CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Henery
Level 2: Rookie

Phone service using NBN

Answered

Hi Folks

My friends are 94 years old and not in the best of health.  Their landline telephone has just been connected to NBN fibre to the node.  They were never told that their phone would not work in a blackout, until I informed them.

We live in Queensland where we have storms and other natural things that will cause a blackout.

They have not had battery backup installed, and in any case that only lasts for approximately 6 to 8 hours.

What is available to them if there is a blackout and they need to contact one of the emergency services. For example an ambulance in the middle of the night during a blackout or a leaking roof after storm damage.

They have never owned a mobile phone, and to purchase one and learn how to use it seems extreme in case of a blackout.

Regards

Henery

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Level 24: Supreme Being
Accepted Solution

Re: Phone service using NBN

I would assume that the node would have some emergency power supply since they can usually also support FTTP connection which do allow the battery backup... but NBN Co are not very open with the decision that they and the government are making...

Hopefully your local member is able to be some assistance....
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
6 REPLIES 6

Battery Backup doesn't work on FTTN connections because the battery backup requires the NTD setup which doesn't exist in FTTN connections....

Normally one would suggest if they have medical problems requiring them to have a phone to make sure they are registered for Priority Assistance...but because of the way NBN Co are going about things it doesn't help with FTTN..

"NBN FTTB/FTTN Networks; a Telstra Voice Standard Service is not available, rather
a Telstra Voice Advanced Service will be provided to all customers with NBN
Services supplied over the NBN FTTB/FTTN Networks. Priority Assistance customers
should note that there is no battery backup functionality available with a Telstra
Voice Advanced Service. Accordingly, during a power outage at your Premises your
NBN Services will not function. You will not be able to receive or make any
telephone calls (including calls to Emergency 000 services) via the NBN Service and
your broadband service will also not work."
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

Henery

I understand that the battery backup system supplied with fibre to the premises operates the different devices installed.

According to the information on the internet regarding this setup the device charges a 12 volt battery, as well as powering the connection box. The power supply is separate from the connection box. In the event of an interruption of the 240v power supply, the 12 volt battery supplies the power needed for the connection box.

This FTTN service has only telephone service and no internet supplied through a Telstra Gateway Max modem. The Telstra Gateway max is supplied with a transformer that reduces the 240 volt power to 12 volts.

Is it possible for someone from NBN, Telstra, or whoever supplies the backup equipment to modify the power supply device so that it can output 12 volts to supply the Telstra Gateway max modem used for FTN services and still have backup?

As an alternative is it possible to buy a 12 volt Duracell lantern battery or similar battery to the one supplied with the equipment, and cable with a suitable plug to use in the event of a blackout? Obviously the lead supplied with the modem would have to be unplugged so that this lead could be plugged in as a way of making phone calls during an emergency.

Henery

You can try a UPS but the problem is that the way NBN Co have set up the nodes is that my understanding is that in the event of a backup even with a UPS it isn't going to be guaranteed that it can work...

NBN Co have designed the network so that there is no backup on FTTN... the only way to get a backup on FTTN is for NBN Co to find a way for it to be provided which would mean convincing the government to make it happen. I would suggest you could try your local federal member to tell them you feel it should be available.

Otherwise the only other option currently is to request a change to FTTP which comes with a price tag....
http://www.nbnco.com.au/connect-home-or-business/technology-choice-program/individual-premises-switc...
Helpful Links

Henery

By what you have said, the node (the box on the footpath at the end of my street), needs continuous power supply. During a blackout in my suburb, the node would have no power supply.
In this case what you are saying is if I power the modem by a petrol driven generator that also powers my refrigerator I would not be able to use the NBN service. The modem would power up, but the node at the end of the street would not be working.

This also means that the emergency services could not use their phones or other equipment in the event of a blackout at their node.  This is a ridiculous situation particularly during a severe weather event.

I may contact my local member as you suggested.

Accepted Solution

I would assume that the node would have some emergency power supply since they can usually also support FTTP connection which do allow the battery backup... but NBN Co are not very open with the decision that they and the government are making...

Hopefully your local member is able to be some assistance....
Helpful Links

msab

I found and installed this product for my lift emergency telephone. Where i needed to ensure I could make an emergency call from the phone after the power went off on the lift and NBN didnt work. It was really simple to install and solved all these issues faced with NBN not opperating when the power goes off. would work for many other similar applications.

http://www.pixeltechnologies.com.au/nbn

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now