CrowdSupport®
Highlighted
Level 2: Rookie

SMS text messaging service on home phone not working after switching to NBN

I have had the Telstra home sms service on my private Panasonic cordless

phone for years now and worked fine up to my last days on the copper network.

I could create an sms,and sent it to any mobile any network.I could receive sms

too but Telstra was limiting to receiving sms from other Telstra network

customers only.

But now that my homeline service is through the NBN HFC network, the sms

text messaging service is not working,that is I can not send or receive messages.

Except the odd thing is, I did receive this from Telstra 0198339999 (message

centre no) " Welcome to the Telstra text messaging service. You can use the sms

functionality within your phone to send,receive, and reply to text messages"

So i have received the above text from Telstar on 7th Feb 2020, yet i can not

sent or receive messages !! I spoke to tech support (in India) he was not even

familiar with the sms messaging from ur home phone, and brushed me off with

"its your phone not working - see your phone's retailer for help, its not a Telstra

feature !" So frustrating that operators dont even know what products/services

Telstra have. I tried to tell tech support , its on Telstra's website , it is a Telstra

feature , but on deaf ear.

Have others lost their sms messaging service on the homeline after switching to

NBN?

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Level 16: Special Agent

Re: SMS text messaging service on home phone not working after switching to NBN

Hi - when I was connected to Telstra NBN HFC, I had to get Telstra to re-engage my outgoing Calling Line Identification (telephone number) which for some reason did not get transferred over to my NBN service from the PSTN. If you can receive SMS texts on your Panasonic Cordless but can't make outgoing SMS, it may be that the CLI has not been activated as well. When you call someone, can they see your telephone number?

If not, suggest you contact Telstra and get them to re-activate it and hopefully SMS outgoing SMS texting may come back on.

Reference:- https://crowdsupport.telstra.com.au/t5/Home-Phones/Telstra-s-Fixed-Line-SMS-service-Talking-text-Sen...

Highlighted

Hi Mkrtich, thanks for replying.

I can not send or receive sms on NBN homeline. Only that one "welcome to Telstra text messaging service" came through. But you are right, in that, I decided to test my text messaging only after I noticed they turned off my CLI , and my home number would not appear to the caller displays of the numbers I was calling. I also made this comment to the Indian operator customer support I spoke to. I told him check more settings, sounds like teething problems of the network settings converting from copper to NBN ,but unfortunately his mind was made up that this text messaging was a feature of my phone and is NOT a Telstra feature !! The other odd thing that I fear it may be related to this problem is, they asked me if i wanted to have my home number set to private as in not listed in white pages. I said if there is no charge then ok. They said no charge and made me "silent" listed.The next few days I noticed my CLI stopped working and so I reported it. They fixed it within hours of the call, but i wonder if they accidentally tinkered with other settings that affected my text messaging to stop working. I used to be a Telecom/Telstra field Technician years ago, i sure miss the days of being able to ring any exchange then and talk to a trained tech directly about faults on behalf of a customer and get real positive results. Am tempted to take my cordless phone to a Telstra shop and test the sms messaging there - assuming they have the service there and they are switched to NBN !

Highlighted

Highlighted

I noticed in the link you sent me, mentions: Customers who wish to have a silent line and retain the SMS sending functionality must use the silent line type "CLI Line Blocking with Override" (Product code LBWOR) and change the CLIR override in the setup menu. 

I guess this means i would have to ring Telstra again, but how on earth would i convince them to check these settings???

Chris

Highlighted

Hi MKrtich,

I tried to send sms from my cordless to 0198339999 the words "BLOCKCLI.OFF", and i also rang the same number from my cordless and if I  followed the setup prompts, i changed the CLI to "Always show CLI on calls from a silent line".

I have received a reply back sms to my cordless with message"Your sms to turn off CLI blocking for sms has been accepted and processed."

But so far if I send an sms to my non Telstra mobile no , the sms boomerangs back to my cordless as a received message.It used to be before NBN that I could sms to any network but receive from Telstra mobile customers only, unless they changed it to both send and receive between Telstra mobile no only.

Anyway , i will try again tomorrow to send and receive with a Telstra mobile no and see what happens. But i feel we are getting close to resolving this problem ! Cheers. Chris.

Highlighted

Chris - I am old school like you and find the current technologies challenging but highly interesting. Always learning.

Not sure if this applies to your situation - after the call centre lady re-applied CLI to my NBN telephone service, which took some time, she asked me to turn OFF the modem, wait 30 seconds and then then it ON again. I assume the modem Reset synchronised the updated network controlled CLI classification to the modem as a new parameter on the power up. If you haven't powered reset the modem already, hope this may work for you.  

Highlighted

Ah ok . No, I did not reset the NBN modem or the data modem. Ok worth doing . I will let you know if any changes from it. Cheers.

Highlighted

I tried resetting both modems , still no luck. I must be so close and yet so far away ! I receive ok Telstra's own internal sms messages to my home phone like the "welcome to Telstra text messaging" and the sms confirming that I have initiated  "BLOCKCLI.OFF" but not to from anyone else ! Surely has to be a minor setting left off in exchange somewhere? So frustrating.

Highlighted

Chris - sorry to see that didn't work. The only other setting that you may wish to confirm is if Telstra has not enabled is 'SMS send blocking (Product Code SMSSNO)'. It looks like the service may currently be in the Sunset Mode of Telstra life support.

I have found this Whirlpool Wiki Article, no date and the author but refers to an end of life and product exit date of 30th September - not sure when it was written as it is not date stamped. It indicates the service has been migrated to NBN but expected to be decommissioned sometime in the near future, citing 2020. 

There is also more detail expanding on the information than the Telstra Web page, particularly which carriers it works between and the reference to the SMSSNO code. 

"Although this service is working on NBN it is expected to be discontinued in the near future ( possibly 2020)
You can send SMS messages to a fixed service from a Telstra, ALDI, LycaMobile and Pivotel mobiles but not from Optus/Virgin or Vodafone.
If you are sending SMS messages, make sure the fixed service does not have silent line type "CLI blocking Only"(Product code LBONLY) or SMS send blocking (Product code SMSSNO), contact Telstra on 132200 (Residential) 132000(Business) to check/change this. Customers who wish to have a silent line and retain the SMS sending functionality must use the silent line type "CLI Line Blocking with Override" (Product code LBWOR) and change the CLIR override in the setup menu."

https://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/telstras_fixed_line_sms_service

Highlighted

Yes, thanks for the forum link Mkrtich.

It can be a little confusing.

The text messaging service phone number in my cordless was "01983310" for sending and in receiving messages before I switched to NBN.

In the article they wrote " Talking Text SMS: Received calls from 0198339100 and 0198339999 is Telstra's Talking Text service." I assume these numbers work for both Talking and standard sms.

Further down, " *Telstra 7300 – Go into SMS settings and change the Receive SMS service centre from 019833910 to 019833911". The 1st number was/is the number stored in my phone. So which no should I use? Does any one of them work better on the NBN service for instance ? Or makes no difference?

Am wondering if should ring 132200 and tell them to have my name listed back again and not silent as i was NBN in case some setting not working. I have already did "BLOCKCLI.OFF" to show CLI on a silent line, even received a confirmation sms on the phone funny enough,which proves the service is somewhat working  - just bits missing in setup some where i guess.

Anyway, I will persist a bit longer and see it though hopefully.

p.s. Am surprised no one from sales/customer support bothered to contribute to this discussion as they do with other topics !!

Highlighted
Level 25: The Singularity
Level 25: The Singularity

I've just been digging through the customer terms documents. While there is a mention in the heading of the section that deals with the cost of Fixed Line SMS, the entry is now blank.

I would suspect (based on some whirlpool posts that I could date), that Fixed Line SMS was removed as a product on 30 September 2019.

I do recall reading about it on a Crowdsupport post a while ago (early 2019 from memory), but for the life of me I can't find it. 

The access number for the service will probably still be active for the ever reducing number of legacy services that can still use it (ie non-NBN services).

Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Highlighted

Hi Jupiter,

Yes, I agree with you that probably the home text messaging service will still be active on

non NBN connections, but am baffled as to I can still receive Telstra's own text message of "Welcome to Telstra's text messaging service" plus other messages like receiving text confirming that I have changed the CLI blocking to OFF.

This link on "Send an SMS from a home phone" does not say if it compatible with NBN. Even the list of compatible phones shown at bottom of page are not all available according to one Telstra shop I contacted. They offered me to get the Google Nest Hub.

https://www.telstra.com.au/home-phone/features-services#sms-from-home-phone

No unexpected surprises

With direct debit, we’ll let you know before we take out your bill and give you a simple way to check it.

Spend less time worrying about bills, and more doing what you love.

Setup direct debit