CrowdSupport®
Level 1: Cadet

No dial tone, line permanently open. If handset is picked up it affects the broadband line

Our home phone line stopped working on 4 December, originally we thought it was the phone itself, did followed all the tests recommended, but could not find a fault in the phone.  We purchased a new single line handset phone which worked until Wednesday 10 December 2014 and then collapsed with no dial tone or calls able to be made.  

We have no dial tone,but the line sounds as if it is open and the phone light is flickering as if there is a phone call in progress.  It appears that either the line from the street box has been left open by recent work being observed nearby or someone has hacked into our line.

Also, if the phone is picked up to hear the open sounds, our broadband internet starts to drop out, it appears to recover when the receiver is replaced.

We are concerned our line has been hacked.  The system of registering for assistance does not allow us to address the detail of this problem and we cannot ring the given number because our phone does not work.

Any assistance gratefully received.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Re: No dial tone, line permanently open. If handset is picked up it affects the broadband line

You can call faults on 132203 from any phone. If however you don't have access to even a mobile phone you can also report a fault online by visiting https://service.telstra.com.au/general/home-phone-fault/

Hopefully they fix your fault quickly.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.
Highlighted
Level 1: Cadet

Re: No dial tone, line permanently open. If handset is picked up it affects the broadband line

My mobile would be out of credit is I rang Telstra up, the wait time excessive. Thanks for your response anyway.
Highlighted
Level 23: Superhero

Then report the fault using the link I provided if you don't want to or are unable to wait on the telephone.
If you've found a solution then don't forget to mark that post accordingly.
If you think I've been of assistance to you please remember to let me know by clicking on the LIKE button.

Please note: I am not a Telstra employee and any posts or opinions are entirely my own and don't reflect any official company position.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit