CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
TD4
Level 2: Rookie

Phone number is hacked

A lot of unknown people are ringing my home phone number, telling me that they return my call. I haven't rung anyone!  Someone seemd to be able to make calls using my phone number! 

I recently had NBN installed, so my phone is now using voip via the Telstra gstewag modem. Can someone help?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
5 REPLIES 5
Level 22: Superhuman
Level 22: Superhuman

Re: Phone number is hacked

Would appear that your number is being spoofed. To my knowledge its not possible to stop.
For Official Support start a Secure Chat , try the Online Troubleshooter, Outage Check or Complaint.

Full Disclosure as part of Telstras Social Media Code.

Level 21: Augmented

Unfortunately, it is as easy to spoof phone number as it is to spoof e-mail address. There is not a known protection against this... I am sorry for you to be a victim, but "welcome to the digital world"...
DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Telstra or any other ISP. I never did. I have wealth of practical knowledge in Computer Security and Forensic Computing. I have been in the field since 1985.

Likes (formerly Kudos) and solutions are appreciated!!!
The comments expressed by me reflect my user experience and personal opinion.
Support Team
Support Team

Hi TD4.

I would recommend getting in touch with the nbn support team on 1800 834 273 and see if they can investigate this further for you, although if this is being spoofed by scammers for example there may not be much we can do other that look at changing your home phone number. 

Let us know how you go once you have had a chat with them. 

Regards - Tom

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Technical Support
Technical Support

@TD4 please call our unwelcome calls team for more information with this issue. We are seeing a lot more of this practice in Australia now. The practice of “using” numbers is known as spoofing. It is a practice commonly used by overseas scammers where they will randomly use any Australian number (connected numbers, disconnected numbers and numbers that have never existed) so that when their call enters our telephone network via their VoIP/Internet data calls it then displays to people as that number. We believe this practice is used because people are more likely to answer a call from an Australian number rather than one that says private or international/overseas caller. If they use a connected phone number the first time you become aware of it is when people start calling you back saying they missed a call from you. The choice of your number is generally totally random though more frequently now we are seeing numbers used just after they themselves received a scam call.

There are some things our team can do to assist and it is also worth reporting this issue to the Government's www.scamwatch.gov.au website as always, awareness of this situation may help others.

I am a member of the Telstra Unwelcome Calls Team.
If you would like to contact us please call 1800805996 - 6am til midnight (7 days).

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki
Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Kudo to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

TD4
Level 2: Rookie

Thank you, everyone for responding to my query.

What I have done is: delete my messagebox at 101, unplugged all the fixed phones (analog and digital) and let it rest for a few days.

After that while I plugged the phones back in and it has now quietened down, I don't get the phone calls any more from angry people.

So I guess the spammers have moved on to other phone numbers.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

I did not pursue it any further with NBN helpdesk or similar because I don't have much confidence that they actually can do something.

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now