Level 22: Superhuman

No DIal Tone, line busy, but ADSL is OK

Answered

Wierd, and I've already put in a line fault last night.

Here's what happened:

Sunday AM, while talking to a mate, I noticed a static that came and went over about 20 minutes, then there was a very high pitched  whistling.  The phone was still working, and my mate could hear static, but he certainly didn't hear the whistling.

Everything went fine after that.

Except - we could not dial out.  And when people rang in, they got a busy tone, even though we have call waiting.

However, no issues with the net.

So I checked for a dial tone, and no dial tone.  Obviously, I disconnected EVERYTHING for an isolation test.  I had ONLY the traditional land-line phone connected. So, no filters, phone directly into the socket.  No dial tone, and when I called using my mobile, I got a busy signal.

Well, we've had rain, and I thought, OK, since the net is working, we are fine. Except the net started going up and down like a pogo stick, and remaining connected for short periods.  Last time I saw that behaviour, someone was working on a pit at the end of the street (no telstra van, btw).

My line speeds DROPPED from 17k to 7k  so this was a tad disturbing, but since the line was being affected I thought, OK, I'll wait.

So I left it. Monday I was away, so I didn't worry about it, thinking it would sort itself out during the day.

Nope,  I got home later on Monday night, and still no dial tone, but the net is stable, although slooooowww. compared to what I normally have.

So I called to report a line fault, and yeah, the usual "have you done isolation tests, if we send out a tech and find it's your problem, then you will be charged (Why can't they look at my level of calls made in the past?)"  So she ran a test and said "There is an open circuit on the exchange, so we will get a tech to go and look at the exchange sometime between now and the 8th July"

The support person was quite good though, and got onto it as soon as we went through all the Identification and "have you done this or that script", but she was as surprised as I am that my Internet continues to work. If anyone has ANY idea, this would be appreciated.

BTW, here's my router stats, and my attenuation has NEVER EVER been that figure. I normally get betweek 14k and 17k connection, and it stays on for months at a time.

Routerscreendump.png

And here's my NORMAL stats:

Stats.png

If I've helped in some way, a Kudos would be appreciated.
Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Accepted Solution

Re: No DIal Tone, line busy, but ADSL is OK

UPDATE:  as of 3.00pm this afternoon, it's fine.  I could see the lights on my gateway going on and off, and upon picking up the phone, hearing lots of static going on, then a period where it was all dead, and finally it was fixed.

Kudos  to the Telstra Tech who got onto it, and fixed it.  Sorry he was out in the absolute pouring rain to fix this, but it's all fine as of now.

I'll be following this up with a personal compliment  email to Telstra management detailing the incident number, and my appreciation of the dedication for someone going out in this appalling weather, with the hope that they give the people involved a pat on the back.

Keeeping this post updated as it's possibly something new and we can use this for future reference

BTW, Here's my stats AFTER the fix.  Note the changes, including the attenuation. Still not as fast as before, but very acceptable.

stats2.png.

Any opinions I express or advice I give are purely my own, and don't represent Telstra.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
23 REPLIES 23
Accepted Solution

UPDATE:  as of 3.00pm this afternoon, it's fine.  I could see the lights on my gateway going on and off, and upon picking up the phone, hearing lots of static going on, then a period where it was all dead, and finally it was fixed.

Kudos  to the Telstra Tech who got onto it, and fixed it.  Sorry he was out in the absolute pouring rain to fix this, but it's all fine as of now.

I'll be following this up with a personal compliment  email to Telstra management detailing the incident number, and my appreciation of the dedication for someone going out in this appalling weather, with the hope that they give the people involved a pat on the back.

Keeeping this post updated as it's possibly something new and we can use this for future reference

BTW, Here's my stats AFTER the fix.  Note the changes, including the attenuation. Still not as fast as before, but very acceptable.

stats2.png.

Highlighted

Spoke too soon. Nothing but a hard static on the phone line.

Sigh.  Probably to do with the wet.

So I'll keep the call open.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi Wanglese, let me know if you need any help in following up on this fault report - I hope the connection can be restored for you soon!

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

So this morning, someone was working on the line while I ws on Skype, but thankfully the line stayed up.

Then the phone activated - static was so loud I was thinking someone had dropped an A-Bomb!

Anyway, it gradually got better, and better, and then my ADSL line started dropping out. Here's hoping that the good technician on the line can finish it up today.

Update.

So the Telstra tech came out this morning to do the check.  I myself was  busy changing modems ( it occurred to me that my T-Hub 2 etc was interfering), but that made no difference.

So the tech went to the pit outside my house, noted the noise etc, but we had a good talk about the issue. He tested, then decided he needed to go to another pit/connection.  Fixed it all there. Needed a new line, it turns out.

The very cool thing was he came back and finished at my pit, then gave me a card, which Telstra now encourage them to do, which has their name a contact number on it. 

If there are any issues with the work within 14 days, then I merely need to ring the number he gave, and a job is automatically allocated.

Nice to see this kind of customer follow up service, and I would encourage it.

JustinB
Level 11: Detective

Wanglese,

Though I appreciate we didn't do anything directly here to help you at al, I just wanted to say that it's fantastic to see such a genuinely great experience with a tech, and the dedication to follow-up service if it's needed.  Thanks for letting everyone know here.

- Justin

Telstra Social Media Team

anschmid
Level 3: Gumshoe

I have the exact same problem: My ADSL works fine but I have no dial tone only static when I pickup the phone and if I try to call my number from mobile it goes straight to network voice mail.

I have tried today to report this fault but I can't open a case online or use chat for home phone faults which is kind if genius because if your phone isn't working it be useful to be able to open a fault in some other way.

Anyway used my mobile to call put was a long wait time and didn't want to waste my mobile minutes. I requested a call back and the system called me back but when trying to connect me with a service rep the phone rang out.

Is there anyway Telstra team on her can help me to get this fault looked at?

Support Team
Support Team

Hey snschmid,

I am sorry to hear that you have experienced issues with having your home phone line fault reported Smiley Sad

There is an online form that can be lodged for a next business day contact to be completed. This can be located at:

http://tel.st/dv2z

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

anschmid
Level 3: Gumshoe

DingoDan, thanks for the form, that's exactly what I was looking for! 

Just filled it all in and let's see how we go. This seems to be a common problem searching on the Internet which happens from time to time. I didn't even notice for a while as I seldom use my home phone or anybody calls on it. Just have it as part of my ADSL connection.

SJF
Level 1: Cadet

I seem to have this exact problem since storm in Bne last ThursdaySmiley Sad18th)

ADSL working but not able to receive or make calls from/on landline; shows busy dial tone.

(This has happened before but then apparently fixed by Telstra technician working on lines a few houses away)

Have unplugged all handsets to no avail. Reported line issue to Telstra yesterday and they want to inspect sockets next week - v inconvenient. I may or may not be able to juggle other appointments to do this?

Can anything else be done?
flake
Level 2: Rookie

Exactly what I am experiencing now. Hopefully I can get some opinions by replying to this thread. I though that continuing on this thread is better than opening a new one.

I reported the fault on 1 July but no one has followed up with me and I rang Telstra this morning. After some standard response, I was told that a technician needs to come to my house. Appointment has been booked.

But having read this thread actually making me thing if Telstra has investigated the line or the exchange itself. I would like to hear some opinions. Thank you.

Technical Support
Technical Support

Hi Flake,

At this time, we need to wait for the technician to come out and investigate your service as an individual. 

If you are aware of your neighours also experiencing the same thing, please encourage them to report a fault. This may form a pattern and trigger a larger network investigation. 

- Shelly

flake

Ok Thanks.

flake

A telstra technician came over today but he could not fix the issue. He suspected that there is issue with my alarm system. So he recommended me to contact my alarm system provider.

Before he left, he said that my Internet shoud be back on once I restarted my modem.

Unfortunately I have lost my Internet now. After few time restart and plug on/off my modem and adsl line, my Internet still doesn't work.

I ring Telstra fault reporting center and was advised that my Internet will eventually will stop working as there is issues with the line. I don't think this makes sense. First, people say that ADSL and phone actually run on different cable. Second, it is very coincidence that the internet will eventually stop actually stopped after a Telstra technician has done something with my phone line.

The customer support officer promised to ring me back tomorrow.

Later I heard some noise from the Alarm system and it turned out that the battery is not charging. I am very disappointed that Telstra technician didn't put back my alarm properly. I tried to open it to see if I can spot something obvious and expectedly this triggered my alarm to go off. And to my surprise the someone from my alarm monitoring service came to check my house. Which means that my alarm has been working fine.

I would expect a better and more professional service from Telstra. Not only my phone problem not fixed, now I lost my ADSL.

Support Team
Support Team

Regrettably diagnosing a technical issues isn't always a straight forward thing but a process of elimination. I apologise that as yet we've been unable to resolve the issue. I'm sure when the team call you back tomorrow they will be able to discuss the next steps with you and we'll have it sorted as soon as possible 

flake

Thank you for your response. I have contacted my alarm service provider this morning and they have done some checking, dial test etc and confirmed that my alarm works perfectly fine.

Darknight0222

I have the same problem started this evening: ADSL internet connection ok but there is no dial tone.

I did the isolation test with no sucess, it would be close to impossible that all my devices are all faulty at the same

time. Actually, we had twice the line problem within two years before this, none of those was due to my equipment

problem. It usually took weeks to have the faulty line fixed. I just hope it would be quicker this time.

I reported the faulty line. Here is my case number: SR 1-594630419712

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi Darknight0222

It's interesting that your ADSL is okay but you have no Dial Tone on your Landline. 

As you have already reported the fault, you will now just need to wait for us to make contact to advise that we are investigating, or have resolved the issue for you.

Regards

chutneylover14

I am having same problem -phone line dead but internet working although slower than normal. Reported it over a week ago and technician due to come out next Tuesday. Was a 6 day wait to get the technician appointment. Telstra has diverted the home calls to my mobile at no cost. 

Just have to wait and see. 

NBN preparation works happening in the area so perhaps related to that but you would think Telstra could find that. Maybe just old copper lines in this area. 

Here's hoping for a resolution on Tuesday. 

Darknight0222

Thank you Lindy for your quick replay.

Update:

The phone line was dead around 8:00 PM (WST), I did the isolation test. After I used my PC to make a report and

posted the above message, the ADSL was dead after 11:00 PM.

So I prepared to be without internet for the whole weekend and turned the ADSL modem/router off and went to

sleep. This morning, I couldn't resist to the temptation to try my luck. In fact, I am really lucky. Both phone line and

ADSL are back!

I ckecked my email from Telstra service team, which said that the initial line test shows an inconclusive result. Does

that mean they were not sure what was wrong. I am wandering if it's possible that the line problem has been fixed

due to the line test.

I hope my luck will last long and the issue wouldn't reoccur any time soon.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hey Darknight0222

Considering you ended up losing access to the phone as well as your ADSL, that is a fantastic result. 

The email advising that your line tests were "inconclusive" would be basically saying they couldn't determine any faults. Whether they have done something while they were checking, I guess we will never know but it's certainly great to hear that you are back online again, and yes, that it stays that way. 

Thanks heaps for the update Smiley Happy 

rickjd

1. I have the same problem. Lots of static on the phone line and unable to make outward calls, but my internet connection over the same line still works!!!  How does that work? 

2. I have put in a request for a Telstra tech to srt the problem out. They will come in two days time.

But if it is my fault they will charge me $140. If it is their fault but they will pay me nothing. 

Surely they should fix it and pay me $140, yes?

have2usetelstra

Do u have the miraculous (at the time..) Thub2, tablet, that Tphone, etc  ??

had the same warnings from them,..$140 etc, etc.

Technician turned up, says your THub etc is a cr@p product that should be a doorstop! 

Plugged in normal phone - worked!  Now lending neighbours oldfashioned homephone, propping open 3 doors with DECT , Tablet, and Tphone.

I think Telstra should supply me with a FUNCTIONAL WORKING homephone - not at my expense!!

Whadda you all reckon ??

Goodbye Excess Data Charges

Hello New Plans.

Find out more