Highlighted
Retrotech
Level 2: Rookie

No dial tone in home phone

Answered

I have a bundle for ADSL and home phone from a retail provider. I have a wired modem and a cable handset - nothing

else. No other phone outlets. I last used my phone on 22/02/14. I was then away for a long weekend and

when I tried  to use the phone on 26/02/14 there was no dial tone. I can hear a ring tone when I dial from my mobile

but the phone does not ring.

I have tested the handset in my neigbour's phone socket and it worked. I have replaced the ADSL filter/splitter, and used a

different but not new adapter for the Telstra 610 socket. The phone doesn't work if I unplug the modem.

My service provider has warned me about the possibility of an incorrect call-out fee  from Telstra ($120.00 I think)

Local data cabling firm quoted $90 for 15mins then $98 per hour or part thereof plus materials so unlikely to be up for less

than $220.00.

The phone cable enters my living room via a hole drilled in the floorboards. The blue and white wires are attached to a

610 socket. Where it comes from before that is concealed by the plasterboard ceiling  in the underhouse storage area. I

can't see any sort of phone cable interface box on the house.

My dilemma is whether to gamble on it being Telstra's problem and possibly get service restored for free or call out a

cabling contractor to test my side first.

If it is not Telstra then I have to pay $120.00 plus whatever it costs to get my side of the cabling fixed up

Lacking technical knowledge I don't understand how I can be using ADSL but my phone won't work

when they both appear to be attached to the same two bits of copper wire*. (*Thanks Dave for the explanation)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 23: Superhero
Accepted Solution

Re: No dial tone in home phone

No worries Sue and thanks for the edit Smiley Wink

As I read it you have your telephone service through a different provider and I can only suggest you contact them which in turn will prompt telstra wholesale to do there stuff.

Cheers,
Dave

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
13 REPLIES 13

Sorry eyes going cross eyed trying to read that.

If you have no dial tone you have an issue. Call up and get it fixed...

You can use ADSL as it works on a single copper line as apposed to a standard phone that requires and positive and negative aka two lines.

You might be lacking in tech knowledge but certainly not in the way of complaining words together.

Cheers,
Dave

Retrotech

Thanks Dave,

I didn't mean to sound complaining - I was just hoping for some advice on who best to call first as I explained in my apparently

too close together typing. I realise now that it is possible to space the lines on this site without prematurely submitting the

post. I was trying to be thorough in my account to assist with trouble shooting.

Cheers,

Sue.

Accepted Solution

No worries Sue and thanks for the edit Smiley Wink

As I read it you have your telephone service through a different provider and I can only suggest you contact them which in turn will prompt telstra wholesale to do there stuff.

Cheers,
Dave

Retrotech

Thanks Dave,
I'll take your advice.
Sue.
Retrotech

Hi Dave,

Lodged fault Monday - 1 hour in public phone box! - Dire warnings again about incorrect call out fee, which I had to agree to even though they are unable to state a figure.

Heard nothing, but just now - Wed. 11.45am - got an incoming call from a charity  -  (not from Service provider or Telstra.)

So pleased to hear phone ring again, I bought some Art Union tickets - (don't worry I know who they are - I'm a regular)

Dial tone is back too - music to my ear!!!. Looks like someone came while I was out - pit cover appears to have been lifted.

So I didn't really need a new filter as my service provider suggested.

Thanks anyway Telstra guys and thanks again Dave for steering me past all the hurdles thrown in front of me by the provider's support people - I do have a tendency to get discouraged when things sound too complicated.

Sue.Smiley Happy

Thanks for the update Sue..

Happy days, gotta love it when things just work.. Pity they don't stick a calling card in the letter box just say hi and a basic description of what was wrong as allot of us like to know these things Smiley Wink

Cheers,
Dave

Retrotech

That would be nice, Dave, but they are probably under

pressure to fill out a satisfactory stats sheet at the end

of each day - all about numbers these days.

No need to reply. Thanks again.

Cheers, Sue.
michaelbarca
Level 1: Cadet

My home phone displays line in use, I have a cordless and a thub, both display "line in Use" when i go to make a call. 

Telstra said 20min wait to speak to someone.

I did an isolation test but no change.

Support Team
Support Team

Hi michaelbarca,

Welcome to Crowd Support Smiley Happy

This is definitely an issue that needs to be reported to our faults team on 13 22 03 (open 24 hours a day), especially as you have already completed an isolation test and there was no change. I can appreciate that wait times are frustrating and I apologise but our faults team can look into it immediately for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

IanG1980

I now have a similar problem. I've getting no dial tone on my landline and when I tried to ring my number with my mobile it didn't ring. It was working fine on Wednesday but as of last night when I went to plug back in my phone after unplugging it over the long weekend. Means I can't use my internet either.

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

Hi IanG19980, 

I would recommend contacting our home phone faults team on 13 22 00 (open 24x7) to have this investigated. 

- Patrice

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

talofa1

can someone help?

Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@talofa1

What was it that you need help with?

- Matt

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now