/antenna options instead.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Robyn50

Yes I think the mobile booster will be my next step. Telstra have already said that they won’t be connecting the phone line.
Highlighted

The phone line you can put your foot down on. If you wanted one, tell them that it is your right and they have to provide it, if you refuse ask them to provide you with a complaint reference number (should be along the lines of SR 1-1xxxxx) and if not resolved that it will be escalated to the appropriate govt body.

They do have the right to provide the phone service via an alternative method such as 3G network, but, it is still provided to you as a landline service with landline costing.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now