archaica-schola
Level 2: Rookie

Static noise on phone line after upgrading to NBN

Answered

Static noise on phone line after upgrading to nbn.

I have been receiving static over my voice calls ever since an outage bout a month ago.

i have the smart modem gen2 (dja0231), with desktop pc, foxtel, connected via LAN.

one handset, connected via "phone" socket. no other devices' but multiple outlets in home.

question, do i need a tech or a line filter?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
archaica-schola
Accepted Solution

Re: Static noise on phone line after upgrading to NBN

EDIT; hi all,

after test's listed below, had isolated it down to modem or handset.

whilst on the phone (mobile) to order a replacement handset, the rep noticed I had telstra platinum, so handed me over to them. This rep suggested that we do some remote line testing.

after a shutdown and reset from his end, the voice line was now noise free. 

so all is right in the world again {well mine at least}, no noise, no cost, noproblems.

thanks to all, and by for now. Valeo:

PS: still might get new handset,like the new look.

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

@archaica-schola there is a button to mark a post as an accepted solution just next to the reply button for the post in question. It is great to hear everything is sorted out for you now.

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

All moderation actions are supported by the CrowdSupport Community Guidelines

Was this helpful?

• Yes it was, thank you
  • No, I still need help
12 REPLIES 12
Level 24: Supreme Being

You should not need a line filter and should only need a Tech to rewire house if you want to use exiting phone wiring to extend the modems phone port to other phone sockets in the house.

If you here static with the phone plugged directly into the modem's phone port, the phone port is isolated from the existing house cabling and nothing is plugged into modem's PSTN port then it might be a faulty modem.

Level 22: Superhuman

Are you sure that your not hearing the call hearing "noise" as call waiting is enabled as default, and the noise may be a message you're not aware is waiting for you.

Another possibility is your phone wiring ?  Can you try plugging your phone direct into the modem without any wiring.

A "Like" is always appreciated. If my advice is a solution, please mark it. I'm not a Telstra employee.
50 + years exp. in radio comms., eg mobile phones since 1963, two-way radios, base stations, antennas & pagers. One of my mottos: "Believe in yourself, and you can accomplish anything".
8-j
Level 1: Cadet

I've got exactly the same thing. A land line phone I've had and worked for years has become almost unusable with static on the line since NBN was connected on Wed.

We've also had a couple of other problems... a) lots of internet drop outs during business hours and b) Smart Modem Gen 2 not failing over to 4G connection when we get drop outs.

Problem b) has been solved with the purchase of a new Telstra Smart Gen 2 modem this afternoon. Now the 4G kicks in when it should, but the new Modem made no difference to the quality of the land line phone - still has lots of static.

I have it all wired correctly - it's pretty straight forward and the NBN guy checked it all. And no I know the difference between static and different dial tone you get when you have a message bank message waiting to be heard. Its almost unusable during a conversation.

NBN internet speed is fine when its stable, but its a long way off being stable yet. Call centre overseas has proven to be little help.

archaica-schola

Thanks 

paragraph 2 is what i have set up.

one handset plugged into modem, modem plugged into NBN CD, NBN CD plugged into wall socket. this is the ONLY wall socket used in the house.

so is there a way for me to fault find the modem?

archaica-schola

@ProfessorPhone wrote:

"not hearing the call hearing "noise" as call waiting."

no, it is pink noise, not a repetitive tone.

"Can you try plugging your phone direct into the modem without any wiring."

this is how i've done it.

but thanks for the reply all the same.

archaica-schola

helo,

so we are NOT alone,

watch this space.

The only way to definitely prove it is the modem is to try another phone, preferably a different brand phone.

To prove it is not the NBN link you could force the modem into back up mode by disconnecting WAN port waiting about four minutes for modem to switch to backup and then making a call.

If the noise is pink noise you might be able to get rid of it by placing an ADSL filer between phone and modem, but you If VOIP is functioning properly you should not need a filter

archaica-schola

thank you again, 

tried filter and modem on mobile network, still present, will try different handset soon.

Support Team
Support Team

Appreciate your patience. Please let us know how you get on. - Matthew. 

Need help? Check out our Community Wiki or Support Portal || Looking for a new mobile? Order online today || Get help with any Tech at Home with Telstra Platinum || Don't forget to tag answers as Accepted Solutions and give a Like to the member(s) who helped you out.

archaica-schola
Accepted Solution

EDIT; hi all,

after test's listed below, had isolated it down to modem or handset.

whilst on the phone (mobile) to order a replacement handset, the rep noticed I had telstra platinum, so handed me over to them. This rep suggested that we do some remote line testing.

after a shutdown and reset from his end, the voice line was now noise free. 

so all is right in the world again {well mine at least}, no noise, no cost, noproblems.

thanks to all, and by for now. Valeo:

PS: still might get new handset,like the new look.

archaica-schola

all sorted, see my last post.

how do you mark as solved?

Highlighted
Support Team
Support Team
Accepted Solution

@archaica-schola there is a button to mark a post as an accepted solution just next to the reply button for the post in question. It is great to hear everything is sorted out for you now.

Telstra 24x7®

Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App

Download now
Find out more about the Telstra 24x7 App ×
Manage your services and take advantage of offers while you’re out and about with the Telstra 24x7® App Download now
Earn points on our new rewards program and enjoy tier benefits like discounted movie tickets and moreFind out more

Need a hand or want to share your expertise?
Register for CrowdSupport and get involved

Register now