CrowdSupport®
GLCT
Level 1: Cadet

Noisy landline

My landine recently (three weeks ago) developed a very loud background buzz making the phone virtually unusable.  I have spent three hours, spread over three weeks, talking to overseas help people on my mobile.  They were unable to fix the problem.   I have changed the gen 2 modem.  I have two different handsets, and the interference is still there when I isolate either from the system.  I have unplugged, replugged, factory reset, and a whole lot more .... more than once.  The internet is fine.  No dropouts, no drop in speed.  The help person I spoke to today said there was nothing more she could do.  Where does one go to next ?  

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 21: Augmented

Re: Noisy landline

@GLCT wrote:

My landine recently (three weeks ago) developed a very loud background buzz making the phone virtually unusable.  I have spent three hours, spread over three weeks, talking to overseas help people on my mobile.  They were unable to fix the problem.   I have changed the gen 2 modem.  I have two different handsets, and the interference is still there when I isolate either from the system.  I have unplugged, replugged, factory reset, and a whole lot more .... more than once.  The internet is fine.  No dropouts, no drop in speed.  The help person I spoke to today said there was nothing more she could do.  Where does one go to next ?  

@GLCT That is going to have to be looked at by a technician. It should've been reported as a fault by whoever you spoke to.

Try the Telstra Troubleshoot Tool https://tel.st/nnnk2 and then give them another call for someone to come out and look at it.

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
GLCT

Hi Ozmoz,

Good call. The tech has been.  It seems this is a common installation fault.  The original copper wire connection to the property should have been cut, but wasn’t. This eventually (nbn has been installed for months) caused the problem. Once cut, all is well. The noise level was so high it even killed the caller ID function on the phone.

Thanks for the help. Now it will be interesting to see if I’m charged for the call out. Seems it was a Telstra induced problem so why would it cost me.

Highlighted

@GLCT wrote:

Hi Ozmoz,

Good call. The tech has been.  It seems this is a common installation fault.  The original copper wire connection to the property should have been cut, but wasn’t. This eventually (nbn has been installed for months) caused the problem. Once cut, all is well. The noise level was so high it even killed the caller ID function on the phone.

Thanks for the help. Now it will be interesting to see if I’m charged for the call out. Seems it was a Telstra induced problem so why would it cost me.

@GLCT I'm happy that it has been fixed for you :-)

It is a little disappointing that the original support team member couldn't organise a call-out, so not sure what went wrong there :-(

I am curious, did you try the troubleshoot tool and did that detect a fault?

Hot pineapple donut and a cuppa.... Mmmmmm
GLCT

Hi Ozmoz,  I tried the troubleshooting link you provided. It eventually took me to a third overseas help person.  The tool didn’t find a fault.  No. 3 arranged the tech.  Everyone else continued trying to find a software solution to the problem. This included a modem change.  Twice the help people called my landline and agreed I had a noisy line.  Seems like everyone follows the same fault finding flow chart.  Probably the best way to commence solving the problem. One help person told me they can solve 90% of problems online with one phone call.

Support Team
Support Team

Glad to see this eventually resolved. Standardised troubleshooting can seem laborious, but as you've suggested, it's been specifically designed to quickly drill down to root causes, to accurately diagnose problems and discern their solutions. Please let us know if there's anything else we need to address. - Matthew.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now