CrowdSupport®
GrantCause
Level 2: Rookie

Please help my Telstra Call Guardian 301 MII is not working with my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

I have an unlimited bundle plan that includes a phone line with unlimited national calls that I have never been able to use as our copper cable had been disconnected at the exchange years ago and as I understand it the copper line is being disabled with the NBN rollout anyway. 

As I am paying for this home phone service I would really like to get it going.

I recently had drop out issues with my HCF Cable + Foxtel connected Gateway modem so Telstra quickly fixed the issue in the box in the street and sent me a brand new Smart Modem Gen 2 a Technicolor DJA0231 running firmware version 18.1.c.0384-950-RB. It required a second visit from the Telstra Technicians but after that it was fixed and working just fine. It was a great service from Telstra.

After asking the Telstra technician a few questions about the new smart modem I was told I could hook up a phone handset to the modem and use my phone line as VOIP over the cable. 

After all the cable issues were sorted I then went to the Telstra shop yesterday and asked for a handset I could plug into my new smart modem and was given a Twin Call Guardian 301 MkII handset that comes with an extra handset.  I followed the instructions and registered these with the base station. I then plugged it into the modem but no green light showed up. I then hit the pairing and I could see in the modem settings that it had recognised the two handsets but I cannot get a dial tone and it shows a Line Cord Error message on the handset.

I checked all the cables and everything is setup as per the modem and handset instructions.

I figured it must be some setting that Telstra has to enable on the modem from their end.

So I then rang Telstra support, I only just got off the phone with them and I must say I was less than impressed. 

I was told by the helpdesk person that I had to use the copper line. I explained that had been disconnected at the exchange years ago but was told I have a copper service and that the NBN Tech support team said I had to try it. So I plugged that in and as I expected I got no dialtone and a Line Cord Error.

So I asked again if I could get VOIP working via the cable modem and the operator advised me that the NBN Tech Support people had advised her that they were not trained in that so they couldn't help me with it. The NBN tech support team advised her that they believed it to be a handset issue as I couldn't get a dialtone via the copper line and that I should take the brand new handset back to the Telstra Shop for a replacement.

I know why I couldnt get a dialtone via the copper line as it has been disconnected at the exchange.

The handsets are working just fine, the modem has recognised and registered them and I can page the handsets via the modem settings. I just don't have a green phone light on the modem or a dialtone to be able to make calls.

This is all Telstra equipment talking to other Telstra equipment so surely it should just work straight out of the box like the salesperson in the Telstra store had told me it would.

I have read through the various related posts on CrowdSupport and tried a few things but nothing has worked so far.

Is there anyone who is familiar with setting up a VOIP phone on a Smart Modem Gen 2 that could assist me please?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
8 REPLIES 8
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Please help my Telstra Call Guardian 301 MII is not working with my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

Have you migrated your internet to an NBN based service?

If so, you plug the phone basestation in to the green socket of the Smartmodem.

If not, you need to call 132200 and request to be migrated, otherwise, once the NBN has been available at your address for 18 months you will lose internet connectivity as well.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Level 24: Supreme Being

Re: Please help my Telstra Call Guardian 301 MII is not working with my Telstra Smart Modem Gen 2

There are no settings in the modem to set up the VOIP service. The modem should be automatically configured by the server when the modems first gets connected to NBN. The phone light on modem should be green on an NBN service even if phone is not plugged into the green phone port on the modem. If light is not green then there is either a fault with the modem or more likely with the way Telstra has configured your connection.

If you have not transferred to NBN yet and phone doesn't work when plugged into cable then there is a cable fault and Telstra should send a Technician to investigate and fix.

See section 17 of document in linked at end of the post for Telephone settings in modem.

If support staff can fix the problem themselves they should escalate the problem to some one who can fix. If you support are unwilling to fix lodge a complaint. Link below has methods for lodging complaint.

https://say.telstra.com.au/customer/general/forms/Email-Complaint

GrantCause

Hi Jupiter,

Thank you for your reply.

No the NBN has already been rolled out in my area but I am still on HCF Cable. I haven't been advised by Telstra that I need to move to NBN.

Are you suggesting that I need to move to NBN just to get VOIP service working with the Telstra Smart modem? 

once the NBN has been available at your address for 18 months you will lose internet connectivity as well

NBN Co is a separate third party company to Telstra my internet supplier.

Are Telstra going to force me to move over to the NBN even though I don't want or need it?

Cheers,

Grant

Telstra isn't going to force you to move over the government is going to force Telstra and all other Telecommunications providers to turn there fixed line networks when NBN has been available in a area for over 18 months.

The only exception to this is were NBN is being provided by Fixed radio or Satellite. 

GrantCause

Hi Cf4,

I am not on the NBN. It has been rolled out to our area but I am happy with my cable service.

I have read that document earlier and followed all the instructions in the document you pointed me to regarding the settings in the modem. I can see the handsets are both registered and can page them via the modem settings.

This is the second Smart Modem I have been sent as the first one Telstra sent me had a fault with the light at the front where it wouldn't go green to show it was connected to the cable but only had the blue light showing for the mobile backup service.  The new smart modem is working just fine.

I will try calling Telstra support again on Monday and see if I can get it escalated as we are on their priority service list due to my wife's medical condition.

Cheers,

Grant

Highlighted
GrantCause

Hi Cf4,

Telstra isn't going to force you to move over the government is going to force Telstra and all other Telecommunications providers to turn there fixed line networks when NBN has been available in a area for over 18 months.

The Commonwealth of Australia is a corporation registered with United States Securities Exchange Commission (SEC) as CIK (0000805157).. See here: http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/805157/000134100410002039/0001341004-10-002039-index.htm

NBN Co Ltd ABN 86 136 533 741 is wholly owned by the Commonwealth of Australia as a Government Business Enterprise (GBE), incorporated under the Corporations Act 2001 and operated in accordance with the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act)

It is illegal for the Australian Government to do that under Australian Competition and Consumer Law.

Third line forcing is a form of exclusive dealing that is prohibited under the Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth)(CCA).  It occurs where one corporation (Forcer - Commonwealth of Australia) enters into a contract to supply goods or services to another (Forced Party - Telstra / Telco's and Australian Citizens who are considered as shareholders in the Commonwealth of Australia), which includes an obligation to buy goods or services from an unrelated third party (Third Line Party - NBN Co an Australian Government owned Corporation).

Cheers,

Grant

Always love a good conspiracy theory combined with abject ignorance of the actual law @GrantCause 

While the Australian Government is registered with the SEC in the USA, it is so that they can carry out business (like operating the embassy) within the USA. It has no effect in Australia under Australian Law.

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
GrantCause

Hi Jupiter,

I have shown you respect yet you choose not to show me the same.

I made no mention of a conspiracy. Your assumption that I have not studied law is incorrect.stated some facts and provided some references to support them. If those are proven to be incorrect then fair enough, I stand corrected.  

Irrespective of that the point I was trying to make was in a democracy we shouldn't be forced by anyone to sign up to the NBN.

It has been made apparent in the previous responses that if I want a VOIP phone connection via Telstra that I have no choice but to sign up to the NBN which is something I do not wish to do.

Cheers,

Grant

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App and direct debit ×

Avoid queueing up and never worry about late fees againSet up direct debit
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Find out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now