Softbl
Level 2: Rookie

Spoofing

It appears our home number and mobile number has been spoofed since late last week. We are elderly are are now on the receiving end of abusive people returning calls to our numbers for calls which in fact have never been made by us.

What remedies does Telstra have for these situations or do I need to cancel my home line and change the mobile number first issued by Telstra but now operated by a different company.

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
10 REPLIES 10
Level 25: The Singularity

Re: Spoofing

Unfortunately there isn't anything that can be done when someone spoofs your number.

Caller ID doesn't really have a direct link with the number that the call originates from and is easily manipulated.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Softbl

So we would be best to have our home line disconnected. And our mobile number changed to stop this ridiculous misuse of your allocated numbers that have been given to us.

It's not Telstra's fault that this is happening. People are just exploiting a weakness in the Global Standard for Caller ID (which Telstra has to follow) to make these types of calls.

You could try unplugging your home phone for a few days and see if the situation calms down, or yes, you could disconnect it completely if your carrier allows.

Unfortunately there isn't anything else that can be done. As it will be calls from legitimate Australian numbers that you are receiving because they have received a call that they think is from you, getting your carrier to try an block them isn't going to accomplish anything.

The sad thing is that, if you are really unlucky, you could change your number and still be caught out by exactly the same thing in the future.
Never be afraid to back yourself when trying new things, just always make sure you have 3 escape routes if things go wrong.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Softbl

We can discuss your options via our Unwelcome Calls Team on 1800805996 between 6am and midnight - 7 days.

This can include changing your numbers (landline and mobile) and investigating the situation in more detail.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Softbl

Unfortunately I tried to ring your advised number firstly and was unable to get through. Your advice is contrary to the previous advice that nothing can be done and it could happen again. We are presently considering our options and will wait a short period of time to see if these calls may stop.
Telstra (Retired)
Telstra (Retired)

@Softbl

Not sure how this is contrary, I'm sorry.

I've not advised that something can be done, only that we can look into the issue in more detail to see if something (if anything) can be done.

Our Unwelcome Calls Team can change your phone numbers on both your landline and your mobiles, which is something that has been advised in the above posts.

I apologise for any confusion, though in this instance, you'd need to discuss the situation with our dedicated teams on 1800805996 so we can check this out for you, discuss your circumstances, and work out how best to resolve the issue for you.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Softbl

I’m not at all confused. 

Contrary being that the first repliies stated that there was nothing that could be done about the situation and if I did change my numbers in fact this spoofing could possibly happen again. Which is contrary to your reply that your impossible to contact by phone team could look into the situation and see if anything can be done.

I believe the only option we have to stop these calls  if they continue and escalate, is that the home phone line is disconnected otherwise it could still happen with a change of number.

The great news is that exactly the same thing could happen with your mobile number too. It's a bit like winning the lottery, but in reverse.
Softbl

Thanks for your uplifting comment, making an old lady’s day start off well! No need for any further explanations from Telstra. I am fully aware of the situation now and of Telstra’s position in this spoofing situation.
The mobile number as allocated by Telstra is no longer on a Telstra plan and I do realise by your first comment that this could still happen by changing the number.
Level 21: Augmented

@Softbl 

Im not sure what Telstra could for your Landline phone, but would probably be something internal on their network.

however for your mobile if its an Android (pre android 8 oreo) based phone (not sure about flip phones though), you could use something like https://www.trapcall.com/ but requires you to put all your contacts into a whitelist. from what i can gather its basically like a firewall for your calls.

IF you have an Android phone with Android 8 Oreo (like my Oppo R15 Pro) you could go into

settings>Call>Block>Block Calls>

in here i have settings

- Block One-Ring Incoming Calls

- Block Hidden Incoming Calls

- Block All Unkown Incoming Calls

- Block All Incoming Calls (means no one will be able to call you)

Telstra customer 15+ yrs, I am not a Telstra employee and never have been

Kudos and thanks welcomed

If I have managed to outsmart myself and give a Solution please mark it as so.
Service Status in your area
Someone asked to check your ping but dont know how
Check all your connected programs

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now