CrowdSupport®
Dawolef13
Level 1: Cadet

Phone doesn't work but internet does on landline

My internet works fine but the home phone doesn't. I've changed the splitter/filter(I was told that was a problem) several times to a new one and now to a straight splitter, no filter. Phone works when plugged in by itself but not when the internet line is plugged into it as well. Even when the internet is turned off and plugged in, the phone doesn't work. I can't see how this can happen. Any ideas?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6
Level 24: Supreme Being
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Phone doesn't work but internet does on landline

There could be a low resistance fault on the modem's DSL port resulting in line being looped as soon as modem is connected to phone port or there could be a  fault  on the line. I suspect the DSL port on modem is faulty.

Do you have another modem you could try? What modem do you have?

Level 14: Field Agent Mkrtich
Level 14: Field Agent

Hi - I take it you are on ADSL Broadband which requires an In-Line Filter/Splitter to allow you to make and receive phone calls whilst on the Internet, so suggest not to use the straight telephone line splitter which has no filter. Not sure if you are using a Telstra ADSL Filter/Splitter unit (e.g. C10 Model No. C10245M) which has labelled ports for the phone and the ADSL modem or a generic brand which may not be labelled.

In case you have a spare telephone cord, can you connect your phone with it to the In-Line Filter/Splitter local phone port? If this does not provide dial tone, do you have another parallel telephone socket in the home - it should also have an In-Line Filter/Splitter connected to it and if so, can you test the phone and internet connection from it. You may have some corrosion or termination issues on the primary telephone wall outlet. 

If the situation does not improve, I suggest you log a fault with Telstra for a callout to fix the cabling issue. When feasible, also recommend you apply to Telstra to have your service upgraded to NBN. 

Dawolef13

Hi, It's a Netgear N300 and I don't have another modem to try. Thank you

Dawolef13

Hi, Firstly I can't get NBN here, too many trees. I only have the one phone outlet in the house. I've tried a new phone and cables. Nothing works. I'll check all the phone line connections. Thank you.

Level 6: Bloodhound jhwiz
Level 6: Bloodhound

HI @Dawolef13, when you refer to too many trees, are you in an area that has been selected to be nbn Fixed Wireless?

While I am a Telstra employee, I am not an official Telstra representative on CrowdSupport. My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent those of Telstra.
Highlighted
Dawolef13

It was ages ago but it has to go from my house to a transmitter. The lines don’t come to the house 

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about direct debit and the Telstra 24x7 App ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now