CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
jhenry82
Level 2: Rookie

Purple Telecom

Purple Telecom is a new service ringing up to scam people to transfer over from Telstra.

They will tell you that you won't be penalised by Telstra for cancelling your contract to switch to them. They explain it that your services are all still provided by Telstra, but they are simply the billers for your account, therefore you won't be penalised by Telstra for the switch.

The company that owns them is Telco Hub Pty Ltd, which was only registered a couple of months back, and has no prior history, which looks like the old Telco company reinvented.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 23: Superhero

Re: Purple Telecom

Good advise there jhenry, and thanks for bringing it to the attention of Crowd supporters.

I always like to deal directly with "The Man" no middle men whether they are honest or not, you can never be to careful..

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

NB: I am NOT a Telstra employee, just another customer like you.

Hello,

If you are quite sure of your facts and experience,  I would advise that you relate your experience with them to  the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman, possibly     also A.C.M.A. (Australian Communications and Media Authority)

As you mention it is a scam,  you can contact Scamwatch website if you believe it is

The above organisations have Australia-wide  responsibility for dealing with such matters. Unfortunately, the readership here is limited, and whilst  we do here realy  appreciate the knowledge of your experience, we can't do anything but post your experience.

If I have helped you, a "Like" would be appreciated.

If my advice is a solution, please acknowledge it.

I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.
"Being 75 years of age, entitles one to be an expert at everything!!"

There's no need to do that, they ARE a member: see below.

It's not so much that they might be scammers, which they aren't, it's the practices they use...

purple.jpg

Signature.gif

If I have provided an answer, or posed a question that helps or interests you, your KUDOS vote would be appreciated Image and video hosting by TinyPic
If I or anyone has provided a solution, you'll help others if you mark our answer as the Solution The Ghoust Writers: STUDYING ABROAD

They may be members of TIO,    but they are Not meant to tell the original poster what  he alleges they  did, so it is definitely  reportable by definition,  for the very reason that they are members of the TIO.

It is more than a practice as the original poster has stated.  Thank you

50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. Expert in current Telstra Go repeaters & smart antennas.

AS I SAID:

"It's not so much that they might be scammers, which they aren't, it's the practices they use..."

Signature.gif

The original Poster referred to it as a scam

Level 24: Supreme Being

Very interesting.

I enjoy getting calls from these sorts of mobs.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

mitchnic
Level 1: Cadet

I've had a call from this mob, the caller said I'd be so happy with how much I would save that I would send him a box of chocolates. He ended up hanging up on me for something I said... The trickery involved talking about NBN coming to my suburb soon which is a lie. Pure scam.

Then days later I get a similar call, mention that I had one already from Purple Telecom and this guy said he didn't know who they were. Again if I questioned too much they hang up. Same night get another call, this time the guy says he's from OneDial. Again they hung up on me. Then tonight they call again, this time from Prism Telecom saying they wanted to save me money because I've been with Telstra for so long (less than 8 weeks actually). Again they hang up because they can't handle my questions.

i can deal with these idiots, but gee I worry about folks who get fooled. Their stories can be quite convincing.

I love to lead them on. I went right through with one of them. Told them they had the wrong address and gave them the address of the exchange and told them I don't have a landline number and that my name was John Doe. They took all the details, then put me through to their "manager to read the terms and conditions", at which point I told them I wasn't interested and he screamed at me. I haven't had any calls since.
Helpful Links

Internet not working or outage in your area? - Check the Outage page for details and troubleshooting.
Help with an account issue? - LiveChat 24x7 support
View Usage, Bills and more - Check it out on MyAccount

Previously worked with a Telstra Partner however I am not a Telstra Employee, just a fellow customer helping when I can.

pnnm2010

I have recently moved and been with Telstra for less than 2 weeks my land line has been raining up to 8 times a night from 6-9 it's ridiculous I'm in real estate I know the calling restrictions and it's a huge breach or my rights as I have asked them over 10 times to remove my number from their register. But what is very concerning is that they have all my contact details full name and my birth date? How did they get all of that!
Support Team
Support Team

Hi pnnm2010,

If you have registered on the do not call register: https://www.donotcall.gov.au/ I would suggest doing so, as this will stop all legitimate telemarketers from making contact. We also have a range of services to address unwelcome calls here: https://www.telstra.com.au/consumer-advice/unwelcome-calls

Discovering an active number is unfortunately pretty easy, dialling every combination from 0000 to 9999 in your area code will reveal the active services. This process is often automated and a report generated for the humans to then use.

As to how they have got hold of your personal information I can't really say, other than we will never share your contact or personal information with third parties, with the exception of those listed in our privacy policy here: https://www.telstra.com.au/privacy/privacy-statement

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Dominica

They have just called me and after all the sales crap asked for my drivers licence and Medicare number... I don't think so! Told me the lady I initially spoke to had only been there since last week and he was training her. Then when I refused to give my ID details he asked whether i would prefer a bill will Telstra written across the top or cheaper rates. Told him I'd take my chances with Telstra and hung up

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit