CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
JohnO2014
Level 3: Gumshoe

Old telephone wall sockets and the NBN

Answered

We're getting the NBN soon.

It seems we can plug our home land-line into the new NBN modem.

However, will the other wall phone sockets around the house work with the NBN?

I'm sure this has probably been answered but I couldn't find it.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Old telephone wall sockets and the NBN

The NBN modem should work plugged into any of the sockets but will work best connected to the socket connected directly to the lead in cable from the street. Having a lot of sockets connected to the lead in cable can also significantly reduce the speed of the connection and also cause drop outs. Its best to have a qualified electrician isolate any spare phone socket from the socket used for the connections especially if you experience trouble with your connection..

If the other sockets are isolated from the lead in cable and from the phone socket used for the NBN connection. you can then use them to extend the phone socket at the back of the modem to phones in other rooms.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
3 REPLIES 3
Accepted Solution

The NBN modem should work plugged into any of the sockets but will work best connected to the socket connected directly to the lead in cable from the street. Having a lot of sockets connected to the lead in cable can also significantly reduce the speed of the connection and also cause drop outs. Its best to have a qualified electrician isolate any spare phone socket from the socket used for the connections especially if you experience trouble with your connection..

If the other sockets are isolated from the lead in cable and from the phone socket used for the NBN connection. you can then use them to extend the phone socket at the back of the modem to phones in other rooms.

JohnO2014
Level 3: Gumshoe

Thanks for that.
I'm really struggling with the Telstra 'help' when it comes to the NBN.
I find their offers, online assistance both vague and incomplete.
ian3391
Level 1: Cadet

Do what I did  Buy a 3 or 4 set of digital phones   if you don't have  ,Plug the base station one into the NBN  modem  , Green  phone port .

You will find that all the other phones will work as normal  ,

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now