Wanderer-Joe
Level 2: Rookie

OK I give up!

I'm told there's a definitive list somewhere as to which DECT cordless phones are compatible with the Telstra Gateway modem but I can't find it.
Specifically, I want to know if the Panasonic KX-TG6822 will work in wireless (sync?) mode, I don't want to plug it into the modem, it's in an awkward spot.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
9 REPLIES 9
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: OK I give up!

Looking at the Frequency used by the phone, being 1.9 GHz found here https://www.panasonic.com/middleeast/en/consumer/telephones-home-security/telephone/cordless/kx-tg68... it would appear to be DECT 6.0, Telstra modems are only compatible with DECT 2.0
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 24: Supreme Being

You should be able to pair the handset to the modem as it is DECT 2.0 compatible. Some functions such as the answering machine will not work because this will only work with base plugged into a phone socket.

Wanderer-Joe

Thanks buddy but that seems to contradict 343GuiltySpark's advice that it's DECT 6.0 and not 2.0 as ia required by the modem.

According to the specks the phone uses 1.88 to 1.90 GHz band which is the DECT 2.0 band

DECT 6.0 uses 1.92 to 1.93 GHz

https://www.panasonic.com/middleeast/en/consumer/telephones-home-security/telephone/cordless/kx-tg68...

Colour
B[Black]

Handset (Quantity)

Frequency
1.9 GHz

Frequency Range
1.88 GHz - 1.90 GHz

Wanderer-Joe

I have come to the conclusion that none of the cordless phones in Australia are compatible with the "Pair" feature of the Telstra Smart-Modem, not even the ones on the Telstra web site that are branded as "compatible".
All the phones at Big W, Target, JB HiFi and Harvey Norman have a sticker that says "NBN Ready" which is about as useful as a sticker on a new car saying "Steering Wheel Ready"!!!
What I was after was a cordless phone with a base that connected with the Smart-Modem's "Pair" feature.
The DECT version is not relevant if the phone does not have a "Pair" option to start with.
Even Telstra support told me the only compatible ones are those on their web site. This is clearly misleading, a total lie. I was even explicitly told the "Pair" button did nothing, it's just decoration.
Unless you have an old rotary dial phone, your current cordless will work when _plugged_ into the Smart-Modem. It's DECT 6.0 which supposedly isn't what is required in Australia but since DECT is only used to communicate between base and handsets, it's not relevant.
My solution was to purchase a Vtech with a transmitter base that plugs directly into the Smart-Modem and wirelessly communicates with the two satellite bases which can be located anywhere there's a powerpoint.
The other misleading feature is battery backup on the phones so you can make/receive calls during a blackout. This is bull**bleep** since the phones rely on the modem to function so if there's no power, the modem dies and you can't make calls!
The NBN Ready sticker is a total scam, does nothing to inform the consumer and in fact adds to the confusion which should be simple and clear.
Wanderer-Joe

The DECT spec issue is irrelevant if the phone doesn't have a "pairing" option.

Pairing is the same as registration. Look through phone hand set manual for instructions on how to register handset
There is vtech phone in Target for $8 that will pair with the modem.
Wanderer-Joe

Firstly, how am I supposed to know that? Secondly Telstra don't even know that!
I've seen Vtech's phones at Target, nowhere on the packaging does it say anything about pairing with modems.

It is very confusing for the non Technical person and it is not made any easier by ISP not providing manuals for the modems explaining among other things how to pair (register) a DECT phone with the DECT base in the modems and what type of DECT phones can be paired with the modem.
The phone manufactures don't make it any easier by not printing the relevant specs on the phone's packaging. When they say a phone is NBN compliant they just mean that the base can be plugged into the RJ11 socket on a modem or NBN FTTP connection box and work over the NBN.
I have a VTECH 1520 phone and it works paired to the Telstra gateway. Not all functions work but you can make and receive calles using the phone.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now